IGNORED

Sonore microRendu

I think the confusion here (and you aren't alone, lots of people seem to be confused) is because the new era of computer audio involves distributed computing. In this model, each device can do what it does best. The devices are spread out and connected via a network.

The other potentially confusing thing here is that the microRendu is very flexible: there are a whole lot of ways to distribute the devices over the network. But I think once you get the basic concept, you'll have an audiophile epiphany, and it will all make sense!

Let's look at my use scenario that I will be using when I get my microRendu:

I use Roon. So the Roon workhorse software, called RoonServer, will sit on a PC in my networking closet, far from my living room. The nature of this PC isn't that important, as long as it has the horsepower to run RoonServer. Meanwhile, in my living room, the microRendu will sit as close to the DAC as possible. It's forte is low noise and high signal integrity, unlike the PC in my networking closet, where that doesn't matter. It's also small, and doesn't take up a rack shelf. Yah!

Ok, where is the user interface? How I do I choose and play music? The microRendu can't do it. It's small, low CPU power, and it's expertise isn't as a GUI. Also, I don't want to run GUI software on it that will increase noise that could get into the DAC anyway. Ok, let's go back to the basic concept of distributed computing. The user interface can use it's own device. And we can use a "best of breed" device for our UI, because... distributed computing. In my opinion a tablet computer is the best way to display and control music information, so I'll use that! And my Ipad Air is very sexy using Roon. In fact, as a professional networking UI software developer, I've got to say it's one of the best UI programs I've ever used. But this is distributed computing! Use the UI device you like the best. The Roon Remote application on my Ipad Air talks back to the Roon Server in my networking closet, over the network.

Now, where are the music files if I'm not using my Tidal streaming? They are on the network, using a device that is optimized for serving files - a Synology NAS - Network Attached Storage. The NAS is also in my networking closet, far from my DAC in my living room, attached to the other devices via the network. That's great, because it has an annoying fan. Distributed computing again.

There are a lot of other ways to attach distributed devices on your network other than my use scenario. You might not be using Roon. Or, you can have a hard drive full of music in your PC server, and you don't need a NAS. Etc. But hopefully this helps with understanding of the basic concept of hanging specialized stuff off the network where you need it and where it does the most good...

Well said.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

Actually it is being said that the mRendu SQ rivals the sound of servers costing $3-5k, which might seem like a bold claim, but I bet it's going to be true!!

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

I'd be hesitant to listen to much conjecture about the microRendu (including my own to follow). It's a very different animal compared to a server. I wouldn't be surprised to hear people say the microRendu is better than any server at any price because of how it works and how it was designed. It could be a new paradigm for computer audiophiles.

Founder of Audiophile Style | My Audio Systems AudiophileStyleStickerWhite2.0.png AudiophileStyleStickerWhite7.1.4.png

• 3 weeks later...
Follow-up:

1) I connected an Airport Express (replaced the Belkin) and confirmed that I was able to get this chain to work:

Macbook Air >> wifi >> Airport Express >> RJ45 >> MicroRendu >> USB >> LIO dac

No connection to the internet - still seems to work fine.

So I think this proves that even if you don't have an internet connection, you can still use a MicroRendu with your computer - but only after you set it up your microRendu with the web interface via MySonicorbiter GUI (e.g. select App "Roon Player" or "Squeezelite," etc). But then it seems you don't have to have an internet connection to still get your computer to talk to the microRendu via a router.

I hope this makes sense and is just something to note - and not necessarily the best way for your applications and needs.

2)

Hi Simon,

Well, I tried with my other Macbook (with ethernet jack directly connected to microRendu)... no luck, yet. The reason is that the other macbook does not have Roon, and I could not go in via the web GUI to change to something else (e.g. Airplay, to do a simple test with iTunes).

I can only guess that if I did have Roon on this macbook, and set it up properly, and then did a direct connection of it to the microrendu, it would work. The macbook did say that it was connected to the microRendu, but I couldn't go into the GUI and change the App (even though I was connected to the internet via my wifi router, as the microRendu was not connected to that router). Make sense?

After the show I'll see if I can load Roon on this macbook (with ethernet jack) and try again.

----

Closing thoughts for tonight:

1) I hope my posts so far have not been confusing to future microRendu customers. I just want to get these findings out there in case they will be useful for some situations. The main one being:

Q: "I don't have my router in my listening room / I can't get RJ45 to my listening room - so now what?"

A: I was able to get an Apple Airport Express (and a Belkin wireless bridge) to work - clean / no dropout issues here. And I know JR mentioned before that another solution is ethernet over your AC power outlets. Never tried one of those devices and don't think I can bring myself to.... mentally, I have a hard time mixing my AC power and network signals, although I'm sure it works fine ;-)

2) Getting both the microRendu and Roon set up has been a breeze, and I am enjoying both very much! I have no plans to

go back to using a direct connection from computer to dac. This sounds too good! When the official production versions ship, you are all in for a real treat sonically! I look forward to reading user impressions, and wish the Sonore team a successful product launch!

3) If you're coming to AXPONA, please stop over and say hi. The microRendu will be with me in Room 336.

Vinnie

Hi Vinnie - Connecting straight from your laptop running Roon to the microRendu with an Ethernet cable will only work if you manually set the IP address on both the laptop and the microRendu. The microRendu will also need it's default gateway set to the address of your laptop.

