IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Only recently found out that this was even possible long after the days of hoarding unicorn PS3s.  So the new problem is that I STILL don't own any of the players compatible with this utility.  For a long time I considered getting a 103/105 and eventually waited to buy the 205.  But that doesn't help me now.

For the guy with 100+ SACDs, buying an old player makes some sense.  But I have only 15 disc so the value prop is a lot less.  One motivation is that a few of my discs are old and out of print (one of them is very special to me).

What I need is a friend that I could borrow an appropriate player for a day of ripping.

• 1 month later...

I was hoping to have a capability of ripping SACDs at some point and teb_b was able to help me with my collection the last time.  But when the list of compatible players then included the Sony S590, I thought, "I've seen one of those before".  And sure enough, my parents still had there's from when i bought it for them years ago.  So now I have it again and will begin trying out ripping method.  Thanks to everyone here who helped figure this out.

On 4/21/2018 at 1:03 AM, Phthalocyanine said:

@mindset

Yes, I've used the Malcolm Stagg browser exploit to gain root control of an S590.  And once one has gained root control of the S590 (whatever the method) one can run the sacd_extract_160 on the S590 to rip SACDs.

But it's easier to use the Autoscript folder scripts to gain root control on a S590, so I've generally used that.

I understand that Stagg has a method for bundling software modifications within a firmware update (delivered through a customized CD upgrade disc), so one can permanently install those programs on the BD player, rather than having to use a USB stick to run the program, so that's what you mean by the USB-memory-less operation.  As you mention, this is not for the faint of heart, because if you get it wrong you can permanently brick your player.  And I've never done it.

In my experience, and in the experience of others who have posted, when using a S590 with the Autoscript folder scripts, one cannot simply use the same method as the Pioneer 160 because the Sony has no setting to disable automounting of the SACD.  So if you simply run sacd_extract_160 it will not work because the SACD is mounted and inaccessible to the ripping program.  You have to add a step where you "trick" the S590 into unmounting the disc, and this involves going to the music setting and switching the multichannel to stereo or vice versa just before running the sacd_extract_160 program.

If you've figured out a method to avoid that "work-around" step, that would be great, but I'm still not exactly sure the order of your steps.

And perhaps this only works because you modified your player permanently with the Stagg method.

Is your S5100 permanently modified too?  If not, does the Autoscript folder script exploits work for that or only the Stagg browser exploit?  And you can confirm that you've successfully ripped SACDs using sacd_extract_160 with a S5100?

OK, I think I'm 95% of the way there.

To recap, I have:

1.  Secured a S590 (latest firmware, so no, I can't do SACD-Rs)

2.  Already setup ISO2DSD on my Windows Server machine on my network (I know this works since i used it for extracting DSF files from the ISOs that others help me rip from my own collection last year.

3.  Made a USB stick and verified it works.  It's only 1 GB and I was intended to do a server rip.  With telnet from my Mac Pro, I can access the S590 and login as root.

4.  I don't have sacd_extract_160 since that hasn't been an obvious reference on where to download that (I have the sacd_extract which I think is specific to Oppo/Pioneer).  So where is that?

5.  I'm assuming that in order to get past the autoloading problem, I do this series of events:

a. Load a disc

b. Force an unmount in the Music option (Multi to 2 channel or vice versa)

c. Run sacd_extract_160 (root: /mnt/sda1/sacd_extract_160) or wherever the true mount point is

d. Run ISO2DSD on the Windows machine.  Right now it reports "Fail to connect" since I guess that sacd_extract_160 isn't running

Anything else i may have missed?

15 minutes ago, Eric3 said:

First of all, thanks to everyone in this thread for the guidance on how to rip Sacd on  Mac High Sierra. Based on the recent comments, A Sony Bdp-bx59 (same as 590) arrives today, but I’m unsure about a couple of how-to details. So far, I’ve downloaded and installed the three files from ted’s July 21,2016 Dropbox onto an mbr/fat32 usb stick (in Autoscript folder at root). And, iso2dsd is ready inside a “Sacd” folder on the root of a large drive. My plan today is to select Server in iso2dsd, enter the Sony isp address, select stereo (my preference) and then start the rip.

So, am I missing anything? Do I have to mess with Telnet, etc? Will the  3 files from the July,21,2016 work for the Sony?

Thanks for your help!

I just got finished doing this.  Here's what I learned:

ISO2DSD is a Java app so if you don't have Java installed, go to Oracle's website and get it.

Your Autoscript and Autoscript.TSS files should look like this:

#MTKAT 0.xx script

CLI(CLI_exec cp /mnt/sda1/AutoScript/sacd_extract_160 /)
CLI(CLI_exec insmod /lib/modules/2.6.35/BDP/splitter.ko)
CLI(CLI_exec /sacd_extract_160 -S &)
CLI(CLI_drv.ir.rx.sq 0xaf000)

Also in the same folder should the executable  "sacd_extract_160"

Insert the USB drive into the player, turn it on.  Once booting is finished, load a disc and go to the Music menu and change the layer from DSD 2 channel to Multi (or reverse that, it doesn't matter).  This forces the built in player to "dismount" the disc so that sacd_extract_160 can access it.

