IGNORED

Little help on matching DAC -> Pre -> Amp

Hey guys,

I've been reading about voltage and impedance matching but can't seem to find a simple rule of thumb. My current setup is a Calyx DAC into a Passive Pre into a Byston 3BSST amp. The Calyx has an out of 2.2Vrms and the Bryston has two input options. The manual says generally to use the 1.3Vrms (29db) setting which is what I am currently running (using RCA interconnects). However I never really go past 1/2 volume on my pre with this configuration (which is very loud depending on the recording). If I switch the amp to its 2.6Vrms(23db) setting I can comfortably play most music with the volume about 1/2 way up. So should I be using the 2.6V setting? Is there a general rule of thumb for matching these things up?

Thanks

Hey guys,

I've been reading about voltage and impedance matching but can't seem to find a simple rule of thumb. My current setup is a Calyx DAC into a Passive Pre into a Byston 3BSST amp. The Calyx has an out of 2.2Vrms and the Bryston has two input options. The manual says generally to use the 1.3Vrms (29db) setting which is what I am currently running (using RCA interconnects). However I never really go past 1/2 volume on my pre with this configuration (which is very loud depending on the recording). If I switch the amp to its 2.6Vrms(23db) setting I can comfortably play most music with the volume about 1/2 way up. So should I be using the 2.6V setting? Is there a general rule of thumb for matching these things up?

Thanks

Surely, the answer is to use whichever sounds best or is most convenient for you.

Generally you would go with the setting that lets you turn the volume knob up the most. If your passive pre uses a volume pot the thinking is volume pots have best channel to channel tracking in the upper half of the range. So if that gives you all the loudness you need upon playback use the 23 db gain setting.

And always keep in mind: Cognitive biases, like seeing optical illusions are a sign of a normally functioning brain. We all have them, it’s nothing to be ashamed about, but it is something that affects our objective evaluation of reality.