IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2017-05-27 at 3:05 PM, Sanlitun said:

But is this why the volume now pops to 100% if you have Force Volume on Tidal set?

I wasn't using this version yet as it was not clear where the volume was being attenuated, on the Brooklyn or in Tidal.

Yes.  You have to remove the max volume setting.

For firmware 2.34, the volume is being attenuated on the DAC.

I find the HID volume control works with the Windows 10 (Creators Update) system control.  However, it is not linear --- -99 to - 48 will regigister only 2 on Windows -- moving the slider over just a little on windows will cause a large jump above -48 causing the volume to be dangerously loud.  Roon and the Tidal App can be set to use the Windows system control.  JRiver Media Media Center can be set to use the Windows system control but one cannot change the volume when a song is playing.  Overall, I'd rather not have the HID volume control, so I have reverted back to firmware 2.32.  Also, the MQA indication looks nicer with firmware 2.32 than 2.34.

mQa is dead!

• 1 month later...
5 hours ago, whacky said:

Yeah, I am using all of those settings. And it will output DSD128 no problem. 

I just want to know why a DAC that states it supports DSD256, and a program that clearly has support for it are not allowing the users to upscale to that level. Especially if other users of A+ with other DACs are able to do so without difficulty. 

The Brooklyn supports native DSD up to DSDx256 -- that normally means support for DSD via DoP is limited to DSDx128 (DoP takes twice the resources). Further, an ASIO driver is required for native DSD. There is no such driver for Mac OS (and Audirvanna) -- therefore, only DSD via DoP is possible, hence DSDx128.

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, mumsoft said:

I think your experiments are quite exhaustive. To find out this myself in my set, I increased the volume of the Brooklyn. To 0 dB, and at about -27 dB I can hear the buzz coming in. At 0dB it is significant, of course, as would be the 'music' if I dared to play a record at that level.

But at normal volume, now at -44 with 10 CC's I'm not in love, there is nothing wrong.

No jumpers attached, no external power source.

I hope you will get more answers, so you can decide if there is anything unusual in the phono-part of your Brooklyn. As a whole, phono-amps are quite sensitive to hum and noise thanks to the very tiny current that a cartridge outputs.

BTW I used an MM cartridge.

Marc

Some MM cartridges are famous for hum.  This was the main reason for me switching to an MC high output cartridge on my main system. (I have not tried it with the Brookyln DAC yet, though.)

mQa is dead!

19 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

Likewise, the only reported change is " improved: USB audio class volume control on Windows".  Still has the tiny hard to see MQA logo.

This was an issue I had complained to Mytek about. I'll need to get the firmware and try it out.  I am happy to see that Mytek is very responsive.  They also updated the user manual -- it now includes mention of the HID volume settings, etc.

mQa is dead!

15 hours ago, lucretius said:

This was an issue I had complained to Mytek about. I'll need to get the firmware and try it out.  I am happy to see that Mytek is very responsive.  They also updated the user manual -- it now includes mention of the HID volume settings, etc.

I installed the 2.36 firmware.  The HID volume control now works well with the Windows system volume slider.  Unfortunately, some apps (that take exclusive control) do not play nice with the system volume slider) -- so I still prefer to disable HID volume.  Nonetheless, the Roon and Tidal apps work fine with the HID volume control.

mQa is dead!

• 2 weeks later...
5 hours ago, John Eaton said:

Yesterday on the JRiver Interact forum I posted the following:

Just purchased MC 23 along with a new PC to go with my Mytek Brooklyn DAC.  On my older, slower Windows 10 PC, MC 22 allowed me to select "Mytek USB Audio (ASIO)" as an Audio Device as instructed in the Mytek Software Setup User Guide.

For whatever reason JRiver MC 23 with my new PC does not does not see the Mytek audio options under Audio Device.

I did download the Mytek USB Driver for Win 10.  Both Tidal HiFi and Roon recognize the Mytek DAC and properly play back at all supported resolutions including MQA encoded files.

JRiver plays through the Brooklyn but only at 16 bit 24 KHz, even on Hi Rez files.
What am I missing?

