IGNORED

CD disc storage-What kind?

I'm currently ripping about 2,400 cd's to hard drives. I've been removing these discs from 400 disc players which were controlled by an Escient system. For a host of reasons (time, difficultly of retrieval, space, etc.), I'm not anxious to return all of these discs to their boxes. I suspect most of the people on this forum have returned their discs to their respective jewel boxes. But for those who haven't (any of you out there?), how have you stored your discs and specifically, what items (name, model #, etc.) have you used for storage? My main concern is that over the course of time, I know I'm going to want to re-rip discs or songs which I had either missed, didn't rip correctly, or something else I can't anticipate. Having said that, if any of you think I'm better off going back to the jewel boxes, I'm open to hearing your opinions as well. Thanks in advance for your suggestions.

Prior to ripping everything in iTunes, I used to have my CDs in a series of CD folders - each holding 320 CDs or 160 CDs with booklets. I mostly had them in a vaigly alphabetical order though within letters nt so organised. Some artists had a separate page, others were crammed together depenidig on number of CDs I had per artists.

Anyway they were convenient to access on a daily basis though since ripping everything the CDs are back in their original jewel cases.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

I thought about this one for sometime. This is what I did to save space, I chose not to put CDs back into their case. 10 CDs in the jewel case is about 4 inch wide this method gets 10 CDs to come out to about 1 inch wide.

-Take out all paper documents from jewel case.

-CD goes into a Tyvek envelope with clear window.

-All documents and CD go into resealable mylar clear envelopes.

-Each envelope is numbered. This reference number goes into the comments column in iTunes for reference.

-All these CDs goes into a Ikea (Kassett) shoe boxes individually labeled as per CD enclosed (i.e. #1-#80 and so forth)

I didn't want to do alphabetical because it was too limiting and this system allows the collection to grow with ease of reference without having to be restricted in space that alphabetical would have.

Jay

Jay

Raised on TV.

I use the Case Logic Double Sided ProSeeveII. These have a 'patented' nice soft liner which is said to be kinder to your cd's. (I've no idea if it's true but I have noticed that the cd's do not stick to the plastic of the wallet, after a few months in storage, as they do with the cheaper ones. I kinda think that stuff not sticking to stuff is a good thing. Unless of cause it's glue and then it's a bad thing!)

The cd goes in one side and the booklet in the other. The wallets then get stored in Ikea Kassett cd boxes. I can squeeze about 100 into each box. To save messing around I don't bother storing them in alphabetical order, I just maintain a spreadsheet of which box number each album is in. Works for me!

Yes I've seen Proslevees, but I needed to think economically and the Tyvek sleeves are cheaper. Got 1000 for the for $99 and 1000 mylar sleeves for $27. I got scared away when plastic sticks to these types of sleeves, maybe this new one (ProSleeveII) is better? Research around the web said Tyvek is preferred for archiving CDs and DVDs, better then paper as it doesn't yellow and is moisture resistant.

Paul-start now before collection gets too big is a good idea.

Jay

Jay

Raised on TV.