IGNORED

Have you done a backup recently?

23 minutes ago, Bob Stern said:

The two most popular backup programs for Mac are SuperDuper and Carbon Copy Cloner.  Both have been around for many years and are very reliable.

Smart Backup is free, but I haven’t tried it:

https://solesignal.com/smartbackup4/

Of course, the built-in rsync program is free, but I assume you don’t want to mess with geeky Terminal commands.  

(Carbon Copy Cloner and Smart Backup actually use rsync, so they can be thought of as user-friendly configuration interfaces for rsync.  I believe SuperDuper uses lower level system commands rather than rsync.)

I use Carbon Copy Cloner and recommend it wholeheartedly. One of the advantages of programs like this is that they do a smart copy and only copy over the files that have changed or have been added, greatly reducing the time required for a backup.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull

On 8/9/2019 at 3:18 PM, cambridgehank said:

Do you use Cloner instead of Time Machine? My iTunes files seem to be corrupted by time machine.

I use both: TM to back up my system/work drive and CCC to clone external media drives on a weekly basis.

BTW, a full restore from TM can take a very long time so I also create clones of my system drive on a weekly basis as well.

Don't know anything about iTunes. I use JRiver instead.

Sometimes it's like someone took a knife, baby
Edgy and dull and cut a six inch valley
Through the middle of my skull