IGNORED

Flac encoder for Windows 10 64 bit

PopPop

I recently bought a PC with Windows 10 64 bit. I use FOOBAR2000 to manage my downloads, conversions and tag editing. This morning I tried to rip a CD to FLAC using FOOBAR2000 (as I always have in the past, on my Windows 8 machine) the process failed. The flac encoder from SoundForge fails to download, the program folder does not contain the .exe file for Flac Frontend or Flac. Any insight on this from other users.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

I don't understand that Soundforge failed to download the FLAC encoder, Soundforge includes the FLAC encoder built in to the program, like all the other encoders it supports.

You can rip a CD with Soundforge to FLAC and it does a great job, and includes the metadata. Try this?

If another FLAC encoder exists, from memory Soundforge ignores this. FLAC encoder can be installed on its own in usually an obscure location, maybe that's happened and Foobar can't find it.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

When it downloads the encoder, Windows doesn't recognize the .exe file.

I didn't try to down load a Sound Forge app, I merely tried to download the flac encoder.

WMP encodes in flac but I'm not happy with how it manages the tags.

That I ask questions? I am more concerned about being stupid than looking like I might be.

Right, SourceForge, sorry for the glitch.

I found a download for the flac encoder on the SourceForge web page. I downloaded flac 1.3.1.exe

Windows Media Player does strange things with the files. For instance I have a disc with 17 tracs, when WMP rips the disc it puts the first 12 tracs in the directory that I designated and the remaining 5 tracks in the parent directory.

Right, SourceForge, sorry for the glitch.

I found a download for the flac encoder on the SourceForge web page. I downloaded flac 1.3.1.exe

Windows Media Player does strange things with the files. For instance I have a disc with 17 tracs, when WMP rips the disc it puts the first 12 tracs in the directory that I designated and the remaining 5 tracks in the parent directory.

Suggest to use dbpoweramp to rip discs, it's the best there is and does a sterling job of adding metadata, it can name the files anyway you want and which directory. Placing files at a whim is sloppy programming, which doesn't need any of your attention any more. MS should know better, but don't.

OK, I will take a look at dbpoweramp. Like everyone else, I am a slave to routine. I had been using FOOBAR2000 for 10 years to rip my CDs and I've grown used to the workflow. I bought a new PC a few weeks ago and had to reload all my old programs and some of them don't behave like they used to and some of them have been changed and now stink. Like the newer version of MP3Tag, the latest version is either too difficult for me to grasp (I think not) or the programmer has made is nearly useless. Anyway, thanks for the help. There must be an answer for my issue with FOOBAR and the flac.exe but for now I'll try to find a work around I can live with.

Well that was pretty easy. I downloaded CD Ripper Reference and it was able put all the files in one folder. LOL, what the heck is wrong with Windows Media Player. Thanks for your help 1.5

If anyone else has an answer about the failure of windows 10 to download flac.exe I would appreciate it but I'm less concerned about that now that I have a good alternative.

CA is a great resource, Thanks Chris!

If Windows 10 was an upgrade over an existing Windows install, it can run as smooth as glass or such a horse's ass. It's worth to start afresh with a clean disk.

MP3Tag works fine for me, there was one version a few weeks back that was so slow to save, deleted that and downloaded a fresh version and been fine ever since on three machines.

I can't get MP3 tag (Now relabeled as Stamp) to load images. Maybe I have to get the "pay" version.

As far as Windows 10 goes, I bought the PC new with W10 installed.

Well that was pretty easy. I downloaded CD Ripper Reference and it was able put all the files in one folder. LOL, what the heck is wrong with Windows Media Player. Thanks for your help 1.5

If anyone else has an answer about the failure of windows 10 to download flac.exe I would appreciate it but I'm less concerned about that now that I have a good alternative.

CA is a great resource, Thanks Chris!

Unless something has changed, I don't believe Microsoft supports flac. It would probably be best to try different software. If you want to try something free and easy, download Clementine Music Player. It rips, transcodes and supports flac. Its also very reliable and has a good tagger. It will only take a couple of minutes to get it up and running.

Unless something has changed, I don't believe Microsoft supports flac. It would probably be best to try different software. If you want to try something free and easy, download Clementine Music Player. It rips, transcodes and supports flac. Its also very reliable and has a good tagger. It will only take a couple of minutes to get it up and running.

Believe it or not time... Windows Media Player bundled with Windows 10 does support FLAC.

This page is MP3tag.

This page is Stamp.

I could spot the difference right away :) Please ask for a tissue, not a Kleenex?

LOL! I looked for and couldn't find that web page. Very odd. Your suggestion to use dbpoweramp gave me the solution I needed. It accomplishes everything I was doing with FOOBAR and MP3Tag combined.

I did rip some CDs with WMP but didn't

like the lack of options for tagging.

This page is MP3tag.

This page is Stamp.

I could spot the difference right away :) Please ask for a tissue, not a Kleenex?

The first link: When I open in on my iPhone I am sent to a download site for MP3tag. When I open the same link on my PC I get sent to a site for a download of MP3tag that is bundled with another software; this

MP3tag.PNG

Then this:

stamp.PNG

Maybe it has something to do with my browser. anyway, I get no joy following that trail but got to my destination by other means. So, it's all good.

It often happens the the Download NOW button is a disguised advertisement for something else, in this case, NCH software for a similar sounding product.

I haven't tried the NCH Stamp software, so can't vouch how good it is.

The real MP3tag is on the download page of the MP3Tag site. Here's the link for the free (can donate too) for MP3Tag for Windows.

When I click the link you gave me (using my PC, it takes me to the NCH page. Very strange

If I follow the link with my iPhone it opens the MP3tag site. I just don't know what to make of that.

It was driving me nuts. I just opened the link again and found two small adware apps running on the screen. I ran a quick scan with malwarebytes, deleted them, and finally got to the MP3tag download page. Actually it's not like the program will cure world hunger or anything, dbpoweramp is every bit as usefull but I've dealt with Julian H for a lot of years and I kind of like the way he does business. Time for another donation perhaps. Thanks for your help one and a half.