As of now I have had no replies from the JRiver folks.  Today I rolled back to a Media Center 22 and after reinstalling the Mytek USB driver (several times), I finally got the Mytek Audio (ASIO) option to show up and for a brief time all was fine with JRiver, Mytek, and my new PC.

Not being one to leave well enough alone, I decided to reload MC 23.  Once I did I was right back to the same problem of JRiver not seeing the Brooklyn as an Audio Device.

Roon and Tidal continue to work fine through the Mytek.  I wonder if MS and their recent Class 2 USB audio support is causing some confusion between it and the Mytek USB audio driver.

There is one thing I am for sure not clear on. A line in Mytek’s USB 2.0 ASIO Software User Guide states “ensure that the Mytek Manhattan II DAC or The Brooklyn DAC is connected to your computer with its INPUT set to USB2.”

Does this mean (in theory) JRiver and the Brooklyn will work only via USB 2.0 and is not intended to work with a USB 3.0 connection, or is there really a USB2 input on my computer?  I know my new PC only has USB 3.0 connections. Then again, for a time, JRiver was showing the Brooklyn as an input device and all was working properly.

The good news is Roon and Tidal are playing well with the Brooklyn.

Any ideas will be appreciated.

I sometimes had this problem in the past when installing a new version of JRMC - I had a different DAC then. What I did after JRMC was installed was to uninstall the DAC's ASIO driver and reinstall it and then it would show up in JRMC and work fine.  In addition to the DAC, I also had a Soundblaster card installed in the computer at the time.

I still have JRMC version 22.0.108 installed and it's working fine with the Mytek Brooklyn.  No other sound sources/drivers are installed on my computer (turned off the motherboard sound in the bios - removed installed audio card). I am using Windows 10 Creators Update.

The DAC should work fine with the USB3 port - which is backwards compatible.

mQa is dead!

• 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Em2016 said:

Hi all, has MQA and RAATbeen being working fine with the Brooklyn, even before this July Roon update?

Roon can 'pass through' Tidal  MQA to the Brooklyn without issues?

Cheers

The Mytek Brooklyn is a Roon tested DAC -- it is not a "Roon Ready" device.  There is no implementation of RAAT in the DAC. For the DAC to communicate with Roon, it must be connected directly to a Roon Core or a Roon Bridge or a Roon Ready device. 

I have no probem passing MQA streams via a Roon Core (connected to Tidal) to my Mytek Brooklyn.

mQa is dead!

• 5 weeks later...
On 10/7/2017 at 11:01 AM, occamsrazor said:

DAC+ sounds very interesting, but will depend which type of streaming it supports. If it does Roon and Audirvana that would be awesome. Dante would be pretty useful too but unlikely I guess.

It appears the DAC+ is merely an updated version of the Brooklyn DAC.  In this case then, it does not directly support streaming -- the stream must be fed to the DAC from a streaming device or computer.

mQa is dead!

• 3 weeks later...
On 10/21/2017 at 2:57 PM, Henchard said:

BROOKLYN DAC+ PCM filters

The just released Mytek Brooklyn DAC+ has a batch of new PCM filter shapes. Any help in deciphering the best sounding use/applicability of any or all of the following would be appreciated. I listen to Aurender files, and Tidal and Qobuz streaming. Listening is my only audio skill.

FRMP-fast roll-off, minimum phase filter

SRMP-slow roll-off, minimum phase filter

FRLP-fast roll-off, linear phase filter

SRLP-slow roll-off, linear phase filter

APDZ-apodizing, fast roll-off. linear phase filter

HBRD-hybrid, fast roll-off, minimum phase filter

BRCK-brickwall filter

The above list is all the owner's manual supplies for these filter settings, with no usage suggestions.

Wow.  The Brooklyn DAC (no plus) has only these filters for PCM:

• MPH (Minimum Phase)
  • SR (Slow Roll-Off)
  • FR (Fast Roll-Off)

It's not clear whether SR and FR are minimum phase or linear phase.

mQa is dead!

