IGNORED

MQA at CES

None, they offer a firmware module for the XMOS chip commonly used to implement USB interfaces for DACs. So typically MQA decoding wouldn't work for example if you send the data to a DAC through S/PDIF.

None: You then mean as the present situation ?

Or are you also saying the decoded MQA must use an USB interface. Always.

Or that even if a dac chip was MQA it could not communicate over spdif.

Like the Auralic had to use the USB interface ? (If released).

Can someone clear up a little confusion (?) on my part about MQA. Is there just a one size fits all file or are there different MQA files for each different resolution. For example, Tea for the Tillerman can be had at 64 & 128 DSD, & 192/24, does that mean there will be 3 different MQA files?

Not sure if I understand your question, and DSD is not part of MQA.

The coded MQA can either be 16 or 24 bit, (and 32 also seems as an option), these can then have either 44.1 or 48 before decompressing.

Unless you are told up front what resolution the original master was, those possible 6 combinations can unpacked to n combinations where n is one of these numbers: 1,2,4,8. (Multiplied with either 44.1 or 48). Depending of the master of cause.

To bring size into this may confuses more, as a file can have any size.

There can only exist one MQA originated from the master recording. But the record company seems to be allowed to decide how to deliver in either 24 or 16 bit. if the original was 16, so in theory you could generate more than one MQA file. (My understanding).

When it comes to decode and what is allowed, the communication from MQA is non existing at the moment to other companies.

A lower sampling frequenzy out to the DAC would mean less size, but then again I think size do not matter in this discussion.

Did I in some way answer your question ?

This whole MQA thing is an abortion. Why put AURALIC through the ringer. This was no surprise that Auralic was leading this charge and was quite embarrassed at the CES 2016 show caught with their pants down. AURALIC can just update their Aries streamer with a new product with the MQA chip if need be. No?

This has nothing to do with HW. Believe me.

I know for sure now from a reliable source that MQA (the company) did not not see the Auralic prosess as a complete MQA prosess. At the moment a MQA profiled DAC is a requirement. And that is also why the Mini is a MQA product.

It may happen that Auralic was a bit smarter than MQA knew, and this default profile was not aproved by MQA. But that is speculation.

So the best we can hope for at the moment is that Roon (and others) is allowed to create muliprofile DAC SW. As a default SW profile DAC is not acceped. This may be limited to USB DAC's.

Reason to be found in Roon forum. (Two way communication, DAC identifier).

No, I meant that there are currently no DAC chips or S/PDIF receivers out on the market that would have MQA decoder. The current solutions they seem to offer are firmware/software.

Agreed. But the whole intention is to add firmware / software to present DAC's filter and timing issues. So the currently solutions will not differ from the future ones.

Also I have not seen any technical argument not to put that SW outside the DAC itself.

Is there ?

With the talk of Apple ditching the RCA plug and talk of DAC capable headphones due to the new connection this has bound to have an effect on MQA. MQA headphones anyone?

Well Bluetooth can't be used, nor AirPlay, or ?

Do we lack technology for hi res wireless streaming (to headphones), or is WiFi OK ?

MQA ready according to 5-27-2015 DAR report would be a FIRMWARE solution to hardware manufacturers and nothing more which is exactly what AURALIC was actually prepared for.

http://www.digitalaudioreview.net/2015/05/munich-high-end-2015-is-meridian-mqa-the-new-dsd/

And if this tiny Meridian Device is MQA ready then how can the Auralic Aries which is a much more advanced streamer be the same with the already planed firmware upgrade blind sided by Meridian.

https://www.meridian-audio.com/products/streaming/media-source-200/

Unless someone much smarter then myself (definitely most others on this forum) can explain to me what is the difference between a MQA ready DAC vs non MQA ready?

My additional thoughts.. that this about the money and licensing fee DISPUTE between Auralic and Meridian... ONLY... Thoughts?

I think you have misunderstood. That Meridian streamer is not MAQ. Their look alike Explorer 2 DAC is.

As said in privious post. The Auralic Mini is MQA, but only RCA out. Not spdif.

So we can hopfully conclude that Tidal Redbok streaming quality will be the same with MQA encoded redbok fils. (Without MQA equipment)

And Miske can still keep his hi-fi subscription :D

As for hi res files we may conclude different, unless you have MQA equipment.

(But still equal or better than Redbok).

R1200CL

Strange! I clicked the link you provided. Went through the captions 3 times. No MQA files.

Perhaps the provision is area/country related. Just like Linn as regards the 2015 Christmas offer. Not for me even though I received notices as a customer with account.

Can't think of any logical reason for a area restriction. Then that must also apply to the webshop. I can ask 2L, but maybe it is a cache issue with your browser. Can you test with another ?

