Hi all,

Still new to digital music.

I have a Mac Mini 2014 with Audirvana.

Most of the music I listen are through Audirvana and Spotify and would like to try Tidal as well.

I have just invested in Yamaha as 2100 Amplifier, which is completely analogue. (Very happy with it)

My speakers are Proac 118.

I would like to invest in a DAC less than 1000 USD.

I do not have any DSD files and my main purpose is to listen my downloaded music through audirvana, Spotify and Netflix, etc.

Within this setup and price range, can you recommend me a few brands that I should audition?

Thanks

Ceyhun

Hi all,

I would like to invest in a DAC less than 1000 USD.

I do not have any DSD files and my main purpose is to listen my downloaded music through audirvana, Spotify and Netflix, etc.

Within this setup and price range, can you recommend me a few brands that I should audition?

Here are a few that come to mind:

Schiit Audio, Headphone amps and DACs made in USA. (PCM only)

micro – iDSD (PCM + DSD)

Stereo192-DSD DAC Black Preamp (PCM + DSD)

The Mytek Stereo192-DSD strains your budget a bit, but I can vouch for it personally. It's an older design, but I would say build quality and features are a step up from the other two, and it's selling at a low price because Mytek wants to get rid of existing stock. (It's been replaced by the new Brooklyn model).

The are many other good choices available. Personally, I would go for a DAC that does both PCM and DSD. This keeps more options open in terms of what you can do via software and what kinds of files you can play. If your platform is OS X or Linux, I would also look for something that does not require proprietary drivers (which lets out the Stereo192-DSD).

Good luck with your search. As with any component, it's best if if you can try a candidate out in your own system.

--David

Listening Room: Mac mini (Roon Core) > iMac (HQP) > exaSound PlayPoint (as NAA) > exaSound e32 > W4S STP-SE > Benchmark AHB2 > Wilson Sophia Series 2 (Details)

Office: Mac Pro >  AudioQuest DragonFly Red > JBL LSR305

Mobile: iPhone 6S > AudioQuest DragonFly Black > JH Audio JH5

Please let us know how the Gungnir works out.

Sure. I will spend my weekend with Rotel 1550 which I borrowed from a friend.

My Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20's internal DAC

and Gungnir Loan unit.

I will be able to connect Rotel and Gungnir to my new Yamaha AS2100 and I have two sets of speakers PRoac118 and Tannoy DC6 and, see, if I can have an enjoyable difference.

I will be listening mostly, Tidal, Spotify and Netflix through my Mac Mini and occasional PS4 games.

I am not very technical or have a very sensitive ear, also my living room has an odd L shape. Nothing is ideal for music, cons of living in Singapore. But I will write my experience.

I've checked for Gustard but couldn't find a place that I can demo it.

Marantz looks interesting and I will try to audition it as well.

Thanks

Ceyhun

Sure. I will spend my weekend with Rotel 1550 which I borrowed from a friend.

My Cambridge Audio Topaz SR20's internal DAC

and Gungnir Loan unit.

I will be able to connect Rotel and Gungnir to my new Yamaha AS2100 and I have two sets of speakers PRoac118 and Tannoy DC6 and, see, if I can have an enjoyable difference.

I will be listening mostly, Tidal, Spotify and Netflix through my Mac Mini and occasional PS4 games.

I am not very technical or have a very sensitive ear, also my living room has an odd L shape. Nothing is ideal for music, cons of living in Singapore. But I will write my experience.

I've checked for Gustard but couldn't find a place that I can demo it.

Marantz looks interesting and I will try to audition it as well.

Thanks

Ceyhun

Ceyhun,

Yes, unfortunately the Gustard is only sold direct so there's a gamble, but I took the risk based on positive reviews here and other places and was definitely not disappointed. Quite the contrary, I am delighted with the DAC. While I cannot compare to the Schiit or Vega, I can compare to a well-reviewed new DAC that is 50% more expensive and the X20U is much better. I also compared it to my previous DAC--the Oppo 105--and the X20 is significantly better (and the Oppo made really good music).

Good luck with your search and let us know your conclusions.