IGNORED

Bluesound Node 2

1 minute ago, Melvin said:

The Node 2 is a great little box, no? For the money it's hard to beat. Bluesound continues to impress me as they tweak and refine their products (i.e., lastest updates). They truly listen to their customers. 

I know you would have to spend a LOT more customizing an HTPC to approach the SQ and it still wouldn't do MQA properly. I am upgrading the power cord:

http://www.audioadvisor.com/prodinfo.asp?number=PGAC14S27

and will get some vibration control under it too.

1 hour ago, GUTB said:

I found that it couldn't compete with a real DAC. Might be a good value for someone with little money, doesn't have a lot of real estate and/or doesn't place a high value on SQ.

With Redbook/FLAC my Parsound ZDac sounds better. But with MQA the node is the best I have experienced digital in my system. If I wasn't happy I could buy the Mytek Brooklyn DAC but at $2K that costs $1500 more ( four times the price of the Node). I will give props to the Node as a redbook streamer, it kicked my PC to the curb.
I haven't compared but I don't feel a need to upgrade. Has anyone compared the Node and the Brooklyn?
http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles/parasound-zdac/

Hans compares and rates audio gear on his YouTube channel. He says the Node 2 gets you 80% of his favorite DAC the $2500 Chord Hugo. That is with non MQA tracks. I'll bet with MQA tracks it brings you even closer, in fact with MQA it might even be better. The HUGO is only a DAC. That means you need to spend more money buying a source and some type of software to organize and play your files. The Node 2 doesn't need a source or software, which means even more money in your pocket. 

1 minute ago, DarwinOSX said:

The Parasound looks great but I won't buy anything going forward that doesn't do MQA.

Now that all three major studios have signed on I'm looking forward to more MQA :-)

I agree, future purchases would need to incorporate MQA. I am hoping Marantz releases an MQA firmware update like Bluesound did for its products. I want an MQA home theater processor.

10 hours ago, GUTB said:

Here is the Node 2. We can clearly see it's not a real DAC:

IMG_0027.thumb.JPG.6e87c0ba25ed6431ca3167a88ff7e19c.JPG

The conclusion of the article you took this pic from

n conclusion, the Bluesound 2 Node network drive is an excellent network drive with a clever, modern design. It is very easy to integrate into your hifi system and offers first-class sound performance via its analogue and headphone outputs. Qobuzism!

• 1 month later...

I like the GUI of the Node software and more MQA albums are being released on Tidal. I listen to MQA tracks through the node and CD tracks I stream from the Node to my Parasound ZDac. Even used as a streamer it sounds much better than my PC. I have 0 desire to upgrade to another streamer. We should see more hirez streaming services between now and CES, all good.