IGNORED

Ayre Acoustics QX-5 Twenty – The Digital Hub

• 2 months later...

Charles, thanks for sharing on the boards. I used to just ask Alex to get answers here, but since he left for AQ, that hasn't happened.  It's more than helpful.

I too have a question. System is the newest Vandersteen Quatro's, AX5/20, QX5/20 and Steve Nugent rebuilt Mac Mini server with Paul Hynes LPS and a SSD internally filled with a lot of well recorded high res music.  I am currently only able to use the MControl via wireless on the QX5 (for Tidal streaming).  The server is USB connection (Steve installed an asynchronous USB board) using the AQ Diamond cable and a Basis power cord that AJ made for me a couple of years ago.  

I am about to get Comcast internet in the house (100mbs I think it is called).  I was going to bring the modem into the audio room to hook up the router for the house, but this way I can easily run a direct ethernet connection to the back of the Ayre so that I can use the streamer built into the Ayre and just use the music server to serve what's on the hard drive as Steve has turned off everything  that hurts audio other than Bluetooth that I use to control the Mac.

How would you set up my system for the best sound? Thanks so much.  BTW, when Johnny from Audio Connection was installing the VAndy's a few months ago, we called into one of your techs to help me set up my MControl app as it was acting up. Just GREAT service.  The went above and beyond.  

Wow, just so much great info.  Is there anyway to do a cliff note to set up the (modem, Router (suggestions on which ones to use as they have those new Eos etc..), switch, optical converters, optical cable, PSU's to use on either or both ends and if there are ethernet cables that seem to work best).

I have cognitive issues with the MS.  That's why I write down my listening notes so that I can go back and post when I forget things (although my long term memory is outstanding as I remember things after the fact most of the time).  I tried to read that long thread that was so kindly put together, however I wasn't able to as I"m not quite as technical as many of you. I do know that I need to set up any router with a separate audio only channel, but I'd love to have cliff notes.  

I have and love my Hynes PSU for the Steve Nugent made Mac Mini server I"m using. The question I have is can you even get a PH PSU? I know on that long thread there was a price list for multi rail (I assume that you can use that for multiple devices???) and single rail, but there was a long time where you couldn't even get one made and that you would lose money. Kind of like what has happened at Vapor Audio.  Great guys, great speakers, but not able to keep up with demand and the business side of things.  I'd love to be able to get PH PSU's for all of the optical conversions and the router and modem and then on the audio side for the server and one for the QX5. 

Hope I said that ok.  sorry to all if not. I'm trying, because I'm getting bombarded with folks asking ME what to do, lol.  Speakers, amps, DAC's, Servers, Headphones, Cables, TT's, Cart.....I give advice all the time and have for over 40 years now, but getting to the server and from the server to the DAC is just very complicated now.  I want the best I can afford (I do have budgets as I don't have a ton of money) for myself and also because I have lot's of folks who come to listen and want them to hear the best and then let them figure out what they can and should do.  Thanks again to everyone in this amazing thread.

<=Blown away.  Thanks for sharing. I understood isolation and layout, but that's about it. I'm sure others get it all.  Just amazing and very cool.  I listen to a ton of gear as Alex knew.  I'm constantly out listening and have been blessed to be able to get a nice system that I never thought I'd be able to afford.  I chose your gear because of how it sounded and not because I liked my dealer (I have bought from two different Ayre dealers) and felt I should buy from him only as many will do.  I guess I should ask, if the QX already has optical isolation built in, is an external isolation needed? It seems like it wouldn't hurt it at all and it's not the most expensive thing.  

As for USB, I"m using a simple AQ Diamond cable and it sounds great.  What are the tweeks some are doing with USB and why?    I guess that's for the board too.  I'm trying to understand all the Regen and Sotm gear and why folks are doing it.  Pete 

Thanks for that Charlie. I WILL do the external isolation as I have been planning on. Some folks are trying to get me to look into the inexpensive ethernet isolation transformers, but I can't see how that would be better than using the FMC's.  

For USB, I bought Shane Buttners's Audioquest Horizon (the WEL) balanced from the AX5/20 to the QX5/20 and he thew in the AQ Diamond, which is outstanding.  I too was told the Clear Ultra is special. I  will probably see if  Johnny will get one for me to try vs the Diamond.  I will say that the Horizon/WEL balanced made a full component upgrade difference that I was not expecting.  I had been using a Niagara which is also a very good cable.  I do like Cardas also.  Alex used to tell me to try it out.  I also am going to be ordering some of your footers.  Is there a special place to place them under each component?  Sorry, don't mean to hijack the thread, but often times the dealers don't fully know about set up for accessories.  Thanks.

great reply.  It's funny as I told Johnny to order a bunch for me, but I work with wood on my good days and when my buddy Al is over (I won't use power equipment anymore without full supervision, lol).  I will just cut up some 8/4 maple I have and make enough blocks for all my components and then cool risers for the speaker cables and power cables.  I don't have any interconnects on the ground, so I should  be set there.  

