IGNORED

beginning of the song

vassili

Hello everyone,

Have a question. Looks like everybody are not happy about silence between songs. Agree that it should hurt if it should not be there. But I have another, and probably opposite problem. In a real CD world when you press "play" button the sound doesn't come immediately, it has about 2 seconds delay, and I find it absolutely right way because you have a possibility to concentrate on the beginning of the sound. In iTunes, and looks like in every software player (correct me if I'm wrong), the sound come exactly with your "click", what I found really not that good. So, is there any way to have this "real CD-like" couple of seconds delay after pushing the "play" in software player? I know that that pregap will appear if you listen the whole CD (and what many people don't like), but I'm listening in most cases just one song, and then another one and so on - so how can I get the pregap? And can I at all?

(correct me if I'm wrong)

not so with XXHighEnd;

First it takes a small amount of time to load the track into memory, but next this is just a setting (as long as you want). Only counts for when you start playback.

But I fully agree; even with a remote, sitting all nice and quiet ready for music, it is strange when sound starts immediately right after pressing the button.

Peter

Lush^3-e      Lush^2      Blaxius^2.5      Ethernet^3     HDMI^2     XLR^2

XXHighEnd (developer)

Phasure NOS1 24/768 Async USB DAC (manufacturer)

Phasure Mach III Audio PC with Linear PSU (manufacturer)

Orelino & Orelo MKII Speakers (designer/supplier)

Dear Peter,

XXHighEnd is PC-only player? No Mac version (I have MacPro)? Will it work under Parallels?

BTW - I found it really strange, that I do not see a lot of complains about this immediate start. The beginning and the end of the sound are two wonderful things (especially in Classic and Jazz), and really strange, that so many guys with the gear, capable to show those wonders in full beauty, just don't care about it.

vassili

It's damn annoying isn't it ? That few seconds delay with the CD gives you a chance to put your head back and relax a little.

How a Digital Audio file sounds, or a Digital Video file looks, is governed to a large extent by the Power Supply area. All that Identical Checksums gives is the possibility of REGENERATING the file to close to that of the original file.

PROFILE UPDATED 13-11-2020

A bit of a kludgy solution ... but you could always create a few seconds of silence in Audacity or similar, save this as a .wav and then create a playlist including this "silence" as the first track.

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

BTW - I found it really strange, that I do not see a lot of complains about this immediate start.

Ask those who use Amarra which can't even play gapless. At least I can't understand *that*.

There was a time this "feature" wasn't there yet in XXHE, and when I wanted to seriously listen to a track, I always started with the track before (could be in the middle) in order to to be 100% prepared for what I wanted to listen to. So I guess it is *that* important (ok, for me).

Yea, PC only. Sorry. (or Bootcamp)

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)

Peter,

OK - Bootcamp. Will it be same sound quality as on real PC? Will firewire work (I ordered Weiss Vesta to connect to my dCS Purcell/Delius combo) in this case?

And OK - question to those who use Amarra (also planned to purchase) - does this pregap (2 seconds of silence before the beginning of the song after pushing "play" or "enter") exists if you play not the whole album or playlist, but just a single song?

Hi Vasilli,

XXHighEnd sure is used by Mac users, and I never received any question about this or that not working. How the sound quality relates to a normal PC I can't tell. I never heard anyone "complain" so to say, so I guess it's okay (doesn't matter, doesn't differ).

Keep in mind it needs Vista (or W2008 or W7).

If you have any questions by the time you're up and running, don't hesitate to drop them on the Phasure forum. And might you want some additional functionality in this area or another, just ask. We tend to make everything which is found useful.

Thanks,

Peter

XXHighEnd (developer)