IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

Also, does anyone have a comprehensive list of the flags in the Windows cmd version? I'd love to have granular control over whether I rip the entire SACD, 2-track or multi-track only, ISO format vs DSF, CUE file, etc. Thanks!

Once you have the raw SACD.ISO, you can extract multi-channel (if available on the SACD of course), make DSF, cue files and so on with the ISO2DSD utility from Sonore which works quite well.

The ISO2DSD only takes a few minutes (on a Xeon PC) to extract stereo DSF from the ISO. Then use MP3tag to clean up the metadata for DSF. It's a bit of work, but now worth it to directly transfer DSD files to some of the newer portable players without having to convert to PCM or listen directly at home for those that have that luxury.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Thanks to KAL and tmtomh for the step by step. I'm a bit lost on the target folder selection which seems to be missing from both descriptions.

I take it, like when using SACD_EXTRACT.EXE, where the iso2dsd_gui.exe is located, by default, a new folder is created in the same folder and the target SACD.ISO is created there?

On order is a Cambridge CXU, let's see how that works.

Check out step 12 of my guide above: If you're being prompted to select a target folder, then the ISO2DSD app is still in "from file" mode - you need to click the "from server" radio button at the top left area of the window. Then the select target folder area will disappear, and it will be replaced by an area where you can enter the IP address of your disc player.

Almost - the ISO file is not placed in a new folder; rather, it's created in the same folder where the ISO2DSD app is.

Thank you that makes the process a lot clearer.

The PC don't see the player now, but it works. There has been instructions, that the PC must see the player, but at least in my case, it is not necessary. If my network is on, it chooses automatically, not only the IP address, but also the port, which is different that the ISO2DSD uses and server doesn't find the player.

? Please ... a few more words on the option, the post is not clear for me.

From the description if the Option network is on, DHCP sets the address and (incorrect) port. How do you know it is the incorrect port, did you try Putty/Telnet ? If DHCP is switched off, the player has no IP address and no communications unless the IP address, Subnet, Gateway, DNS are set manually. That's what I don't understand and missing from the post. Which OS you use?

The Cambridge players follow the OPPO procedures by looks of it.

Maybe to clarify something on the theoretical background: DHCP only sets the address (and gateway and DNS servers), but NOT the port. The port is requested by the appropriate server process, in this case sacd_extract. This is basic TCP/IP stuff, and nothing that could be done differently on these SACD Players than on other network devices.

Why it did suddenly work for Jarmo i have no idea, but i suspect that there has been more changes in his configuration that most probably were overlooked.

Thanks, will wait for Jarmo's reply.

Quickie question for those who's ripped SACDs successfully: Are your ISO's louder than the same RB layer ripped to FLAC? I have to turn down my volume quite a bit to play the SACD rips. FLAC and ISO are played from JRMC 21 w/ its volume maxed. Volume is controlled via analogue (I think) on my DAC.

Thanks.

-H

Another poster quoted the same checksums from PS3 to the non PS3 method, so loudness differences are perhaps in the DSD processing of your player/DAC, sumpin'.

Question: sacd_extract command line tool and avoiding clicks

sacd_extract reportedly has a bug that can cause clicks or other discontinuities between tracks when converting from ISO directly to DSF.

The solution, according to much discussion over the last two years, is to:

(1) use sacd_extract to convert ISO to DFF; then

(2) use Miska's DFF2DSF tool to convert the DFF to DSF.

Step (1) remains unclear to me. Should I use the -p switch to split the ISO into multiple DFF files, or should I use the -e switch to convert the ISO to a single DFF "edit master" file? Does the first option overcome the bug in sacd_extract? The second option seems useless because Miska's DFF2DSF tool does not seem to split a single DFF file into multiple DSF files.

Yes, there's been a few back and forths on this. I believe the latest ISO2DSD from Sonore has the amended SACD_EXTRACT.EXE that overcomes the clicking which on some DACs was very bad to some where it didn't show up EMM, PD for instance.

The Cambridge Audio CXU arrived today with great anticipation (and expectation bias). This was a demo model from a dealer, so reset everything to factory defaults, found the auto play and resume, switched both off. FW version is CXU-07-1031.

Just in case, created a new MBR with Bootice on a blank Sandisk FAT32 8GB and copied the Autoscript folder with 3 files to USB thumb drive.

Ran Sonore ISO2DSD, mistook the Server IP by two digits out, so lessons learned, write down IP address. Execute and away we go!

Ripping speed was about 2.6MB/s about the same reported by other posters. The metadata for the tracks was already there, added cover art, album details with MP3TAG, not much effort then to play. Just superb.

Many special thanks to the developers of this method, for a simpleton like me to rip an SACD, I really appreciate the effort to make this process as seamless as playing the music, and it's glorious!

