IGNORED

Need something between Squeezebox Touch and Genelec SAM

My problem:

The Squeezebox Touch continues to send a signal even when in standby mode, so my Genelec speakers will not go into standby mode. I currently solve the problem by disconnecting the speakers from the Squeezebox by pulling the AES/EBU digital cable out of impedance convertor. This works but is not ideal.

What I would like is some sort of box with a digital coax and/or digital optical input and an AES output. It would also need to not send a signal when it is switched off.

Does such a device exist (for a reasonable price i.e. hundreds of dollars)?

Thanks,

Nicholas

My problem:

The Squeezebox Touch continues to send a signal even when in standby mode, so my Genelec speakers will not go into standby mode. I currently solve the problem by disconnecting the speakers from the Squeezebox by pulling the AES/EBU digital cable out of impedance convertor. This works but is not ideal.

What I would like is some sort of box with a digital coax and/or digital optical input and an AES output. It would also need to not send a signal when it is switched off.

Thanks,

Nicholas

Maybe one of the Mutec 3+ clock devices. Note: I haven't used one, it just looks as if it might do what you want. Not cheap at around $800.

MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-3+

The Mutec mc 1.2 might do what you want for less money. ($450 ish).

MUTEC - Professional A/V and High-End Equipment - MC-1.2

It converts from all the various inputs to outputs bidirectionally though it is meant mainly as a USB interface. Maybe worth investigating.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality. 

Thanks! It sounds like these might do the trip, I just need to check when the are switched off, they are completely off.

If you are happy to continue using your converter

Interfacing AES3 and S/PDIF

why not retire the SBTouch to use as a controller, and replace it with a Raspberry pi3 with a hifiberry digiplus board.

https://www.hifiberry.com/digiplus/

If you use piCoreplayer (also now runs LMS)

https://sites.google.com/site/picoreplayer/home

all you need is a switch in the usb power connection to the pi

ModMyPi | USB Cable with Switch.

should be possible for <$100.

atb

Ronnie

Just had another thought,

you could connect one of these to the SBTouch.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/GUSTARD-Native-384kHz-Gustard-upgrade/dp/B00PU4IXA0

I have one of these lying around somewhere and I'm sure I did use it at some time with my SBTouch.

I also have a small system into Active Mackies, and they use auto start.

I run the TV optical output and a raspberry pi hat dac into a small pre-amp

Welcome to FSA~ Enjoy your New Idea~~~

and then the speakers.

The pi, pre and speakers are on plugged into the same extension lead and I power off the pre, and just switch all three off.

When I switch on again (piCorePlayer on the pi) switch the pre on with the remote the music starts up. I have also done the same using Raspbian OS and Squeezelite/LMS instead of piCorePlayer on the pi3.

atb

Ronnie

• 1 month later...

Why not relieve the Squeezebox of DAC duties and get a DAC that can be used as your pre-amp and drive the monitors. I have a Beresford Caiman ( like years old and well out of date) between my Squeezebox and Rotel integrated amp. I think Schiit Audio makes several that would suit. Or is it the remote volume control you need.....might require a little more effort.

I run my Squeezebox thru Beresford DAC to Rotel integrated amp. The tape out on the amp to a six channel (3 stereo pairs) Rotel amp. I leave volume control on the 6 channel at 3/4 power and control zone volume with wall resistors. For background music in kitchen and out in back yard, it all works well.

I'd use a DAC as pre-a,p volume control.

I only use the digital output of the Squeezebox Touch. My speakers are digital - each speaker contains, a digital crossover, DSP for room correction, 3 DACs and 3 power amplifiers, one each for the 3 drivers.

8351A SAMâ„¢ Studio Monitor | Genelec.com

Why not relieve the Squeezebox of DAC duties and get a DAC that can be used as your pre-amp and drive the monitors. I have a Beresford Caiman ( like years old and well out of date) between my Squeezebox and Rotel integrated amp. I think Schiit Audio makes several that would suit. Or is it the remote volume control you need.....might require a little more effort.

I run my Squeezebox thru Beresford DAC to Rotel integrated amp. The tape out on the amp to a six channel (3 stereo pairs) Rotel amp. I leave volume control on the 6 channel at 3/4 power and control zone volume with wall resistors. For background music in kitchen and out in back yard, it all works well.

I'd use a DAC as pre-a,p volume control.

My problem:

Thanks,

Nicholas

I have a Behringer DEQ2496 that can do what you're asking. You may be paying for a bunch of features you'll never use, but it only sells for around $300. You can either turn it off with the power button on the face, or just switch to a different output. You can set it to pass through if you don't need any processing, and the dac should sound better than the one in the Logitech. If you live near a Guitar Center, go there because they have a good return policy.

Thanks! It sounds like it does what I need (plus a lot more). This one seems to do what I need for $100 less (but does not have the cool meters :-) )

SRC2496 | I/O Interfaces | Mixers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

I have a Behringer DEQ2496 that can do what you're asking. You may be paying for a bunch of features you'll never use, but it only sells for around $300. You can either turn it off with the power button on the face, or just switch to a different output. You can set it to pass through if you don't need any processing, and the dac should sound better than the one in the Logitech. If you live near a Guitar Center, go there because they have a good return policy.
Thanks! It sounds like it does what I need (plus a lot more). This one seems to do what I need for $100 less (but does not have the cool meters :-) )

SRC2496 | I/O Interfaces | Mixers | Behringer | Categories | MUSIC Group

That should work as well, but I haven't used one. I would look through the manuals for both units first just to be sure either will work.

I didn't realize your speakers have internal DAC's. If you don't need a dac, it would probably be better to just get rid of the Logitech. You can get a Samsung/Android tablet from about $200-$500. That and a cable is the only hardware you would need to buy. For software, there's many options, but USB Player Pro is an audiophile type player, and sells for about $10. It should be a big upgrade from the Logitech. It's worth it just for the screen alone. I have a Samsung S 10.5 and wouldn't trade it for anything, including an iPhone/iPad.