IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

I have always viewed Bluesound as "Peachtree" level products. They fit very well with mid to high end systems. Sonos more consumer oriented. Next month I think I will purchase a NODE 2.

Just curious, what is general BLUESOUND upgrade cycle? In other words, when should one expect a Node 3?

I would pay a couple hundred more for one if it had an upgraded Dac. Currently, there's no mid level priced, non USB, mqa capable Dac. An "audiophile" version of the node would probably do quite well. However, the current Node Dac may be just as good as any mid Dac out there. When I get one, I have the ability to run both digital and analog outs at same time. It will be interesting to compare to my Peachtree Nova Pre Dac.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Dac in my peachtree Nova Pre is going on (ESS 9006 Sabre chip) is going on 7-8 years old now. The DAC chip may have been around much longer than that. It would not surprise me that the newer dac in the Bluesound outperforms my Peachtree. Both are considered "consumer grade" components, so probably not much difference until one goes further up the DAC quality food chain.

• 4 months later...

I am currently using airplay thru ATV to stream on my main system I subscribe to Roon, Tidal and Qobuz sublime prime +.  I have the Nova Pre as my pre/ dac. Everythng sounds and runs perfect, except I can't stream above 16/48 (ATV). I'm ordering a Node 2 to be able to stream higher than redbook. I will hook both analog and digital outs to my Nova. I'll be curious to compare the two Dacs. The Nova pre peaks at 24/96 ( which covers 90% of Qobuz sublime + streaming). 

TEAC seems to be on board with MQA and Hoping they will release a new version of their 5xx series Dacs. 

I would probably guess the BS dac is probably along the lines of mid-fi Dacs like my peachtree. My Zu Omen Defs are quite revealing, so if there is a difference I should hear it right away. I'm hoping the BS dac is just as good or better sounding to what I already have. That way I can utilize its digital input for my ATV. Unfortunately, the Nova Pre only has one set of analog inputs. I will need to get a high quality a/b switch so I can stilll play my SACDs on my oppo player

On 6/19/2017 at 6:59 AM, Melvin said:

This should prove interesting @arcman. BTW, because the Node 2 is also a preamp/DAC I would think a more accurate test would be to use it as such, taking the Nova out of the analog-out path altogether. Please let us know how you make out. 

I have my new Node 2 all hooked up and loving it. I have analog inputs and Coax inputs going into the nova pre. The BS software is set up for fixed output, no tone controls (which is nice if needed). Switching back and forth with same content does show some differences. Both the Peachtree dac and the internal BS dac sounds great. However, switching to the analog (BS Dac), voices seem to float a bit more in the soundstage and just a tad more "depth" floabt. The Nova Pre sounded fine, but compared to the BS, it seemed a little less spacious. Volume between the two inputs seem pretty identical. 

I tried this on several types of music and redbook and hi rez (24/96). 

One think I think is fantastic sounding are Qobuz 24/192 streams. The new Diana Krall sounds like she is sitting at the piano in front of you.

The Peachree Dac is about 7 years old...so not surprised the newer dac sounds a little better. 

I hope this helps

It's a real dac. I'm just explaining what I hear when critically listening. No earth shattering differences between the two. Just the Node has a little more space and depth than the Nova. If I walked into a room, I could not tell you which was playing. My Zu Omen Defs are quite revealing. On other systems the sound difference may be even less. I would guess that most consumer grade systems have a similar sounding dac.  I did read on Audiogon that the mytek Brooklyn was a pretty significant difference compared to the Node. 

I did a listen again between the two. Same thing. I favor the BS. A couple years back I compared my oppo 103 to the peachtree streaming 24/96 off a hard drive. I coul not tell any difference at all between both analog and digital. Again, this was with the entry level oppo. Playing sacds there was a significant difference since content is converted to lower resolution for digital output. Still sounded good, but not as good. 

Next at I will compare a Tidal full unfold thru the BS vs partial thru digital out into the Peachtree. 

To be honest, I am more and more impressed with the Node 2. MQA album versions (tidal) sound more full and spacious. Nothing to knock one's socks off (possibly if comparing to lower than redbook streams). To be honest, Qobuzs hi rez streams sound a tad better. The difference is present..but not earth shattering. Again, this is with the NODE 2 acting as a dac (which like I said sounds a little better than the older Nova Pre Dac). 

I'll be curious to see some Mytek vs Node2 internal DAC comparisons. I've read one where there was a clear difference (which it should be for $1500 more). 

I spend a lot of money on streaming (Roon, Apple Music, Tidal and Qobuz). Plus, I'm looking forward to the HD Tracks service. Spotify suppose to go HI rez as well. However, I listen to a lot of music and really not interested in adding to my 50,000 + tracks that I already own (cd rips mostly and HD tracks downloads). I guess my streaming subscription habits compare to movie buffs subscribing to multiple streaming sites (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon, etc)

• 4 weeks later...

The Node 2 Dac sounds slightly better than my Peachtree Nova Pre. I would say you would have to get out of the "general consumer" dacs to improve upon it. I'm hearing TEAC and MQA is partnering. A Teac MQA version of the 501 would be the perfect dac and price range.