Thanks...it might be but I output all media to 2x DSD via DoP. So the DAC should receive all signals as the same and my DAC's light indicate such. I found JRMC's Audio Analyzer tool and compared the a track's (Dire Strait's Money For Nothing) original redbook ALAC, redbook layer off the SACD, and the SACD layer. TBH, I'm not sure what all of it means.

[TABLE=class: grid, width: 800]

[TR]

[TD]Hugh Masekela - Stimela (Hope Train)[/TD]

[TD]ALAC[/TD]

[TD]ISO[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Volume Level (R128)[/TD]

[TD]-1.0LU[/TD]

[TD]5.1LU[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Volume Level (ReplayGain)[/TD]

[TD]4.02dB[/TD]

[TD]10.08dB[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dynamic Range (R128)[/TD]

[TD]17.8LU[/TD]

[TD]17.9LU[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Dynamic Range (DR)[/TD]

[TD]16[/TD]

[TD]16[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Peak Level (R128)[/TD]

[TD]+0.7dBTP;+0.7Left,-1.4Right[/TD]

[TD]-6.7dBTP;-6.7Left,-7.4Right[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]Peak Level (Sample)[/TD]

[TD]-0.7dB;-0.7Left,-1.4Right[/TD]

[TD]-6.7dB;-6.7Left,-7.4Right[/TD]

[/TR]

[TR]

[TD]BPM[/TD]

[TD]93[/TD]

[TD]93[/TD]

[/TR]

[/TABLE]

I also noticed sometimes the track goes into clipping. So the rip must be doing something funny as I don't hear that playing the SACD on the Oppo.

Anyway, still super convenient and thanks to everyone involved.

-H

Yes, the Volume Level of -1.0 compared to +5.1 is a weird one. DR is much the same, but the peaks are lower for the SACD rip, don't quite follow this.

Either:

Jriver's tool is wrong

The SACD is recorded too hot (high)

DoP issue? (....maybe, bit of a stretch)

You can't do a checksum, since ALAC and the ISO are different. Can you extract a DSF and compare the same to the ALAC?

My underlying theme is not whether the resulting file is rip-perfect or not. That's why I said it sounds paranoid to a lot of you.

"Somewhere" in this thread is a comparison of a ripped SACD from a PS3 and either an OPPO or Pioneer drive. The checksums are the same. If the search tool was better it would find the post....

As Cheezmo advised, best to start a new thread if it worries you.

First of all, this is great news! My PS3 is getting old so a new method is very welcome.

Has anyone encountered the following error (within the ISOtoDSD gui)... and if so, how did you fix the problem?

Failed to connect

libsacdread: Can't open 10.0.0.90:2002 for reading.

Other info...

Using an Oppo 105 with latest beta firmware. I got the tray to open once I inserted the loaded USB drive, but when I proceed to using the ISOtoDSD gui, choose Server Input, put in the correct IP address for my Oppo (confirmed in Network setup in the Oppo and through my router's connected devices list), along with the port number 2002, choose Dual, Raw ISO, then Execute and the message appears shortly thereafter.

My computer recognizes the 105 as a media device within the Network. I've tried it on 2 computers, and I've even made sure the connection (ethernet, not wireless) between computer and Oppo was directly through the router (no switches/wall runs/etc. in between).

I've also tried using sacd.cmd & sacd_extract - I run the sacd.cmd and I get a command prompt box pop up but then get a message saying sacd_extract has stopped working. I'm assuming it's encountering the same problem as above.

Any ideas? It seems like some sort of network issue, but I can't figure it out.

Just a couple of thoughts:

- The disc is a CD

- Switch off the broadcast "I'm a DLNA server"

- Try to unplug power from the OPPO, wait and re-insert the USB stick or try another USB Port.

Thanks for the quick response....

Yes, I can ping the Oppo from the PC (both PCs I've tried it on) - 4 packets sent, 4 packets received. I can play music pulled from both PCs on the Oppo.

I have waited before starting the rip - SACD appears on the Oppo home screen under the disc icon (tried several different SACDs... Cars - Heartbeat City, Earth Wind & Fire - Head To The Sky, Billy Joel - The Stranger).

Yes both autoplay and auto resume have been disabled.

- Is the host PC with Firewall software stonewalling the port 2002? If ping works, then this is the next to try.

- Other member reported to set a proper MBR (partition) on the USB so the OPPO would boot from it properly

- FAT32 USB stick has the folder Autoscript and in that folder Autoscript, Autoscript.TSS & sacd_Extract?

- USB stick a small one say 8GB or less, try another stick

FWIW, the Cambridge Audio CXU on powering up recognises the USB stick, with words "USB in" on the display and then the tray opens. The CXU uses the same chip as the OPPO perhaps this is similar behaviour. You mentioned the OPPO opened the tray once and since then not again?

Where do I switch off the broadcast "I'm a DLNA server" - Oppo (is that "My Network" in the Network set-up menu) or PC (I'm running Windows 10)?