I've done this with the Sonicorbiter SE.

I got fixed IP addresses for my sMS-100 and Sonicorbiter SE by telling DHCP in my router (Ubiquiti EdgeRouter) to map their MAC addresses to specified IPs. In general, sorting out IP address allocation in the DHCP server makes a lot more sense than messing around with individual networked devices.

This is how I recommend it 99% of the time when someone wants a specific IP for a device(s).

• 3 weeks later...
Sorry for maybe a silly question...

I own a Simaudio MOON USB Dac (230HAD DAC/headphone amp to be precise) which I use to play DSD 64-256 through a Win 10 PC running foobar. A custom audio driver provided by Simaudio is needed on my Win10 machine to play DSD. However, according to Simaudio, no driver when using a Mac OS-X machine, the MAC OS providing everything needed to play DSD. Nothing is said about Linux, however.

My concern: will the Sonore micro-rendu work in my setup ? If so, it could act as a (much cleaner and easily maintanable) substitute for the Win10/foobar combination I currently use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I can't say for sure, but I'm willing to bet it will work just fine. I have a Simaudio Moon DAC here that I can try. If this one works, yours should work as well. I'll try to test it soon.

Sorry for maybe a silly question...

I own a Simaudio MOON USB Dac (230HAD DAC/headphone amp to be precise) which I use to play DSD 64-256 through a Win 10 PC running foobar. A custom audio driver provided by Simaudio is needed on my Win10 machine to play DSD. However, according to Simaudio, no driver when using a Mac OS-X machine, the MAC OS providing everything needed to play DSD. Nothing is said about Linux, however.

My concern: will the Sonore micro-rendu work in my setup ? If so, it could act as a (much cleaner and easily maintanable) substitute for the Win10/foobar combination I currently use.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

I just tested the Simaudio 380D DSD with the microRendu. I am able to play PCM up through 384 kHz and DSD64 & DSD128 without any issues. Still working on DSD256 though. Not sure if I have my settings right.

Hi, Thanks for responding to my post.

But, it is my understanding that is precisely what the Roon intends for this new release. Along with reports from others that this is running great on their NAS drive: if 8GB of RAM and QuadCore 2.0GHZ processor with bursts up to 2.4GHZ, is significantly more processing power than my iMAC downstairs. Not going to shell out the big dollars for ROON + a new MAC.

My question was more of a "where?" are the install files, as opposed to "should."

Cheers,

It's not officially supported. If you want to give it a shot, the Linux install directions and packages / files are here https://kb.roonlabs.com/LinuxInstall

• 2 weeks later...
Just got mine set up last night. Wow, was that easy!! Took all of 15 minutes, and that counts peeling the paper backing off the rubber feet and sticking them on--by far the most challenging part of the set-up for me! I'm running Roon straight up (no HQ Player), and it sounded very good for zero warm-up time. Might add HQ Player later, but I'm streaming to a Yggdrasil DAC, which does its own upsampling and doesn't do DSD, so I don't see the point. (But if someone wants to tell me why it would be a worthwhile move, I'd welcome more information.) The Yggy's USB input is located directly above all the other digital inputs, so the hard adapter was a no-go for me. I'm using a regular consumer-grade USB cable for now, and in a few days I'll receive and try out an LH Labs Lightspeed 2G USB split cable. I'll let you all know how that one sounds.

Once again, I'd really like to thank Jesus, John, Andrew, et al., for a super-smooth set-up experience. It really works as flawlessly as advertised. I kept waiting for some hitch or error message during the installation, but all I got was great-sounding music, right off the bat. Can't wait to hear what it sounds like after a hundred hours of burn-in.

Hi Storytime - Are you sure the split cable will work with the single USB port in the microRendu?

• 2 weeks later...
Just received the Sonore SPS and it looks very sleek and well built. DC cable is also very nicely made. However, I'm having trouble getting sound to come out of the microRendu. Everything is powered up and the track on Roon shows that it is playing but I get nothing.

Any ideas?

Volume in Roon? Volume on component?

Amps off? (I've done this)

My dac is the Resonessence Mirus Dac. When I use the Dac diagnostics it says, "No audio devices found. Attach a USB DAC to this system. It can't seem to find my dac, although it has in the past, and I have got it to work when it did this in the past. I use a switch, could that be an issue?

I would unplug the DAC from power and unplug the USB cable from the DAC. Then reconnect both cables to the mR.

I received my uR this morning but cannot get my network to see it. It is connected to a Netgear R8500 directly and to my DAC via a Curious Cable usb. I have also tried a basic cheap usb. I have rebooted both my modem and router but it isn't recognized. What am I doing wrongly? Thanks

Robin

Hi Robin - Did you go to this site MySonicorbiter to see if it appears?

Also, have you tried scanning your LAN with a tool like iNet or LanScan on OS X or Angry IP Scanner on any operating system? This may tell you if the mR is getting an IP address on your network.

Also make sure the micro SD card is still in place.

I spoke too soon. My network sees it but it does not see my DAC which is an Extreme RAKK DAC IV. I have not had any issues with my Mac Pro or Macbook seeing my DAC

When I attempt adding my DAC, I get this:

Error in alsa-capabilities (v0.9.1): aplay did not find any soundcard.

Does that DAC still use the M2Tech USB receiver?