IGNORED

URGENT - CREDIT CARD FRAUD

As I had purchased a download from HD tracks using my credit card some considerable time ago, I just logged into my account ,

and attempted to remove my credit card details. I changed the last 4 digits in an attempt to have the card rejected, then UPDATED.

The original information was reinserted.

I was however, able to amend the card expiry date to June 2009.

I expect that it was too late though.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

" I find the comments offensive also ... ask the original poster to edit his posts to something more acceptable, without losing the gist of the original warning."

Instead of the OP entitling the thread " HDTRACKS.COM SITE IS STEALING CREDIT CARD INFO" the title should have been written along the lines of WARNING! CRIMINALS ALLEGEDLY BREACH HDTRACKS SECURITY AND STEAL CREDIT CARD INFO.

Although the second version does not grab as much attention as the more sensationalistic title of the OP.

It is far better because it does not inadvertently implicate the Cheskys or HD Tracks by accusing the person or persons responsible. Namely THE CRIMINALS.

After all is said and done, HD Tracks patrons, HD Tracks itself, its employees, and the Cheskys are all victims of these criminal hackers.

James[br]

HDtracks is PCI compliant. We are in the process of obtaining further security verifications for our store and our servers. We continue our audit of the site's security to ensure that it is safe. As we have stated, we take these concerns very seriously.

The HDtracks staff worked diligently throughout the weekend investigating these concerns. If we discover that there were any security breaches on the site we will notify any customers that we believe may be affected. This isstill to be determined.

We can tell you that ingenious hackers are an unfortunate fact of life on

the internet and that credit cards remain vulnerable despite the latest

security technology. That being said, HDtracks will continue to implement every safeguard available to us to ensure that the site is as secure as possible.

We are always available to answer any questions or concerns you may have. Please understand, that HDtracks is a start-up created to serve the audiophile community. It is our goal to offer a product that is not readily available anywhere else. We would appreciate your patience and support.

Thank you.

Norman and David Chesky

"If we discover that there were any security breaches on the site we will notify any customers that we believe may be affected. This is still to be determined."

The brothers Chesky are having problems dealing with reality.

Are there any NYC residents here who would be interested in reporting this to the local consumer agency???

Mike

It seems that their internal 'investigation' is trying to gather evidence that they've been hacked (or more likely prove that they haven't been) as opposed to looking at the actual evidence starting with Dean's "smoking gun" - a credit card that ONLY had been used at HDTracks.

They may NOT discover if/how hackers have gained access to credit card data, if indeed this has occurred, and any inability to do so would NOT prove the innocence that they hope it will, but can only prove further haplessness on their part.

IMNSHO, it's time for the authorities to do the investigating.

Indeed, in many cases like this, the eventual explanation is that it's NOT sophisticated computer hackers that have broken into a secure environment, but rather, a much more obvious scenario - albeit one that is very difficult (for owners) to believe, and therefore investigate on their own.

That is to say, it's much easier to believe that the criminal is some nefarious hacker than, say, one of your own.

There's a reason that police investigators start their investigation with those who are closest to the 'crime'.

clay

in response to my emails to HDtracks.

note the comment about updates in the next 24 hours.

clay

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thank you for alerting us to this issue. Your security concerns are very

important to us at HDtracks. We have elevated this issue to "HIGHEST

PRIORITY" with website management. Please know that we are in the process of investigating any possible security breaches. We will correspond with you shortly with any helpful information that arises as a result of our investigation. While we work to resolve this issue you can be assured that you can continue to shop safely on the site utilizing the Pay Pal option.

Thank you again for your support of the HDtracks Hi Res Digital Music Store. We have safely and successfully processed thousands and thousands of transactions since our launch last year and will continue to do everything in our power to ensure that shopping with HDtracks is a safe, secure experience for our customers.

We will have further updates for you within the next 24 hours. If you have any further questions, please do not hesitate to contact us.

Kindest Regards,

The HDtracks Team

Unfortunately, I'm adding my experience with the same sort of fraudulent charges on my Debit card. The charges were also made in the UK so to add insult to injury, there was a foreign transaction charge.

Fortunately, I became aware of these charges within 48 hours of their being made so I was able to cancel that card pretty quickly.

I submit that considering the international nature of the charges being made and the types of charges being made (mine were with TicketMaster) that we are the victims of an organized, web savvy group who could have breached all but the most sophisticated security. (btw, some upper end stores- Tiffany's- are very loose with credit card rules since some of their customers consider it insulting to have to follow the same rules that the unwashed massed do)

I have to admit that I was pretty upset when I realized that it was through HDtracks that the credit card numbers were stolen, but now that I've had a chance to think about it, HDtracks is potentially the biggest victim of all.

Hopefully I'll get my $1600 back (which is pretty important since I've been on unemployment for 10 months) but if we loose our heads, the best online source for hi rez downloads could be hurt permanently.

So, please take my advice and " Walk a Mile in Their Shoes". It's a legal issue now and they can only say what their legal advisers will let them or they open themselves up to crazy ass lawsuits.

