IGNORED

I need help finding a Network Attached Storage Adapter.

I have an 5 TB external hard drive formated in FAText, that I would like to share between two computers in my room.

I would like the drive on the LAN, and have it appear as a network drive in each computer. I'd like to avoid setting up file and printer sharing on one machine.

The drive contains my music libarary I and wanna stream from it using Jriver or MusicBee on each machine.

Now I've seem some adapters online but they all have very negative reviews, and appear to only work through some special software and are limited by Hard drive formatting and size. Are there an good ones around that would do what I need?

I have an 5 TB external hard drive formated in FAText, that I would like to share between two computers in my room.

I would like the drive on the LAN, and have it appear as a network drive in each computer. I'd like to avoid setting up file and printer sharing on one machine.

The drive contains my music libarary I and wanna stream from it using Jriver or MusicBee on each machine.

Now I've seem some adapters online but they all have very negative reviews, and appear to only work through some special software and are limited by Hard drive formatting and size. Are there an good ones around that would do what I need?

Use whichever computer you like and share the folders on the drive. You just have to ensure that the computer you select as your "NAS" can interface to your external drive ?USB. Look at a NUC. You can run either Windows or Linux on your computer.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Um I don't want to use a computer as a NAS. I want a NAS running independent from the computers. A 1 Server to 2 Clients relationship.

There is no NAS in the entire world that is not some sort of computer so pick whatever product you like.

You wanted to avoid "special software" and "limited formatting options" so I assumed you'd want either Windows or Linux. The "adapter" you seek is actually a small computer.

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Just get a low end Atom based system that runs off USB power. No fans, just a few watts, no heat generated etc...

Check out Pogo Plug also:

Amazon.com : Pogoplug Series 4 Backup Device : Networked Attached Storage : Camera & Photo

Thanks for suggesting the Pogo. Are you expereinced with these? I'm confused about whether or not they require some type of subscription. And Will the Pogo allow me to direct a music application like Jriver to the music library stored on the external drive, and stream and rip music from and to it?

Will the networked drive appear as physical or network drive in "My Computer" or do I need some special software to view the drive?

Thanks for suggesting the Pogo. Are you expereinced with these? I'm confused about whether or not they require some type of subscription. And Will the Pogo allow me to direct a music application like Jriver to the music library stored on the external drive, and stream and rip music from and to it?

Will the networked drive appear as physical or network drive in "My Computer" or do I need some special software to view the drive?

You don't need a subscription if you are using the base features. It's the cloud stuff that requires a subscription. I believe there is an Arch Linux release that will run on these units too. I have an older unit running Arch and Samba server.

About 30MB a second. Not quite GB speeds for the $20 I paid for it pretty impressive.

Since it supports SMB you will just map a drive letter to a share.

If its only audio sharing and streaming then get a $35 Raspberry Pi.

However, if its a proper NAS setting and you plan to move a lot of data then the Pi won't cut it being limited to around 65 Mbps. Go with an Intel NUC or similar device. A smart router will work too, I previously used Netgear with HDD attached to it (via USB 3) and shared on the network. Just need to map in the PC and it will show up as a network drive. However, transfer speeds are not exactly fast... even being on a gigabit network (wireless only) and with USB 3.0 accessing the files wasn't exactly fast.

FWIW, I'd recommend a Synology, its the best. If not then I like the Pi approach better. I have both at home and for the purposes of audio streaming both serve well. Video is another beast and needs my NAS with Plex.

Next to the Word of God, the noble art of music is the greatest treasure in the world - Martin Luther