IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

• 2 weeks later...
New Findings

----------------

For couple of days, the Roon GUI has been prompting me that there are s/w updates available but I have been resisting in the fear that it might break something and spoil the fun of listening pleasure. More so, since I use Roon with HQP, I thought that the update would not be much useful sound wise as the back-end is completely handled in HQP. With Yggy I don't upsample in HQP since I found that the mega-burito filter in Yggy sounds better in my system but somehow just using the HQP make the sounds better than just Roon or MPD/DLNA mode. Today I decided to give it a spin (actually on Mike from MA's insistence) and test one more time the uRendu in Roon Ready mode with my Yggy. To my surprise, the SQ is just excellent now and sounds darn good. Folks who are using Roon/HQP combo, give it a try after updating Roon and see how it works for you. You might not need HQP at all with certain DACs.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27632[/ATTACH].

But you're keeping HQP I assume.

rogerdn

• 4 weeks later...
Thank you EarnMyTurns - nice to get useful information from someone a few miles away (I'm in Los Gatos). I've been running the MediaServer since the beginning using both my Sonos and Oppo as clients. I didn't think the uRendu would be just another client. However I was (am) unsure about who does the encapsulation of DSD into DoP packets if there is no media manager like FB2k to perform that function but Sonore says don't worry about it - it will be done in the uRendu. Still researching your suggestions for control points to install on my laptop. Thanks again - you helped a lot :)

mconnectHD is another control for iPad.

rogerdn

• 4 weeks later...
I'm using kazoo to control music via DNLA output on microrendu. I have also been on a trial with Roon, using RoonReady output and doing comparisons to decide if I want to pay for Roons great interface. At first I thought Roon had a slight edge. But with more time to compare I think I've come to the opposite conclusion. It is very close call on my system. I have not tried HQplayer and don't want to go there yet. In short, the DNLA output is no "set back" in my experience, and the controllers (kazoo or lumin) are not only nice, but also free.

My experience too.

rogerdn

• 3 weeks later...
Most of the heat dissipation for Schiit DACs comes from the self-powered portions, very different from the USB current draw and microRendu heating it may cause, which matters little to the DAC's overall dissipation (80mA is in the noise relative to the rest of the DAC's circuitry).

Sorry meant to say my microRendu runs hot.

rogerdn

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
I use the free "Logitech Squeezebox Controller" found in the app store.

Ok I've installed LSC on iPad, logged in, LMS on Synology, selected Squeezelite on microRendu, selected Diskstation for library, radio plays but no library/albums show, what am I missing ? Have a sonicTransporter for Roon, is there a setting I need for it too ?

rogerdn

• 2 months later...
I replaced mine with a Curious Cables Regen USB cable. Still need to do a side by side to determine whether I can hear any difference.

Thks, mine is missing then. I have an18" CC too, was wondering if the shorter adapter would be better. Probably should compare with the better adapter though.

rogerdn

• 3 weeks later...

I moved my hardware around today/rewireded, no longer can open the microRendu screen but it shows in sonicobritor.com, however can't Manage. IP address is same but no longer shows in Net Analyzer. But LED's are lit and yggy shows a connection when USB is connected but no Audio device shows in Roon.

rogerdn

57 minutes ago, t_ram said:

I don't know but I would think that would be the case. If it was just a software update then yes the price could remain the same. But for hardware I would think it justifies a price increase but then again he's offering the ultraRendu which would negate having to go through buying and returning a microRendu with the 1.4.

Now if you can find someone selling a microRendu for say $300 to $400 then it might be worthwhile to buy it and send it in for the the update. But it seems the going rate is around $500. It's just my guess that Jesus is encouraging new customers to go for the ultraRendu which will have everything that's the latest and most up to date that he can offer. I'm still pretty happy with the standard microRendu so I'm not sure I'll be changing anything anytime soon.

So will the ultraRendu have the 1.4 bd ? Or doesn't it use one ?

rogerdn

3 hours ago, t_ram said:

From my understanding Jesus is not calling the ultraRendu board 1.4. It's a new product but it does share some of what the 1.4 upgrade has. Jesus said this earlier in the thread...

The new version 1.4 main board shares among other thing one of the key components in the upcoming ultraRendu. The update changes the oscillator utilized for the CPU and the USB regenerative circuit while the remaining circuit design remains unchanged.

Thks, had missed that.

rogerdn

• 2 weeks later...