IGNORED

Simple CAT6 cable mod

So shielding is important, but that breaks galvanic isolation, which is more important. Why not both?

I realized I could achieve this by simply removing the metal connector shield at one end of a noname CAT6a cable, retaining the cable shield without breaking galvanic isolation.

The effect was greater than expected. Better than optical ethernet? Maybe.

Two things…

- The mod process is very fiddly and you will most likely break off the plastic stopping pin, which is irritating. I did this.

- The bloody edges are bloody sharp and you’ll bloody well cut your bloody fingers off. I did this too.

Roon client on iPad/MacBookPro

Roon Server & HQPlayer on Mac Mini 2.0 GHz i7 with JS-2

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

Is it? I thought they float the shield (not terminated in either end).

LPS-1 & ultraRendu → Lampizator Atlantic → Bent Audio TAP-X → Atma-sphere M60 → Zero autoformers → Harbeth Compact 7 ES-3

So shielding is important, but that breaks galvanic isolation, which is more important. Why not both?

I realized I could achieve this by simply removing the metal connector shield at one end of a noname CAT6a cable, retaining the cable shield without breaking galvanic isolation.

The effect was greater than expected. Better than optical ethernet? Maybe.

Two things…

- The mod process is very fiddly and you will most likely break off the plastic stopping pin, which is irritating. I did this.

- The bloody edges are bloody sharp and you’ll bloody well cut your bloody fingers off. I did this too.

Could you please post some pictures?

Yes, will do.

End result (crappy photo from broken iPhone):

IMG_3476.jpg

Metal shielding. The middle folded bit is in contact with the cable shield inside the contact. Tricky to remove without breaking things...

IMG_3477.jpg

for the lazy people like me blue jean CAT6a is built like that :)

Is it? I thought they float the shield (not terminated in either end).

I would like to know as well. I actually have Blue Jean CAT 6a cables in my setup.

12TB NAS >> i7-6700 Server/Control PC >> i3-5015u NAA >> Singxer SU-1 DDC (modded) >> Holo Spring L3 DAC >> Accustic Arts Power 1 int amp >> Sonus Faber Guaneri Evolution speakers + REL T/5i sub (x2)

Other components:

UpTone Audio LPS1.2/IsoRegen, Fiber Switch and FMC, Windows Server 2016 OS, Audiophile Optimizer 3.0, Fidelizer Pro 6, HQ Player, Roonserver, PS Audio P3 AC regenerator, HDPlex 400W ATX & 200W Linear PSU, Light Harmonic Lightspeed Split USB cable, Synergistic Research Tungsten AC power cords, Tara Labs The One speaker cables, Tara Labs The Two Extended with HFX Station IC, Oyaide R1 outlets, Stillpoints Ultra Mini footers, Hi-Fi Tuning fuses, Vicoustic/RealTraps/GIK room treatments

If it is CAT6a and the contacts at both ends are not shielded, then the cable shield must be floating.