IGNORED

SACD Ripping using an Oppo or Pioneer? Yes, it's true!

ted_b

For those of you converting to multichannel PCM, there is a feature within the program, Audiomuxer, that will change 4.0 and 5.0 multichannel to standard 5.1 without changing any of the data. It will be the exact same file size, it just adds silent channels to center and lfe channels so you end up with a fully compatable 5.1 flac or wav file. It is under audio conversion mixing options.

Are you talking about the DSD2FLAC app?

Cheers

I may have missed it in the thread but with regards to using an Oppo 105D (which I own happily for movie viewing), what steps do MacOSX users need to take and what tools/options need to be considered to utilize the steps on this thread from Ted's original postings?

For the above, page 6, post 127: http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-software/sacd-ripping-using-oppo-or-pioneer-yes-its-true-29251/index6.html

Keep in mind that there have been additional 'tips' since that post so recommend reading thoroughly through the entire thread, before it gets too big! :)

I would also like to see Mr. Wicked proceed with his proposed USB solution...when he has the time, of course!

For us computer semi-literates, can another short 'how-to' guide be done to describe this?

Try this to find ip address on osx

4 Ways to Find Your IP Address on a Mac - wikiHow

Most NIC these days are clever enough to work out the flow of data without a crossover cable. Problem is there's no label on the RJ45 to tell you how clever it is

Maybe I'm misunderstanding but, wouldn't he be looking for and assigning a static IP address in the player, not the computer?

For those using Android phones, I can easily recommend "Fling" for a network sniffer app. It displays IP address, MAC address and manufacturer's name of each device connected to your router. (both 2.4GHz and 5GHz bands, via a menu toggle)

Are you sure you don't mean Fing? Fling is a hookup app! ;)

Fing is also available for IOS devices and I also recommend it.

The amount of loss depends on PCM output rate and word length. In many cases the down-conversion output rate is low enough to end up in brick-wall type of band limiting which is absent from DSD itself. It is sort of equivalent of doing D/A conversion of the DSD signal and recording it again with PCM ADC (Jussi says that HQPlayer has one converter that sort of simulates DSC1 DAC recorded with "near-perfect" PCM ADC). There are many ways to do such and once it's done, properties of the conversion become part of the data. Since many DACs are delta-sigma DACs, it also means that eventually there needs to be up-conversion again.

Oh, I see, thank you for explaining that. May I ask what you mean by, "word length", in this context?

Thanks!

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Seeing as the 10X series are end-of-life, it's doubtful there would be any new firmware. I would be suspect of any new F/W, because if the Oppo/SACD ripping phenomenon gains even more traction, they may...at the urging of the recording industry...issue a new one for the sole purpose of "plugging the hole," as it were. Just say "no" to future upgrades, if any.

Oppo still issues firmware for the 83 so for sure, they will issue firmware for the 10X series for quite sometime, to come. Mostly it will be to fix issues for the playback of problematic discs. I doubt very much that Oppo would plug the hole on their own accord and if any pressure were to come to bear on them, it would be from Sony. Once the 203 gets sorted out and I pick one up, I will most likely relegate my 103D to ripping 'only' duties.

• 1 month later...
35 minutes ago, 1markr said:

Hey folks, the latest firmware version for the OPPO 103 is BDP10X-83-1226 (from late January).  I haven't updated my player yet; is anyone using this firmware and successfully ripping SACDs? I just want to make sure it doesn't break that capability before I update my 103. Thanks!

Go ahead and update to the latest firmware, it won't affect the ripping capability.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
2 hours ago, haggis999 said:

I have just created a Word document that summarises the process for ripping an SACD on an Oppo 103 or 105 using Sonore's  ISO2DSD.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/fsigs8b3m24ld56/AACV2LC2EHfEdiS41fQmlKPxa?dl=0

I hope this helps.

Good job and looks to be pretty much the same when using a Mac but, what about disabling 'Auto-play'? I'm not sure if it is absolutely necessary but was originally listed as a step. I disabled auto-play on my 103D.

Cheers

• 1 month later...
3 hours ago, Drewd said:

How do you even check which version of sacd extract you have?  I also downloaded iso2dsd_PC_v7, but i have no idea how you all are using it.  How does this connect with SACD-extract-BDP160?  I have a BDP-80FD on order, due soon.  I thought it wouldn't be this allusive (?), but now that I'm downloading this software I just can't see how it all fits together.  Maybe I'll piece it together, maybe not.  I might just need some time to get frustrated, calm down, and take another approach to looking at it all...  Nothing like sleeping on it...

Go to the first post, on the first page, and scroll down until you see a separate section "June 2017", a bit further down, you will see a link to the instructions for the Pioneer's.

• 5 months later...