I stil have some mod squads down with my Krell Steath DAC from the 90's, lol.  I just sold my mod squad passive preamp also. I assume they were the same company.  I forget, lol.  

Cool story.  I only knew of your background going back to Avalon.  I didn't realize you started out with Theta. Not surprised as I liked their great a lot and I loved Avalon (couldn't afford it). I used to listen to their stuff when I had work in Pasadena as a great store down Colorado Ave I think it was. That was in the early 90's so my memory isn't the best. lol.

As for wood, I greatly appreciate that info. I would have asked Johnny to make the measurement for me as I realize how important that is.  I took up woodworking about 7 years ago, after the Transverse Myelitis/MS.  I have been blessed to have some great instructors including Mike Peckovich who's the art director at Fine Woodworking magazine.  I have a full shop with a SawStop cabinet table saw etc...  I have a nice V groove router bit that I may use.  I'll just ask my wood guys if they can get the Myrtle wood and if not, I have plenty of the Honduras Mahogany in the shop.  I also have a close friend who is always in the shop when I'm using power tools as safety is always first and foremost! 

Thanks so much for sharing.  I promise you won't find MY blocks anywhere, but in MY system.  First though, I"m designing and building a new headphone stand for my new ZMF Ori's (with Bocote cups) that are stunning in sound as well as looks, lol.  

I have heard your ref gear with and without your blocks and have heard the difference.  Very subtle, but very noticeable all around.  

Here are pics of a knife rack I did, a Japanese Kimiko toped box and a Sidney Barnsley, hayrake table and matching chairs I made out of quarter sawn  white oak.  I promise you that I won't lose any digits :)....I do thank you for mentioning that though as way too many folks try to do intricate work with wood and injure themselves.  I've seen it with many older craftsmen who rush. No such thing as too careful when using power equipment.

IMG_1312.JPG

IMG_0447.JPG

IMG_0305.JPG

That amp is the BEST headphone amp that I've EVER heard and I've heard a ton.  I just got a new/used pair of ZMF Ori's.  I'm having a balanced pono cable made by Audio Art as I've heard great things about them and I like the owner.  I have been listening to the QX5 using the basic 1/4" socket and it's CRAZY good.  I have had and used Stax since the mid 80's (Lambda Pro's), but they don't have bass.  I have had the 4's in the house as well as the hifi man's. Never the Abyss.

The ZMF on my bedroom Linn system (don't make fun as it's just for the TV and background Tidal streaming in the morning.  I love these as the tone beats all the headphones I've auditioned (we have a thread going on Headfi.org on headphones.  My buddy Matt has done the auditioning, however we are in constant contact and I have done a lot of auditioning also.  The top can for tone is ZMF's less expensive Blackwoods, but the Ori is VERY close and it has a larger soundstage, very dynamic and allows you to hear the micro and macro detail of the music.  When properly tuned (I'm using the lambskin ear pads, but am getting the cowhide ones as the bass is better), it's so neutral and coherent. The bass is very tight on organ music. I also enjoy Bella Fleck stuff and it is awesome and very well presented.  No extra energy in the low end like on so many can's and home systems.  Tina Gua's cello, on the Joe Bonamassa live at Carnegie Hall (we were there for the first night of taping) was spot on. You could hear the tone and energy that she plays with (I strongly recommend seeing her if you can.  Look at Youtube).  Joe's voice had that signature tone that he's known for.  The guitar work is typical Joe and during the very quiet solo's, it presented the dynamics of being there (saw him Aug 8th, so it's fresh in my mind).  

The Cavelli amp and the Woo amps (all of them) can't capture what the Ayre has for me.  I auditioned all the Woo amps as well as the Cavelli (their top one and I forget the name, sorry) with various cans from the HIFIMAN and Audeze and the Mr Speakers Ether C and wasn't blown away.  I did hear the Abyss for about 20 minutes, but didn't like them for comfort reasons.  I don't like Mr Speakers either, but they are the best looking and most comfortable by far.  The Senn 800 mk 2 which I've owned don't have enough bass are are too bright for my tastes.  The tonal quality that everyone loves are off as they lack the foundation of the music as they aren't great in the sub bass regions.  I haven't hear them on the Ayre, but I'd surmise that they are going to age their best with them. 

