IGNORED

Switch/Router/PC/NAS Placement Question

Hi,

Maybe a non-issue question but is there a preferred way to connect up a network switch, PC, NAS, and wireless router?

For example, having the NAS and PC connect to the switch and then daisy-chain the switch to the router for Internet. Hypothesis is that whatever WiFi noise will be localized to the router and the PC and NAS can stream music more "directly".

Or does it matter at all and plugging any of those components to any ports will suffice?

Thanks in advance.

-H

General networking advice is to have least active devices between one device and another ... that means where possible using a star topology rather than daisy chaining.

In your system my would be to connect PC and NAS to the switch using suitable lengths of cabling, then connect the switch to the router.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thx for the suggestions. I'll just connect up the NAS and PC to the switch and switch to the router (per Eloise suggestion).

I am interested in the optical transceiver configuration but given my devices are a meter apart, maybe later on when I want to run it farther away. I also want to avoid more wall warts. So far I got the HD Plex powering the NAS, switch, router, and Uptone Regen.

Cheers.

-H