IGNORED

how to rip my CD-s from an external player's digital out?

hildgyorgy

I don't have any pc/mac at home with an optical drive.

But I have

- an excellent AVM CS 2.2 with quality coax and optical digital out connections

- an M-audio Transit usb sound card with optical input port.

- Macbook Pro 2015

Please help me, how to rip CD-s using the parts above! Is it so easy as to get an appropriate software and it does everything, or I have to start playing the cd-s and start recording with a complicated software?

I have most of my cd collection ripped, but I need a solution for the new pieces I cannot get in digital download purchase...

Thank you,

Gyorgy

Hi Gyorgy,

Does your AVM CS 2.2 mounted as CD-drive in Mac OS X?

Otherwise, looks like no standard decission. In this case you may use any USB CD drive and usual ripping software.

If you important detecting errors (for avoiding surprizes :) ), recommended use ripper with such ability.

Or use builtin iTunes.

Best regards,

Yuri

AuI ConverteR 48x44 - HD audio converter/optimizer for DAC of high resolution files

ISO, DSF, DFF (1-bit/D64/128/256/512/1024), wav, flac, aiff, alac,  safe CD ripper to PCM/DSF,

Seamless Album Conversion, AIFF, WAV, FLAC, DSF metadata editor, Mac & Windows
Offline conversion save energy and nature

The fastest and easiest thing to do would be to get an external CD/DVD drive. I haven't checked prices in a while, but you should be able to get one for under $50. For software you can use EAC for Windows. Its free, but to set it up properly you'll need to use one of the setup guides that can be found on the internet. For MAC, use XLD to rip. The results will be better than your CD player & sound card.

Thank you both for the help, I'm going to get an external drive.

I think that's a smart move. The only thing I would add, is to get a standard size drive. Those little usb powered ones are very slow and break easily. Ripping CD's is hard on the drive.

Please help me, how to rip CD-s using the parts above! Is it so easy as to get an appropriate software and it does everything, or I have to start playing the cd-s and start recording with a complicated software?

You will not get around playing the CDs in your setting, as it is not (without severe firmware hacks) possible to control the CD playing abilitiy of the AVM CS 2.2 from the computer (this is not the AVM's fault - I have never heard of such a functionality).

On the computer side, you could use Audacity, but this would just record. You still need to trim, tag with meta data etc.

Buying an external CD drive (not the smallest and cheapest one) is clearly the solution here.

Using the S/PDIF out, or TOS to record from has compromises, in that of the data is not reclocked somehow, the recorded file could not reach the transparency of a rip.

It also means for an album there's heavy cutting and pasting one big file to smaller files and on top of that, editing metadata.

A portable drive as others have suggested is the better (and easier) route. FWIW, I use a Samsung BD to rip for portable use, or Pioneer BD in the tower PC. Totally recommend dbpoweramp for ripping.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA

Using the S/PDIF out, or TOS to record from has compromises, in that of the data is not reclocked somehow, the recorded file could not reach the transparency of a rip.

It also means for an album there's heavy cutting and pasting one big file to smaller files and on top of that, editing metadata.

A portable drive as others have suggested is the better (and easier) route. FWIW, I use a Samsung BD to rip for portable use, or Pioneer BD in the tower PC. Totally recommend dbpoweramp for ripping.

Thank you for the post, now I clearly see the disadvantages of the recording solution... Thanks for the advice on the ripper device!

Gy