Yes, sounds like the CXU, has the same name, this is switched off in my setup. Here's the definition of what My Network does.

The CXU can perform Network Playback in one of the following three ways:

• As a digital media player (DMP): the CXU can actively search, access and

pull content from media servers on you network.

• As a digital media renderer (DMR): the CXU plays content received

('pushed') from a digital media controller (DMC). A DMC-capable UPNP/

DNLA media server is required. Plus the control APP you wish to use which

must be connected to the same network as the server and CXU. Refer to

the server and APPs respective user instructions for correct configuration

and operation.

• Accessing a SMB/CIFS client: the player can directly access files shared

by computers through SMB/CIFS clients over the network, as if accessing

a local USB hard drive. Most computers especially those installed with

Windows, already have an SMB client embedded. Please refer to your

respective OS instructions to set up the SMB/CIFS shared file/folder

Perhaps the OPPO still looks for any of these, and sacd_extract on top of all this falls over. It's an easy option.

All other methods in your post are correct and Win10 doesn't have any special attributes, I'm using the same.

Another thought, I wonder where the metadata for the ISO comes from. Last night I ripped a Japanese domestic SACD and sacd_extract still ripped OK as unknown album. Perhaps comms to the Internet to obtain the metadata is not working? Not sure what actually goes on with sacd_extract.exe more than meets the eye. ISO2DSD doesn't, for the last 12 rips, I use the command line and the metadata is all there.

In an extreme case, data corruption caused by a ethernet cable dropped on a SMPS. To check, use the:

ping [OPPO IP Address] -t

option and let ping go for several minutes and see if the numbers drop off or perhaps some timeouts are happening, CTRL + C to quit the ping.

Oh and set the IP address on the OPPO manually.

Thanks One and a half.

I turned off My Network - no difference. I even powered the Oppo off and back on, and restarted the PC.

I pinged the IP address for several minutes - no timeouts or problems.

The IP address is entered manually - no difference. I powered the Oppo off and back on as well as restarted the PC.

...the mystery continues....

Scraping the barrel now. How about reverting the beta software in the OPPO to the last stable official version.

Latest update.... Success!

I decided to try from scratch again, so I used a different USB stick, downloaded the files, extracted the zip file, copied the AutoScript folder to the USB stick, copied the SACD_Extract folder to my PC hard drive, changed the IP Address, and this time it worked. Tried with both the ISOtoDSF gui and command prompt - both work fine.

So, even if the tray door opens once you insert the SACD, it looks like it doesn't mean all is well with the USB stick part of things - that's the only thing I changed - different USB stick and fresh install of the files - even though the previous USB stick opened the door properly.

If you get the error message Failed to connect, one thing to try (along with all the other tips and suggestions related to this post/error) is a different USB stick/fresh install of the files.

Thanks to all who provided suggestions!

...happy camper now :)

Amen to a saga that has an end. Happy ripping!

I finally got an sacd ripped:) Fantastic that we can do this. But here's the question:

When I use the iso2dsd program to covert the iso to .dsf I notice the resolution of the resulting files to be 24-96. I'm sure that isn't the resolution of an sacd so I don't think I'm getting an identical copy from the rip.

There are no settings in the program to set the output sampling.

The two I've ripped are Mofi's Blood on the Tracks SACD and AP's Pet Sounds SACD.

Any insights are appreciated.

Thanks

The extracted files should have a .dsf extension, right? This is DSD64 2.nnnn MHz.

OK, how are you playing the files and the output of the computer player is set to and what tells you the files are 24-96?

Yes, dsf extension. If I right click the audio properties tell me it is 24-96 (I believe I have dbpoweramp program as a shell so it has detailed info for all audio files).

Also, when I play the file my receiver verifies it as 96. Shouldn't it be 176? I probably shouldn't care because I'm not sure I could tell the difference anyway, but I want an exact copy if I'm going to bother with this.

I have my computer wired by ethernet to my 103 and play the files from the oppo's interface. I have the sacd set to play back 2 channel dsd.

The setting in the Oppo undergoes a conversion to play the dsf. I don't have an Oppo, there should be a setting to play native. The receiver must receive an output from the Oppo as the setting matches, what kind of weird system is that?

Sacd_extract faithfully extracts from the ISO to create a proper DSF. There's no conversion to PCM along the way and it is a process in your Oppo that converts DSD to PCM, and should be 176.4 (4 x 44.1) and not 96 (2 x 48).

Pity, that.

I've always thought these players had universal supplies rated from 100 VAC - 240 VAC 50/60 hz input. I would return it and get one with a universal supply.

The BDP-170-K (-S = Silver) version, according to this document works from 110V-240V, but if there's a transformer already, then an advantage. The transformer will at least reduce some noise from the player to the rest of the system and vice versa. The nameplate will give it away in any case.