Then run ISO2DSD and point it to the IP address of the player (you did right that down earlier?).  It should work at that point.

4 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

@Eric3, as you are doing this on a Mac you may want to be forewarned of a *potential* gotcha w/r/t the AutoScript file:  if you edit the file using TextEdit then there is high probability of it breaking insofar as the parser on the S590 is concerned. This due to line termination differences. Basically any time you hit Enter to create a new line, you will introduce a line termination that is not compatible with the player, which will “break” that line (or the next; I cannot recall ATM). Depending on what part of the file you’ve edited, the script may work fine; may not work at all; or do the evil thing of both working and not working: e.g. the tray ejects but you can’t connect with sacd_extract/iso2dsd. It can be quite maddening and promote profuse Scotch consumption as you bang your head against the troubleshooting wall. Or so I’ve heard. Basically the Mac edited file may look exactly the same as the working file on a character by character comparison in TextEdit; but they are different as evidenced by the difference in physical file size. 

I’ve made copious notes on the specifics of the line termination issue (which AFAIK is most likely to bite Mac users), but I don’t have those with me ... okay full disclosure... but I’m too preoccupied with acoustic happy hour at the pub to search my cloud storage for said notes ATM.  

So just beware: TextEdit may be harmful to your AutoScript health. 

Good of luck and may The Force be with you!  

Is this still a Mac problem (text files line termination)?  I'm old enough to remember when there were specific differences between a text file line termination between Mac, Unixes and Windows, which were all different (back in the 80s and 90s).  One was a carriage return, one was a line feed and a third was a line feed+carriage return.  This generally hasn't been a problem in a very long time, especially since OS X which is a Unix derivitive. 

1 hour ago, Eric3 said:

Well, I got my Sony to rip SACDs this afternoon on the Sony 590 I just received!  Special thanks to Sevenfeet for the tip about changing the music layer on the player itself before clicking execute in iso2dsd. It was no go without that step (I was mistakenly toggling channel mode on the iso2dsd menu instead of in the player).  So, for others who want as simple a journey as possible, here are a few tips I had to follow (drawing on the good work of many in this thread) for the Sony BDP-590 under Mac OS High Sierra:

1. Make a USB stick that has the Master Boot Record/Fat32 format. You'll need to use Windows (I had to use the Command prompt and then DiskPart to get this format). 

2. Use SACD_Extract_160 in the Autoscript folder, not the generic SACD_Extract.

3. After loading the SACD in the player, make sure you toggle the music layer from whatever setting is already there in Music Settings.

4. Make sure the USB stick is inserted in the player before you turn it on and make the change to the music settings in number 3 above.

5. It's OK to use the ISO2DSD menu for simplicity. Just select "Server", enter the ISP for the player, make your other menu selections and then "Execute."

Glad to help.  For me, the hard part was figuring out I needed to use the version of Autoscript/Autoscript.TSS that executed sacd_extract_160 with the -S "server mode" flag.  This sets up the player to accept remote access commands directly to sacd_extract_160 from another computer on your LAN. Originally I was using the local USB storage version of these files which launches inetd and telnetd.  That's fun since you can telnet directly into the player and monkey around but I'd rather rip to a PC/Mac and not a USB drive.

I had a USB stick formatted already for Master Boot Record.  It's an older one with just 1 GB of storage, but since I'm not ripping to the USB stick, I don't need to worry about running out of room.

Toggling between DSD Multi and 2 channel (or vice versa) is just to force the player to "unmount" the SACD that you load so that sacd_extract_160 can access it.  Otherwise if you don't, the player itself will take over the optical drive and not allow the extract program access to the disc.  It's a little hack but a necessary one.

12 hours ago, Dick Darlington said:

@Sevenfeet, if you’re old enough to remember Bewitched, it’s like “old Darren” and “new Darren”. The old Mac OS used one type of line termination and the newer iterations use another. I *think* the latter is the same as unix and the former was a single character termination that was not the same as MSDOS. The point is that New Darren is the same as Unix and yet that’s not what works for the S590 if not others. Current macOS is the same as Unix/Linux afaik and yet it is the Windows style line termination that the S590 wants. 

It seems opposite sauce to me but I can can assure you that if you type up an AutoScript file using TextEdit on the Mac it will not work but if you do it via Notepad on Windows it will. I can no ‘splain but it is what it is as they say. 

Sadly, old enough to remember "Bewitched" but young enough for it to be in reruns in the 70s. :)

And yes, I get the problems of line termination.  It's just that I haven't had to deal with it since the 90s.

• 1 month later...
6 hours ago, servoyguru said:

Thanks for the reply.

I hadn't committed to it, so am looking at the other models now from your list.

Hopefully I can pick one up cheaply and start ripping my SACDs ?

I was lucky to find my S590 sitting in my parents home theater rack now unused (thanks to Apple TV) since I picked it out for them years ago.