The MQA header/captions shall be between Stereo 24BIT/96kHz and 5.1 Surround 24BIT/96kHz

Also test this direct link to a download file:

http://www.lindberg.no/hires/mqa/2L-111_15_stereo_DXD_FLAC.mqa.flac

How did you end up with such conclusion!?

The Nielsen recording may be only exception, but it is an old low-res recording anyway. I only compare to my RedBook conversions from the original DXD versus the MQA one.

And piano doesn't produce any considerable amount of overtones to benefit from higher sampling rates/bandwidth. So I always consider it sort of joke when someone uses piano as hires test material.

But the only correct recording is the Nielsen one to compare. The idea is that old 16 bit redbok should sound better with MQA applied on a non MQA DAC than if the same record has no MQA attached.

For the other tracks delivered in 24/352.8, they at least has to be converted to 16/44.1, and then compared with the 24/44.1 MQA file.

Still, not a good test, as you need original 16/44.1 and the same recording also in MQA codec. Agree ?

Michael is an MQA "true believer" (has been from the beginning) and will ban you if you ask the hard questions on his blog (as he has done in the past). I like his DAC reviews as his impressions line up with mine, but I don't consider him a reliable source as to anything MQA. Read with discernment...

Well, I've gave him a challange :D Let's see how he perform....

This is the most logical and likely correct explanation anyone has offered .

The deleted FB should be read one more time.

"It is unfortunately that MQA has decided to pull back the integration on ARIES/ARIES LE during CES as they have decided to make it an 'end to end' technology which means it will always requests a MQA certificated DAC to work.

ARIES ARIES LE, will be able to playback or stream music contains MQA format but will not listed MQA certificated device, to benefit from MQA, you will need a MQA certificated DAC and this is the only way.

We are sorry about the decision made by MQA."

Now when will MQA be willing to say this public ?

Why is this British Flying Cirsus still avlive?

Cause they totally f.....

Auralic update yesterday: (no real news)

AURALiC add MQA, RoonReady to Aries at CES 2016 | DAR__KO

And here a confirmation? they did output the full hi res stream.

http://www.head-fi.org/t/787020/review-comparison-of-5-high-end-digital-music-servers-aurender-n10-cad-cat-server-totaldac-d1-server-auralic-aries-audiophile-vortex-box/240#post_12238050

"Auralic - They were the only company I came across to announce both RoonReady and MQA status with their next firmware due out soon for the Aries and Aries Mini. Unlike Aurender, the Aries will have MQA enabled without regard to the DAC connected to it. In speaking with MQA, this is acceptable but not ideal and if you stream an MQA file that contains a recording originally recorded at 352 KHz oversampling (and apparently they do have such native recordings), for example, and your DAC is not capable of such a file, there could be problems with "lock ups" or issues with SQ. In the Auralic room, they were running an Aries Mini streaming an MQA file to a pair of wireless speakers. While it's nice to be able to show this convenience and capability, to my ears, the sound was very flat. It didn't do them any favors."

Just to be clear, "regular" bluetooth uses an mp3 like logarithm that varies depending on the signal stregnth, and if memory serves is at best equal to 128 (though that is rare as I understand it). Aptx is an improved version that gets you a slightly better bit rate. Sooo, when you stream to a phone using a service at 320 or below, and then use bluetooth, you are compressing/processing the music twice, which is no doubt why it sounds so bad (even through a low-fi car stereo).

Aptx described as "near CD quality" is marketing speak for "I am selling you a load of s#*t"

I suppose I should not have been surprised that I could hear the difference between music processed lossy once as opposed to twice through my car stereo...

MAQ Bluetooth ?

aptX HD Provides Music Enjoyment At 24-bit Hi-Res Audio Via Bluetooth

Enjoy the Music.com High-End Audio & Music Industry News

Not near 24/48, but it is 24/48. Can it be too good to be true.

Time will tell...

Others as well strugles with MQA implementation.

From What Hi-Fi:

"But there’s a catch: the MQA compatibility isn’t ready just yet. A firmware update in early 2016 will make the Pioneer player fully MQA-ready. Seems like we have to wait a bit longer to try the new technology."

Until the "master" is an MQA file. Don't think it can't or won't happen. Record companies don't actually behave like you are assuming and make a big effort to keep some pristine "master" version around. Sometimes they do, sometimes they don't.

No different than basterdized versions (say with heavy volume compression) becoming the "master"- and after this happens no other version seems to exist anymore. Yes it does happen.

I think the updated? FAQ in MQA HomePage may answer this. Maybe you native English should have a look, and see if things are a bit more clear about how the studio / master encoding can be done. As there are at least more than one option.

Also I was thinking of copy all those FAQs and add into a blog here.

(And add all the unanswerd qustions maybe as well).