IGNORED

Mytek new dac Brooklyn.

Would love to compare the Brooklyn head to head with the Ayre Codex and other sub-2k DAC/Amps, but the days of finding retailers to audition these things is long gone.

My baseline is the Benchmark DAC1 HDR.

Guess I'll have to buy both with a 30- or 60-day return policy.

Sent from my iPhone using Computer Audiophile mobile app

• 2 weeks later...

I feel that the hype around MQA adds to the skepticism we in this community are expressing.

Frankly, I have very little interest in replacing my lossless flac files with their MQA equivalents. Storage is cheap, and I am dubious of the claimed benefits of DAC customizations or whatever they're calling it.

What I am excited about is the prospect of getting near-lossless (my adjective for MQA encoding) 24-96, 24-192, even DXD streaming from Tidal and others. So for me, the comparisons I want to hear are:

1. For an MQA encoded DXD (say) flac file: MQA ON (claimed DXD quality) vs Off (24/44.1, at least on the 2L samples I've downloaded). If the audible benefits are evident, this would be most exciting.
  2. MQA encoded flac file, with MQA ON vs. the original hi-rez flac file (No MQA). In this scenario, I expect no benefit from MQA, but I will certainly keep an open mind, and trust my ears once this comparison is possible.

• 6 months later...
  • 9 months later...
33 minutes ago, John Eaton said:

As much as I really love the convenience of JRiver and JRemote for playing my HDTracks, a few ripped CD’s, and hopefully a growing list of MQA files, I fear attempting to rip SACD’s is beyond my comfort level.  Besides, most of my less than extensive library of SACD’s and DVD-Audio discs are multi-channel.

John,

There is no denying that ripping SACDs can be a bit fiddly, but if you have one of the players that support it, it's not that hard. And once you've done one, the remainder are a piece of cake.

Regarding multichannel - that's no problem. You actually rip in 3 steps:

• rip (and decrypt) the sacd layer from the disc onto your computer as an ISO file
  • extract the 2ch tracks from the ISO using ISO2DSD or similar
  • extract the Mch tracks in a second pass

DVD Audio is a different process, different tools, same idea.

No doubt, there is a learning curve, but it's not insurmountable.

• 4 months later...
23 hours ago, Totsipaki said:

I had a brief listen through headphones. The headphone amp section seems to be improved therefore good news for headfiers since the original one was allready great. Mid bass was fuller and had more presence through headphones (I tried a couple of them to make sure) 

Cant say that I noticed anything different to the resolution and separation but the previous version was allready too good. Maybe an A-B comparison through a speaker system might reveal improvements but I dont think It would be a night and day difference. 

I was at RMAF, and got a chance to listen to the Brooklyn+ and Brooklyn side-by-side, with my own headphones. The source was a laptop running Roon I believe. The location of the Mytek table was not the greatest, so ambient noise was an issue.

I agree with @Totsipaki that the Brooklyn+ sounded better, and his characterization of the differences as well.

But sadly, that's about all you can do at these shows. How it will sound as a DAC in your system, with your source, is hard to say. What I heard did sound promising, though.