IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

Same here. I've been debating this purchase for the last little while here as well, and I'd love to hear some more personal experiences with it...thanks!

I am actually listening to it now...

I use my Vault as a NAS (MacBook Pro -> CA DacMagic +/Acam rHead -> AT woodies) or as front end (Vault/Primare DAC30 -> Stax 006tS/SR 507).

The Vault is pretty good as it is, but it benefits from a good outboard DAC (and good interlinks).

I have ripped my cd collection to the Vault. It works fine. The user interface is good, but not great (I listen to classical, jazz and whatever I like, now listening to Townes van Zandt). It is certainly no Audirvana. It's weakness is classical music, and, a little less weaker, jazz (you can not select one concerto in one go, you have to select the different pieces of the concerto separately).

The headphone amp is decent (again: it is good, but no match for a quality outboard amp).

But I can live with it. In the end, it is a versatile, user friendly piece of kit, with a good sq of its own (and easily upgradable). I think the price/quality ratio is hard to beat. I like it quite a lot.

Another bonus: the BS Helpdesk is very good (after all, it is software and a kind of computer...).

Greets, WAM

Hello,

I did not say the DAC built in the Vault sounds bad, I just wanted to explain that the Vault sounds much better with the DAC30 (considering he price of a DAC30, is is not a fair comparison with the dac of the Vault).

I have never heard the Schiit-stuff (seems to be pretty good...). Perhaps you should try a demo of a Vault, and let your ears decide. I think you will be pleasantly suprised.

Greets, WAM

• 1 month later...

Nice!

Also looking forward to your impressions. 

Do not forget to make backups!  

It is not a bad idea to use proper tagging software (I use Tag Editor). If you have a decent library, you will need to maintain your metadata. It makes the use of the Vault a lot more enjoyable.

Kind Regards, WAM

I think you will need an 2TB external (USB)drive for your backup. 

In my system the Vault doubles as a NAS, works great (MacBook Pro -> Audirvana ->DacMagic Plus -> rHead -> ATH w1000z).

You should do a search on bluesound.com for the possibilities.

Kind Regards, WAM

Regarding the Vault: I am not shore you can use a NAS for backup. And why would you? You can use the Vault as a NAS (it was the main reason I bought it).

If you want to backup the Vault, you need an external USB-drive. 

You can use the Vault with headphones, it has a pretty decent headphone amp. I do not use it as such (for the simple reason I use a Stax headphone in our main system).

The rHead is a headphone amp (Arcam, a pretty good one imho, great sound, superb built quality, a joy to use), ath: Audio Technica headphone (a "woody", as the afficionado's say..).

I am not familiar with a Sonneteer amp, so I can not commend on that. I am afraid it is a bit try and error, but that is part of the fun 9_9.

The only thing I can say is, that using a good external DAC can bring huge improvements.

> Do not forget to enjoy the music, that what it is all about.

Kind Regards, WAM