IGNORED

T+a dac 8 dsd

thanks Miska and Dirk ,     my config is a decated PC  ( LPS supply) running windows 10  roon/HQP DSD512 /  INTONA  LPS supply  T+A DSD8  

there is so much variable to test , but what i find strange is that the crash only happen with the dac playing PCM TO DSD or DSD never with the PCM DAc.

i will check usb cables /  INTONA  test first..

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

57 minutes ago, sbenyo said:

I also hear white noise in some tracks in DSD only. I use DSD512 with ploy-sinc-xtr filter. I also have ISO REGEN and PPA2 usb card. It starts randomly in the middle of the track. It's not loud but very noticeable.

It does not happen in PCM.

I found that if I run Fidelizer first and then HQPlayer, the sound is usually clean but I did not test it enough to be sure this completely resolves the problem.

i think for me it's a different thing it is not a low white noise but a real fireworks  like my speaker was in fire ?

PC audio /Roon + HQPLAYER / HOLO Spring 2 / / DIY AD1 SET tube amp  /  DIY Altec 2 way horn Speaker

Does it happen all the time or just with specific tracks randomly?

randomly,  can happen 3 times in a day during one minute  than  it stop alone.   some days i don't have problem .

thanks i get 1ms latency with my config ,  i will let the latency checker running to see if there is a change my noise problem appears again. 

miska what HQP buffer time will be the most stable  with the dac8 in DSD512  ?

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, emcdade said:

Anyone got DSD512 going on a Linux streamer yet?

I’m dying to try this out on my SMS-200, hear no difference to my Windows streamer, and put my SMS-200 on eBay lol!

the Dac8 DSD don't worked in DSD512 with linux in2016/2017 / 2018 and won't work in 2019  too..

end of the story...

• 3 months later...
On 4/8/2019 at 9:26 AM, Miska said:

And Logic Supply's CL100 is what I used for Windows based NAA for DAC8 DSD. I maxed out the RAM and have also 256 GB SSD in it, but no wireless modules. So not very cheap, but quite solid build. I replaced the standard PSU which had annoying coil whine with one made by Mascot.

What is the advantage for the dac8 in term of input signal quality with HQplayer between a Main pc with a USB isolator and a Main Pc with a NAA mini pc ?

2 hours ago, Em2016 said:

Have you ever had any issues with using external USB isolator, which means double USB isolation (since DAC8 DSD has USB isolation already?)?

I know but subjectively i prefer the dac8 dsd with an intona than without .

• 1 month later...

Just for your info. Maybe expecting comments from OE333.

and if you could remind us he proceed to update to V2.70 it will be great too 😉

• 8 months later...

the middle age crisis certainly here , i wonder what dac to try after the T+A  , not that i taught that it doesn't sound marvellous in DSD512 with HQP but sometimes i remember old machine like some Theta , Wadia 2000,  Cello reference dac , EAD DSP9000 etc.. and if they were surely more technically limiited  ( 16/18 bits at 44/48K for the most)   i liked the sound of them , you can say more meet on the bones type or it was just good sounding distorsions i don't know...

so i wonder what kind of dac could fit in this categorie  nowadays ?

Those older DACs offered less resolution and some tended to favour, to at least some extent, warmth over accuracy. But, they were "musical". I don't know if you would still prefer the sound of those DACs today if you could hear and compare it to the sound of music produced by the T+A DAC 8 DSD and HQP at DSD512. I don't believe that audio memory is retained over lengthy periods of time.

sure life was better yesterday ,  just because i was younger but i have compared my T+A DSD8 in DSD512 with old machine in my loca lshop ( Wadia 2000, Sonic frontiers SFD1 , ML 360S, )   the Mark levinson was the worst even in 24/96K , but hte Wadia 2000 was very sweet sounding with tons of details  with a simple Mutec USB /spdif converter.    the T+A in PCM was So So in compare.

sure in DSD512 with HQP and Polysinc long LP , DSD5 V2  the T+A was in another league everywhere but has a " too clean taste" that seems to me unreal.    ( perhaps i just need a noisy tube preamp after the T+A to get what i want 😉)

you are certainly right ,  i really like the T+A  and HQplayer   i use now  polysync long LP  DSD5EC DSD256  , i have a InTona usb isolator too.    and the DAc driectly attack a 2A3 amplifier or a Pass Aleph3   ( during the 2A3 mods 😊) my speaker are DIY with 12" Field Coil speaker , no filter.. so i can hear every litttle change in HQP , computer, or electronic side..   as i said perhaps i need a preamp with the more r"analog" and relaxed sound  i can get with some old Dacs  ( call it distorsions if you like ) . 

i will try a Transformer based Passive preamp soon to use the Fixed output of the T+A  and will report if there is a change in my  " too clean" feeling ....

• 6 months later...

just for to be sure  ,  if an amanero driver is installed with the service mode and the maintenance tool , there is no possibility for a come back to the T+A driver ?

• 2 months later...
7 hours ago, fds said:

Did anyone here compare the T+A to the Holo Audio Spring (2) both for DSD512? I have searched quite a bit but was not able to find any reports on this.

i'm interested too , i have sold by mistake my T+A Dac thinking that my digital crossover will do the task ..

so now i'm on the run again for a new dac so is there challengers for the T+A Dac 8DSD ins the same ballpark ?

HOLO spring 2 , denafrips Venus ?