IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

Welcome to CA Melvin! I have a Bluesound Node 2 in each of my two systems. They work exceptionally well and with a TIDAL HiFi account they become truly addictive. While their internal DAC is good on its own, I feed external DACs through the Node's digital outputs for even better sound. Enjoy your new toy!

If you run into problems with any particular setup issues, their support is excellent. I had some difficulty accessing my music files on my PC which turned out to be due to my Bitdefender firewall. I opened a support request and they promptly emailed me back to arrange a phone call, and were then able to resolve the issue in a few minutes.

Regarding the variety of Bluesound products, each is designed to meet different application needs. The Node connects to an existing audio system either by digital or analog outputs; the PowerNode adds an amplifier so it can directly drive speakers; the Vault adds a CD drive and hard drive storage to allow direct CD ripping; and the Pulse products incorporate built in speakers.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 months later...
Woohoo! When the M32 comes on the market I may consider getting rid of my media computer, NAD M51 dac, and monoblock amps and replacing with the M32 with BluOS module. Talk about condensing things!

Saw the new NAD M32 with BluOS module at a local dealer today, just breaking in but sounding pretty good right out of the box!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
The software is in principle capable of decoding further. I was curious as to whether it actually does.

As I understand it when using the analog outputs of the Node 2 you would get full resolution up to 192kHz from the internal DAC with MQA files, but the digital output with MQA is limited to 96kHz from what I've read. Might be more detail (which could prove me wrong!) on the Bluesound forums.

The firmware image contains ALSA configuration files for using the MQA renderer with the digital output. That doesn't mean the higher level software actually uses it though.

Looks like you're way ahead of me on this issue, but I'd respectfully suggest that your best chance to get a definitive answer would be on the Bluesound product forum.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
I was traveling when I read this thread and decided to buy the Bluesound. Now home and ready to go, some questions. I was going to go for the Vault to make cd ripping easy. I do have several good cd players, Line Magnetic 215, Audiolab 8200CDQ, and Rega Apollo, and may upgrade my old Oppo to a 103 or 105. I wonder if one of these could be easily connected to rip to the Node 2 instead of getting the Vault 2?

You cannot connect a CD player directly to a Node, and besides the Vault includes a NAS drive for storage which the Node doesn't have. If you get a Node you would rip CDs on a networked PC and access the ripped files over the network. The Vault is another product entirely, which provides direct ripping and storage capability.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, BilboAlaska said:

Thanks. That would be simpller to add wireless streaming to another room than other methods. I considered DAC/Airport Express but the cost would be equal to getting a $400 DAC including interconnect cable as the Airport is $100. Plus the Node would be 1 box no interconnect.

The Node has some other advantages as well, in that it supports hi-res PCM playback up to 24/192 as well as MQA decoding which is a benefit if you plan on streaming with Tidal. I don't care to get into a debate here about the validity of MQA but just wanted to mention that the functionality is provided by Bluesound devices.

• 3 weeks later...
14 minutes ago, GUTB said:

I tried out the Node 2 with Tidal and with streaming from why audio PC. It simply didn't compete with my reference chain. With SDM upsampling I don't know if MQA is ever going to be competitive. It might still be good with ladder DACs, but the price of entry for MQA ladder DACs isn't exactly affordable.

Not certain what your 'reference chain' consists of, but you should set your expectations realistically. The Node 2 is a $500 streamer which supports Tidal and has full MQA decoding via its internal DAC. It isn't made to compete with top reference level gear nor should it be expected to. It performs quite well and offers a good value at its price IMHO.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 7 months later...

I have read user reviews stating that the Linksys AC1200 MAX can be used as an access point, allowing you to connect devices to its Ethernet ports once it's connected to your WiFi network. Also from the product details:

Four Gigabit Ethernet Ports for Wired Connections

In addition to wireless connectivity, the RE6500 features four Gigabit Ethernet ports that are 10 times faster than traditional Fast Ethernet ports, allowing you to establish fast, secure wired connections to desktop or laptop computers or virtually any other Internet-enabled device. Placing the range extender on a desk near the device makes wired connections easy.

With such technology there is never any assurance that it will work in your specific situation, so I'd only suggest purchasing it from a source that will allow you to return it for a full refund if it doesn't meet your needs.