I know that after the engineers got the DAC design down, they were told to go all out on the headphone amp and make it as good as they could.  I don't know what budget they were given, but I was told they were so excited to be able to take a great headphone amp design and beef it up and make it world class.  To MY ears and listening tastes, they'd accomplished that goal.  Hope that helps a bit.  I can promise you that you need to go audition it with your headphones if you can.  

Gyp, do you own one of Neil's servers already? If you want to contact me off line feel free at [email protected].  I have one friend who is using the Diamond that is souped up (that's just for more speed, but doesn't affect the sound). I've heard Neil's gear many times.  

My friend is getting a SGMII soon and I too may get it in, however I've found that computer based audio isn't as good as say the Melco and Aurender devices. That's why I too am looking forward to see which company Charles is talking about and what the price range is. I would love to change out my Mac Mini as I've stated before as I'm not a techie and I am scared to make changes or hook it up to the internet. 

Charles, I notice the 'not yet' portion of your post on the USB drives.  Too bad you can't also make it a Roon core as you do that, lol.  Wouldn't that help a great deal IRT timing issues?  If so, I assume that a thumb drive would sound best?  Does the remote app show what's on the drive?  I assume so, but again, am just learning. Thanks

2 minutes ago, Gyp48 said:

CT, no I don't own a Music Vault.  My understanding (correct me if I'm wrong) is Neil can provide a server with Roon Core?  If that's the case, and having the QX-5 as an endpoint, I'd be set...correct?  Yep, I'm a babe in the woods with this stuff, but I am wanting to move up to higher end digital audio, largely streaming Tidal and playing purchased Hi-Res files and ripped CDs.

gyp, yes Neil can do anything you want, however if it's just straight up sound quality, I personally would say away from the computer based servers as I mentioned.  I was told by someone who has a Melco that yes you can put the Roon core server on the network and use it with the Melco.  I am not sure how to do that, but he said it was easy and even put a graphic on the post.  I forget which site that was.  

There is a thread on Audiogon about the best dac for redbook CD.  Look it up. It's been going for a couple of years or more and is too many pages to count.  We are discussing and auditioning servers and so far not one has bested the Aurender N10.  Matt hasn't auditioned the SGMII yet, but will soon and he's still trying to get a Melco N1ZH in the house.  I have been in touch with Alan Ainsley of Melco, but he's a designer or something at Melco.  I don't know anyone at the US distributor, so I haven't tried to reach out and I don't know of any dealers who even have this unit in the mk 2 in the store.  I have a feeling it will give the N10 a major run for it's money.  I really like the less expensive one better than the Aurender N100.  I do like the Aurender interface and support much more though.  Melco really needs to work on their app.  

Thanks for sharing that.  I will reach out to a network guy I'm friendly with who posts on these forums.  He part of that group who started the optical ethernet isolation and has been auditioning various switches, converter units and LPS's.  He may know how it can be done.  I only saw posts one thread about a year ago that said that they had successfully integrated Roon core while using the Melco server.  They don't speak the same language so I never thought it could be done.  I'm sure if you search you will find it.

Ok, I just check out the Roon forums.  You can't properly integrate the two for the reason's that Charles shared which is what Alan from Melco told me a couple of years ago.  They don't speak the same language..   The person that got them to 'work together', just pointed the NAS running Roon to the Melco, but kept the files on the NAS, so the Melco wasn't even in the equation for the most part.  The sound quality was not close to the Melco (surprise).

The bottom line is Roon is fun and a great program.  Melco and Aurender servers sound so much better than using a computer based server (in the ears of many of us) that is running Roon.  Right now you can't have it both ways, but there are programs to run Melco now that are outstanding and so much better than they used to be and are getting better daily. Melco had been working on their own dedicated  app, but I need to reach out to see what's up with that.  The Aurender app is outstanding and they are updating it all the time. It looks great and is easy to use.  So many folks are now streaming Tidal 80% of the time and want to go with the best sound quality.

I spoke with someone last week who uses Roon with HQ Player on a hand built Windows computer and raved about how it was the best server he's ever heard etc....  We spoke offline and I asked him his ref system to get an idea of where he's coming from.  I then asked if he ever had the Melco or Aurender in to audition or even if he's heard either piece in a store.  The answer was no. I've heard a few folks recently say the same thing about their computer based systems running Roon/HQ Player but again, none have heard the alternative.  One guy is in CT and I want to get down to hear his system to hear for myself.  

As I said, my close friend, Matt has had nearly all the DAC's on the market in the 10k up range and done a shoot out.  He hasn't had the QX5 in yet and I haven't been able to get down there to listen on mine with him, but he had yet to hear a computer based server that comes close to his Aurender N10.  I like the Melco lower unit over the N100 and Melco has new and better sounding servers than the one I listened to.  

• 3 months later...