IGNORED

AudiophileOptimizer BETA Thread (AO 3.00 beta is closed)

Hi Phil,

Your 'Milestone' picture above is certainly a terrific step forward. Dare I hope that we may get a shell replacement option for Upplay? Or is there a diy solution for 'general' shell replacement. 2.10, current release is really great and stable in my system using Minimserver, Jplay and Upplay in GUI mode. Now, for the next step???

Cheers,

Ron

hi Ron

does upplay work in Core and Minimal-Server Mode? If so, what is the full path incl. the executable?

best,

Phil

Thanks Phil. Hmm, my Windows 2012 Server skills may not be up to a full response, but here goes. I think the full path is Upplay: a Qt UPnP audio Control Point -- upplaysetup-1.2.4-w1.exe. I am using upplay and jplay so I am reliant on kernel streaming and as I understand the current development of AO 2.10, you have kernel streaming in core working in Win Server 2016 ('Milestone') but not in 2012 Server. So I doubt Upplay will work in core on Server 2012. The only way I know to set a renderer in Minimal-Server mode is through shell replacement and that is what I am trying to achieve. So I do not know about Upplay in M-S mode.

Maybe someone with more computer skills and motivation to try Upplay can chime in.

Hi

with path i ment something like "C:\Program Files\Upplay\upplay.exe"

Making Kernel-Streaming work in Core Mode on Server 2012 (not 2012 R2) actually was the "birth" of the AudiophileOptimizer, indeed we have KS on 2012, 2012 R2 and now with AO 2.10 b4 also on Windows Server 2016 RTM.

Best,

Phil

Sorry Phil. Path is C:\Program Files (x86)\Upplay\upplay.exe I guess then that Upplay should work in Core mode.

Cheers and thank you for your patience.

Not to 'guess', I am now planning to read the manual and beyond in order to proceed from the command prompt in core mode to hopefully locate and run Upplay.

Patience as in all things!

Cheers,

Ron

Aha - the small light bulb is alight. So, yes Upplay can run by kernel streaming in core mode. My skills though will not get me to:

'(u) - Set Upplay as shell replacement'. My clumsy use of syntax needs the elegant refinement Phil can add.

But, I now appreciate your initial response setting me on the path to better understand what is "under the hood" in AO. Thanks, mate!

Hi

Well upplay is not in ServiceTool, thats why you can't it there yet :-)

but you can confirm it does work/start in Core Mode?

Hi Phil,

Best,

Phil

Bingo!! At last I have been able to start Upplay from GUI, Minimal and Core modes and in each case I can link to Minimserver and Jplay. I did this by successively using Service Tool to switch between modes (after optimising with AO) and using a .bat command that I put together to run Upplay. Perfect result and a very happy early learner dos command writer here. It is now late in evening and so I have not actually played anything, but that should not be an issue. All is as I think it ought to be. Many thanks again for your patient support.

Best,

Ron

Hi Ron

good news so far! :-) did you meanhwile have some time to actually also play something? Did it work as expected?

best,

Phil

Hi Phil,

Yes, all playing sweetly. I have AO set either minimal or core mode; Jplay set to 'kernel streaming'; and Upplay links to Jplay so afaik all is is desired. I find Upplay does not play some files from Minimserver library and so I have also tried Jriver set as shell (minimal mode) and that runs perfectly in kernel streaming accessing music files directly from my second ssd and it seems to me, matches Upplay in SQ. Nice to have really good options. I have put BH/IB aside until I upgrade to Win Server 2016 and (I presume) will be able to run BH/IB in Windows 10 compatible mode.

Regards,

Ron

• 2 years later...

I am using Server 2109 Core with internet access and file explorer.  I did not think I had sufficient cmd line skills to go all the way with core alone.  Loaded chipset updates; AO; and jRiver.  In AO I say No to remote access options, preferring to stand to change playlists etc. 

With AO Beta 34 I have had no issues with jRiver remaining accessible and successfully linking to library files on an internal ssd drive and a USB ssd drive.  I use an EMM Meitner DAC 2 and jRiver Options show all expected ASIO, KS and wasapi options, from which I choose Meitner 2.0 (wasapi) for delightful playback.  I think added depth and a more organic SQ than ever before.  I have not added JPlay to the mix given its preference for KS playback.

I note frequent reference in posts to add AO -wasapi for wasapi injection.  I used cmd C:\> AO -wasapi which upon entry went to a blank screen.. Have I successfully loaded AO -wasapi or is my cmd syntax in error?

Cheers,

Ron

Similar issue with JRiver in my install.  Following earlier comments by 'Audio' Tuesday 19/2 and Thursday 21/2, I followed 'Tubeman's install order and details to the letter which gets me to a never ending spinning hourglass after loading JRiver.  My previous comment of Tuesday 19/2 was in error in that I was using Win 2019  Server Standard (Desktop) which I now realise is not core.  That however, did play beautifully using JRiver.

Can I uninstall JRiver and AO and try reversing the install, that is JRiver prior to AO?  Or, as I think Phil said earlier, installing AO requires a clean install of Server (Core), and that is, for me at least, a time consuming process.

Peter,

Thanks for the definitive reply.  Pleased your install of JRiver was flawless.  As already noted several of us have not had that experience in Server Core with AO.

Roon does appear to be the choice for full details of music files in a library. 

I have also spent quite a period enjoying BHE - SQ  not bettered for my system.  But the almost daily updates and fussing about to keep it running wore me down.

Thank you again,

Ron

Have now sufficient skills to get through full implementation although not to a successful outcome:

DAC: EMM-Meitner DAC 2

Driver: Meitner 2.0 ASIO

F8: Not needed

Player: JRiver x64 (but will not fully load)

KS: Yes, but not used

AO -Wasapi: Loaded successfully

HD: Audio driver not used

Have tried numerous full  re-installs but simply cannot get JRiver beyond hourglass, inactive.

Now thinking whether to drop back to 2019 Standard (Desktop) which allowed JRiver to run with great SQ but without AO, or move to JPlay Femto, Bubble UPnP and Minimsever plus AO??  Time will tell.... Have not tried AOb36.

Ron

I was responding to Phil's requests concerning DAC used, wasapi etc and noting I am unable to get JRiver to work with AO.  I will move to the general Server 2019 forum for comments on alternatives.  Sorry to offend guidelines for this forum.

New config and clean install:

DAC:  EMM - Meitner DA2 Reference

Driver:  USB DAC with XMOS xCore U8 output (KS)

F8:  Not needed

Player:  JRiver x64

KS:  Yes

AO - wasapi: did not install (have Meitner DAC 2.0 (Wasapi) driver available in JRiver Options but I think KS better SQ in my system.)

HD audio controller:  No

With AOb36 very impressive sound. 

• 1 month later...

I am running Win 10 LTSC for my non-audio computer and thought, why not for audio.  So I did a clean install (which is appreciably smaller than Win 2019 Server) on my audio computer (ASUS PN60 mini-form with Samsung 970 Pro ssd etc). 

Lo and behold, running AO3.39 in 4D setting, probably bests Server.  Organic, rich, deep and wide sound-stage with clear delineation of instruments/voices through my Wilson XLFs, from Meitner DA2 through Karan KAM2000 mono-blocks.  As good as I have heard my system.

Great job Phil with Win 10 as well as Server.  Many thanks.