IGNORED

Focusrite REDNet

Hi Guys - Some people have asked about the issues I've experienced with AoIP, so I'll try to give a quick example.

I had a Ravenna based device for a while. When I first started using it my entire wireless network would stop working. The Ravenna device wasn't even on a wifi network and nothing in the data path was wifi, yet it brought down the wifi network. After several hours of research I figured out Ravenna was flooding the network with packets and I had to enable IGMP snooping on my wifi access points that had this option. I don't expect Joe Sixpack the audiophile to figure out why his wifi goes down when playing music over wired Ethernet. In addition, enabling IGMP snooping didn't fix the issue for another user I know.

I also had to replace a seemingly good gigabit Ethernet switch with a managed switch (without needing to change any settings) to get anything to work.

Things like this need to be worked out for the home environment if AoIP is going to be viable at home.

I really hope AoIP takes off for home audio. Another option is always a good thing.

Ouch, yeah Dante/AES67 expects you to do QoS ... my 2p

Overkill for home audio. Aside from the networking issues (which can be dealt with) is the lack of a universal i.e. universally compatible plug and play virtual soundcard app which would connect any software to any DAC.

That and lack of Ethernet input DACs.

Worth it when you are going to convert to USB or SPDIF ... not really particularly if more expensive than the microRendu, milliRendu or number of other devices/NAA etc that can easily accept Ethernet input and USB or SPDIF output. Now if there were open source implementations perhaps it would become more widely adopted but for purely playback purposes, there is no technological advantage over something simple like NAA, or alternatively ASIO/ALSA over ethernet :)

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Not true if you use direct computer-->device connection. See my previous post and posts by others explaining their setup.

No, need to frighten people.

But yes, this is a Pro-audio device capable of being used in complex audio networks. But it can be used in simple setup as well.

Many things can be used in complex networks but for our purposes here there is a need to work in simple networks as well so I stand by my comments. There are specific situations where the complexity is needed -- really not for the current generation of home audio products nor users. Moving back to point to pint connections is a poor step backwards which I don't encourage.

If you use a Rednet D16, it has 2 RJ45 ports.

Connect one to your computer and one to your LAN. No difficult switch configurations required.

If you use a Rednet 3, it only has 1 RJ45 port.

Get a second NIC on your PC so your PC has two ethernet ports, and connect one to the Rednet 3 and the second one to the LAN. No need to use difficult switch configurations either.

So yes, if you want to get into the pro-level network setup, yes you will have to do pro-level network management as well. But it can be easily avoided by going another route.

And BTW, many cheap (semi-managed) SMB switches offer QoS settings already (not sure if they are using 4 queues though) and cost only little more than unmanaged switches.

Being "into" pro level networking, I like to balance complexity and benefit -- things should be as simple as possible.

Ok so multi-homed (2 network cards/ports) ouch! for no sonic benefit.

I do agree that cheap semi-managed switches are abundant. Again if someone is using multichannel and direct-Dante DACs then yes, the technology is awesome -- it's just for the average person here (CA) who wants to convert Ethernet (eg NAA) to USB or SPDIF , there's no need for QoS or multihomed. Maybe a "simple networking" setting could turn the clocks and broadcasting off ?? but I understand that's not in the target audience

Many of your previous points may be valid and reasonable theory. I agree that the REDnet devices are definitely overkill in terms of functionality and may be initially harder to set up for some. In terms of simplicity for the number of devices needed it is very simple. Ethernet cable>REDNet device> digital cable of choice> DAC. How many of us that have set up good sounding USB chains can say that? Some USB chains are even more expensive.

BUT...

...this is all moot for me because in my system the sound quality is just magic. I thought that is why we are all here.

It all comes down to the sound :)

Maybe a tutorial for config of QoS for Ravenna for the home network would be helpful (I like that solution much better than multi homed networks)

On thing that is important to notice though, is that Ravenna is the only open protocol supporting sampling rates up to DXD/384kHz, and more important DSD. The currently available Ravenna Virtual Sound Cards, both using multicast for the professional world and unicast for the consumer world do support DSD up to 11.2 (for now), as standard in the protocol, without cheating with DoP. These VSC are available for both Mac and Windows and soon for Linux.

Merging is committed to release usable technology, products and drivers, based on open protocols, allowing for multiple manufacturers to be OPENLY INTEROPERABLE at ANY RESOLUTION on VARIOUS MARKETS.

Ravenna has still some work to do on their Virtual Sound Card, but this work is actually being done, and very actively. We're progressing step by step, adding the necessary features for each market and applications as they're required, but the motto is simple, networked high resolution for all, and we're not that far.

Terrific to hear this. Will address my concerns. Of course we also expect native DSD512 and I know the hardware is capable of handling that ;)

the modules for both seem to require a similar amount of process horsepower to perform their rendering duties. Why is that?

The AES67/Ravenna modules I've seen involve an FPGA -- NAA does not use RTP as far as I know, I'm assuming a socket and without knowing any actual details, I assume NAA uses something similar to the ALSA/USB format just over TCP/IP.