IGNORED

Which computer for music server

I am a new member here and have two very different computers I own for which I could use as my music server. I've always used a 2007 MBP and replaced its internal drive with SSD and use Audirvana. I also have a new PC tower with windows 7 and would use Foobar with WASAPI and Fidelix, maybe JRMC in the future. For either machine, I have an external 1 TB ,HDD for storage.

Are there any solid reasons why I should consider using the newer PC or should I stick with the older MBP ? I ask because I'm fairly new to dealing with windows regarding squeezing out the best for music. Reformatting my external drive will also be a pain.

My audio gear: Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Ragnarok -> HD600/KEF LS50

You should be fine with your MBP if you stay with music up to 24/192 format. The only reason you would probably consider upgrading would be to use the new DSD formats or the high processor hungry software for up-sampling. If you don't care for it you will be just fine right where you are.

Custom Win10 Server | Mutec MC-3+ USB | Lampizator Amber | Job INT | ATC SCM20PSL + JL Audio E-Sub e110

I am a new member here and have two very different computers I own for which I could use as my music server. I've always used a 2007 MBP and replaced its internal drive with SSD and use Audirvana. I also have a new PC tower with windows 7 and would use Foobar with WASAPI and Fidelix, maybe JRMC in the future. For either machine, I have an external 1 TB ,HDD for storage.

Are there any solid reasons why I should consider using the newer PC or should I stick with the older MBP ? I ask because I'm fairly new to dealing with windows regarding squeezing out the best for music. Reformatting my external drive will also be a pain.

My audio gear: Schiit Bifrost Multibit/Ragnarok -> HD600/KEF LS50

Newer PCs will simply add the same amount of jitter and noise as your current computers, only faster :-) I'd spend my money on tweaking the current PCs and how they link to your DAC. Things like a Regen or Jitterbug come to mind. Or some of the solutions by SOtM or PPA. Or get a small developer board like a Pi or Odroid and use that as an NAA fed with a signal from your PC to insulate your DAC.

Synology DS214+ with MinimServer --> Ethernet --> Sonore mRendu / SOtM SMS-200 --> Chord Hugo --> Chord interconnects --> Naim NAP 200--> Chord speaker cable --> Focal Aria 948

You should be fine with your MBP if you stay with music up to 24/192 format. The only reason you would probably consider upgrading would be to use the new DSD formats or the high processor hungry software for up-sampling. If you don't care for it you will be just fine right where you are.

Nikhil's advice is very good, as usual. With your current software and DAC, you should be fine with the MBP.

If at some point you want to move to HQPlayer or something similar that requires that requires more CPU oomph, you'll need to think about new hardware.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5