1 hour ago, PMJ72 said:

Greetings Everyone,

I have a question relating to the Brooklyn DAC+. I just picked up this DAC and have been doing some initial listening, nothing to crazy as I have not had time.  I have noticed though that ROON and Audivarna do not recognize the DSD256 capability of the unit.  The upper limit is DSD128.  I have a number of DSD256 recordings and wondered if anyone has had any experience with this an issue?  I clearly read in the spec sheet that DSD256 was supported with USB2 on OSX without need for drivers.  Any input would be appreciated. 

I do have a few other DACs and specifically my iDAC2 from (iFi) has no issues with DSD256, but just in the initial play of the MQA files I could hear a big difference in sound quality with the Brooklyn.

Brooklyn DAC+ via USB2 on iMAC running latest OSX.   

Thanks for the time!

Native DSD256 is supported with Windows Driver.

No driver with OSX, so it uses DSD DoP (not native). Likely, that is limited to DSD128, since DoP requires 2x the processing resources of native DSD, i.e. DSD256 / 2 = DSD128

mQa is dead!

• 6 months later...
On 4/28/2018 at 4:38 PM, lmitche said:

Yes, the brooklyn supports native dsd playback at dsd256.

Go for it!

I believe this is true only if the Windows driver is used. For Macs (no driver), you need to use DoP.  I'm not sure if there is a driver in the public domain to support native DSD for linux but Mytek does not offer one.

mQa is dead!

11 hours ago, John Eaton said:

Just a heads up… The launch of Roon version 1.5 yesterday came with enhanced MQA support along with Tidal MQA format information.  This is a big plus for me. 

Finally, I can see (in Roon) which albums on Tidal are MQA. Before, I had to load the Tidal app to do that.

mQa is dead!

• 4 weeks later...

Problems with Mytek driver ver. 4.36 and Windows 10 build 1803 (April 2018 Update)

Windows (build 1803), in non-exclusive mode, apparently will only work at the 44,100 sample rate with the Mytek driver v. 4.36.

All programs that use exclusive mode (sound driver) work good. But when exiting such a program and the sample rate last used is different than 44,100, trying to play sound from Windows in non-exclusive mode (e.g. Youtube), no sound will play. The DAC must be reset to 44.1K -- the DAC must be turned off and turned on again so that Windows can reset the DAC's sample rate to 44.1.

Apparently, in the Speakers Properties panel, check buttons for the DAC capabilities is missing. E.g. In prior Windows versions, one could check off various sample rates, like 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192, etc.. Now, there is no such option and Windows has presumed a 44.1K sample rate.

Are other folks experiencing this problem?

mQa is dead!

3 hours ago, lucretius said:

Problems with Mytek driver ver. 4.36 and Windows 10 build 1803 (April 2018 Update)

Windows (build 1803), in non-exclusive mode, apparently will only work at the 44,100 sample rate with the Mytek driver v. 4.36.

All programs that use exclusive mode (sound driver) work good. But when exiting such a program and the sample rate last used is different than 44,100, trying to play sound from Windows in non-exclusive mode (e.g. Youtube), no sound will play. The DAC must be reset to 44.1K -- the DAC must be turned off and turned on again so that Windows can reset the DAC's sample rate to 44.1.

Apparently, in the Speakers Properties panel, check buttons for the DAC capabilities is missing. E.g. In prior Windows versions, one could check off various sample rates, like 44.1, 88.2, 96, 192, etc.. Now, there is no such option and Windows has presumed a 44.1K sample rate.

Are other folks experiencing this problem?

Even more information.

In the Speakers Properties panel, the only sample rate that will work is the one currently set on the DAC.  Apparently, Windows in non-exclusive mode is unable to change sample rates.

mQa is dead!

On 5/28/2018 at 9:24 PM, lucretius said:

Even more information.

In the Speakers Properties panel, the only sample rate that will work is the one currently set on the DAC.  Apparently, Windows in non-exclusive mode is unable to change sample rates.

OK. I found a solution.  In the Speakers Properties panel, one needs to uncheck "Give exclusive mode applications priority".

mQa is dead!

• 11 months later...