IGNORED

Ethernet input DACS

Ravenna/AES67 too but either way you'd need to install a virtual soundcard and unless the Ravenna/AES67 input modules become cheaper, they are likely to be limited to higher end. If you just stream the data over Ethernet, the protocol can be *very* simple.

As discussed elsewhere--and I have been a broken record on the issue for several years--adoption of AES67/Ravenna (or other possible audio over Ethernet protocols) very much depends upon the availability (sponsored or free license) of virtual sound card software. It needs to be kept current through operating system updates, should be available on Windows, OS X, and Linux, and should be capable of handling 24/384 and DSD. It also is important that it operate at a low enough level such that it does not impose any sonic signature (I have tried some VSC s/w such as Airfoil which situates itself too high and the resulting SQ was terrible).

Recently, at this post in the http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/focusrite-rednet-28878/index10.html#post560026 thread, Mr. Brulhart of Merging Technologies addressed my question/suggestion that Merging consider going beyond only offering a free license to the 44/48-limited OS X version of their Core Audio AES67 VSC.

His reply indicated that they may indeed begin offering OEMs hardware (modules) and VSC software for Ravenna. The latter is easily the biggest news for the long-delayed promise of broad market of Ethernet-input DACs. Though the time-frame and whether the s/w will be tied just to their OEM modules (and the price of such modules) are still unknowns.

So if people are looking for something in Ethernet audio to hold their breath about, I think the above is it. Because there is no sign that AES67/Ravenna support is ever going to woven directly into future Windows or OS X versions (it's 2016 and Microsoft still does not include UAC2 support in Windows 10!).

Cheers,

--Alex C.

I changed my library from a WD USB Portable HD to an Apple Time Capsule and the sound is much better now.

I'm using the Apple Time Capsule with ethernet cable, a thunderbolt to ethernet adapter and wifi disabled...

The same USB WD HD connected to the USB input of the Apple Time Capsule sounds better also, who can explain that?

No surprise at all. In much of computer audio key variables for SQ are the active hardware and software interfaces and processes of the DAC-connected computer. And for music storage, a USB drive directly connected to the USB DAC-connected computer is easily the worst in the ranking of possibilities. And Ethernet happens to be about the best.

Perhaps you will enjoy these three report threads I started long ago (the first and third ones are most relevant to you, but the second one was part of the journey way back then):

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/my-deep-dive-media-storage-interfaces-musical-differences-heard-between-chipsets-firewire-400-800-universal-serial-bus-industry-standard-cables-connectors-and-communications-protocols-between-computers-and-electronic-devices-sata-flash-drives-sd-cards-and-network-shares-warning-may-cause-seizures-dbt-crowd-and-flat-earth-naysayers-18108/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/attention-current-mac-mini-users-boot-mavericks-sd-card-load-ramdisk-dismount-your-internal-sata-drives-and-pour-drink-musicians-walking-out-your-speakers-18159/

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f27-uptone-audio-sponsored/uh-oh-i-beat-my-sd-card-trick%3B-bypass-your-ethernet-switch-and-make-your-external-drives-sound-close-ram-disk-using-apple-thunderbolt-ethernet-adaptor-and-second-network-connection-18475/