IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

On 4/18/2020 at 11:19 AM, BluRay444 said:

Mikey, While others may be thinking about using it to convert file formats, I was more interested in it's editing capabilities on DSD files to see if it could clean up some transitions. I apologize if that was off-topic, I didn't think it was.

Regards

I've used the free software that works with the Korg MR2000S to clean up transitions. More recently, I've used the free Teac Hi-Res Editor to do editing of DSD files made with a Playback Designs Pinot ADC, as well as doing file conversion. It works very well. Now, whether it is converting DSD to DXD and back again, I have no idea. However, doing A/B/A/B/A/B. . .  comparisons before and after DSD editing I can't tell any difference between the original DSD file and the edited one. My system is fairly transparent.

Something to look at, anyway.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

23 hours ago, mlknez said:

The Teac editor is converting to PCM then back to DSD. If you bring in the files and compare them in Audition, you will see changes to the file even without doing any editing at all

Thanks for that information. Since I hear no difference between original and edited version, I'm not concerned that the conversion and back again is occurring.

I understand that others may feel differently.

Steve Z

VPI-HW40 Anniversary turntable, Grado Aeon3 cartridge; Teres turntable, VPI Fatboy gimbal, Dynavector XV1-S, Lyra Helikon mono; Taiko Audio Extreme server, dCS Vivaldi DAC, Upsampler Plus and Clock, Cybershaft OP21 Reference Clock; Playback Designs Pinot ADC; D'Agostino Momentum M400 amplifiers, Momentum HD preamp, Momentum phono stage; Wilson Audio Alexx speakers, 2X3 SVS SB16 Ultra subwoofers; Shunyata Triton v3/Typhon QR & Typhon, Shunyata Sigma NR & Alpha NR power cords, Sigma interconnects, digital and speaker cables; Stillpoints ESS grid system rack; Stillpoints Ultras and Ultra 5s, component stands and cones under everything, ASC Tube Traps . . . and lots and lots of music.

• 8 months later...

I don't think I'm the first one this has happened to, but after an hour and a half of searching through 212 pages I'm stumped:

Yesterday I spent part of the day ripping SACDs that I hadn't gotten around to. Everything worked fine. I probably extracted a good dozen SACDs. Toward the end of the process I'd just load a disc in the Oppo, close the door, go to the next room where one of my laptops is running ISO2DSD, click on Execute and go do other stuff, and later check back on the extraction. If it was done I'd eject the disc, replace it with another, go back to the laptop and hit Execute again.

This worked flawlessly until the last disc -- when I hit Execute I got the message:

Failed to connect.

libsacdread: Can't open 192.168.1.41.:2002 for reading

Nothing was changed in the setup. Absolutely nothing. My LAN was still up, the IP address of the Oppo was still the same (and there was evidently *some* communication between laptop and Oppo because when I changed the Oppo to manual IP and put in a free address, the copy of ISO2DSD recognized the changed address)

I've powered down the Oppo multiple times, started it with the USB stick inserted, started then inserted the USB stick -- either way the drawer opens in about 5 seconds.

Nothing has changed on the USB stick. Nothing has changed on in folder on my laptop where iso2dsd_gui.jar and sacd_extract reside.

Any help gratefully appreciated. As I said, it was working great right up until it didn't anymore.

Steve Z