It appears that they have sent an email alert message to all their customers. They are on the right track now. The next step is for them to provide some assurance to us that they have strengthened their security. I would like to see HD Tracks back in good standing with our online community.

Mike

"I would like to see HD Tracks back in good standing with our online community."

Mike, given that you were one of the victims, I think that's a very heartfelt and reasonable request.

They're definitely on the right track in my view.

clay

Very sorry to hear all of you that have encountered problems with HD Tracks. I have bought some stuff recently with these guys but paid though my PayPal account which is still intact. Is this more secure?

Trying to make sense of all the bits...MacMini/Amarra -> WavIO USB to I2S -> DDDAC 1794 NOS DAC -> Active XO ->Bass Amp Avondale NCC200s, Mid/Treble Amp Sugden Masterclass -> My Own Speakers

That must have been a really tough e-mail for HDTRACKS to send out. Yes, they deserve our support.

Over the course of my career I’ve had the privilege and frustration of working for a couple of “mad genius entrepreneur” types. The same characteristics that make people like that take on “impossible” tasks can sometimes give them blind spots to problems. Particularly when those problems threaten the operation. I’ve never met the Cheskys, but based on the fact that they’re taken on the task of improving the music world by selling a product that’s SO far ahead of the curve, I’m guessing they fit that description.

Was HDTRACKS a victim here? Yes, it seems that way. Was this a real problem for a bunch of their customers, including me? It certainly appears to be the case. Did they communicate with their customers in the best possible way? No, not in my opinion. But, are they trying to make things right now? You bet, so now we need to help them grow their business and get past this episode.

I believe the issue now is restoring the trust we placed in them when we purchased products from them. As I recall, when I used their download program it called up a dialogue box on my Mac that said something like: “HDTRACKS download program wants to take control of your computer. Is this OK?” Would you now answer “yes” to that? What happened to all of our personal data on their server and back up media? May we delete it?

So all of you Internet mavens and comp. sci. geeks: what practicable, affordable suggestions can we offer to help HDTRACKS? What ‘s the best way to solve the trust issues?

If the HDTRACKS folks are reading this I hope you won’t think it presumptuous of us to be offering these suggestions. Clearly you’ve got a community of people who truly believe in what you’re doing and we want you to succeed. But even the best product in the world (did I mention how great the hi rez downloads are?) won’t survive if customers don’t feel they can trust the company selling it. Lets please not let that happen here.

www.wci.nyc

I believe the safest solution may be to purchase with a Paypal account that is funded by a credit card which offers great customer service (e.g. Amex). This would seem to provide two avenues for potential recourse in the event of problems.

Others have posted elsewhere that some major credit card providers offer temporary account numbers, but I don't know much about this, AND, it would seem to reduce the not insignificant convenience of online shopping.

clay

From the very bottom of an email on the 22nd of October :

HDtracks News

HDtracks has implemented new security features in our store. We are proud to now feature the TrustGuard Seal, as well as employing the same security software that secures some of the world's most sensitive websites including financial institutions, e-commerce websites, universities, government agencies and many other e-businesses. If you are paying by credit card, at check-out you will be asked to re-enter your credit card information. HDtracks does not store your credit card information, that information is kept for processing by our accredited credit card processing company only.

SandyK

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

• 2 weeks later...

I just got notified by my bank that there have been unauthorized transactions on the card I've used for HDTracks purchases. If you haven't cancelled any cards used on that site prior to their security fix, terminate them now! Kudos to BOA for catching it quickly. BOA had not been notified by HDTracks of possible breaches.

Charly - can you tell us the date(s) of the fraudulent attempts to use your account? I'm hoping your account info was nabbed prior to the recent "fix" on the security of the HD Tracks site. I guess that's not really relevant come to think of it - regardless of when the attempts against your account were made, the account info could have been snagged weeks ago. Oh well. Anyone who has ever charged anything at HD Tracks would be well advised to have their cards cancelled and reissued. Very easy and simple to do.

All, I've just seen this thread so I don't want anyone to think I'm being critical. Some credit card issuers (Discover is one) will let you download a little application that gives you a unique credit card number for every transaction. That way, no matter who steals the number it won't work for anything but the first transaction. I think others do this as well, perhaps you have this capability, it would sure help this sort of thing. Good luck!

Ray

Ray[br]Viola Player| Parasound HP-850, Acurus A100, Technics SL-M3, Velodyne SPL-II, Mirage Omni 250, Musical Fidelity V-DAC

• 1 year later...
  • 2 months later...

Scrutinizing the effectiveness of credit scoring in that sense is one of the best things to secure our financial assets. Henceforth, the actual money criteria will be evaluated also. Indeed, this is a very essential opportunity to realize to avoid financial gamble and trick. A person's credit score is intended to indicate how risky of a gamble they might be. There are three credit-reporting agencies that each develops their own scores. Very specific actions can have very specific effects on your credit rating. Even that personal loan you take out could impact your credit rating.