IGNORED

External Speaker for my Macbook Pro

I see in publications that bluetooth computer speakers abound these days. I'm seeking advice about these speakers as like to rest from headphone listening from time to time. Use a Macbook Pro (El Capitan), Meridian Explorer (this small DAC bypassing notebook sound card). Like to buy external speaker(s) and prefer small footprint (one speaker is fine if sound quality is there), Bluetooth or not. Use JRiver Media Center for Mac and play my music files via a My Passport Ultra. What external notebook speaker(s) have good sound quality that are not to difficult to drive, that I can use my Meridian Explorer inline from my Macbook to same speaker(s) for better sound quality than direct from Macbook sound card? I require no seperate subwoofer arrangement. Thank you kindly in advance.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

I forgot to add need device ability to handle up to 192 kHz resolution files. Open to WiFi, Bluetooth and wired devices. Budget up to $650, but rather spend less. Seems new devices are appearing fast and furious and I'm overwhelmed with this area of audio, hence reaching out here for advice. Thank you.

“Lenin wanted to destroy the state, and that’s my goal too. I want to bring everything crashing down, and destroy all of today’s establishment.” Steve Bannon

Chief Strategist for President Trump and attendee on United States National Security Council.

Checking out Audioengine's website I see their bluetooth devices are limited to 96 kHz. I'm also looking for small footprint external speaker(s) to connect through my > Meridian Explorer Dac to my > Macbook Pro. I'd rather not use a built-in Dac in one of these bluetooth powered speaker devices if I can avoid it. I am familar with the Dac in the Meridian Explorer and it is very good for my purposes with the Macbook Pro (and I've also owned three different portable Dacs which were all more expensive than my Meridian Explorer), and yes I've owned many seperate expensive Dacs for my main audio system over the past decade. JBL has a decent looking bluetooth speaker, but tech specs and informaion are limited on product, so will keep looking and maybe someone will reply who really knows the Bluetooth external speaker options for use with a Macbook Pro with the Meridian Explorer (the original) portable Dac. I'd love to see a Meridian Bluetooth powered speaker for use with their portable desktop PC/Mac Dacs, but I'm almost for sure hoping for the impossible (v: PS - That Marshall branded wireless speaker is butt ugly, unless I suppose you're a rock guitar loving buyer. Most of these wireless computer speaker devices seem made and marketed for mainstream consumers likely with sound quality to match, but one can hope device for audiophiles are coming in near future.

As I understand you have a MacBook Pro connected to a Meridian Explorer and you're looking for speaker to use with this combination?

Do you need to be able to connect any additional devices?

If you're using the analogue output of the Explorer than 24/96 vs 24/192 is not something the speaker itself needs to be concerned with. Now if you wish to use Bluetooth (wireless) then you will no longer be using the Explorer.

I've not heard them myself, but I do read a lot about the JBL LSR305 and LSR308 and these would seem ideal for your situation (as I understand it). You'll just need to connect a 3.5mm to RCA cable to the inputs of the JBL via a small RCA to TR Jack adaptor (or you can get a suitable 3.5mm to TR Jack cable but they are harder to find).

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thank you for replying.

Bryan i just purchased a pair of JBL LSR 305's Eloise mentions... I have an older iMac with a SSD that i use strictly for music. I simply have those speakers connected to my headphone jack out for now and they sound amazingly good.

i bought a used DAC from Paul (if it ever arrives!! LOL) that i am going to use to experiment with between the iMac and the speakers. But the point i am trying to make is i am very impressed with the sound coming from the JBL's even without an external DAC. Unfortunately i will not attempt to describe the sound of the speakers b/c i don't actually understand most of the nomenclature and terms used by audiophiles. It is a matter of a lack of sophistication on my part more than anything else. I will say that their sound is not harsh...they allow me to hear clearly the different instruments in a realistic sounding manner. The low end (bass) is apparent without being overwhelming. And they can play at elevated volume without distortions or listener fatigue. These speakers were a fill in for the audio engine A2's that were sent in for repair. I got them on sale for $99 each and have been penny for penny the best money i have spent on audio equipment in a VERY long time...