IGNORED

stutter at start when rendering wav 24 bit 192kHz on CA 851N from NAS DS214play

Interesting that the renderer wasn't negotiating properly with a 1000Mbps hub. Its something that shouldn't happen but sometimes can.

Will have to put that one in my list of possible solutions.

Hope it all works for you now.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Solved! or so i would like to believe... I think i got it somehow nailed, and here is the story

From this case my preliminary conclusion is that 851n does not manage properly streaming of 176 / 192 kHz on gigabit LAN. To me it looks like 851n is somehow overwhelmed and does not process properly when a gigabit source is hitting its 100 Mbps port with 176 or 192 kHz streams. Perhaps 851n does not know how to signify his partner to slowdown? Or whatever the true root cause might be, i do not know...

i tried also, but have mixed results. initially i only had a sonos connect (which has 2 ethernet ports) on hand. when i used that in place of the gigabit switch, i also experienced no more stutter. but i just bought a new 10/100 switch, and replaced the sonos, and have stutter again. i will look to see if i can find some old switches or routers and test.

i have also a second issue where i get loud static sound which starting a track. i need to pause, then play and then it plays fine. it doesn't happen very much, perhaps 5% of the time.

here is a link with an example. pls turn up the volume. i experienced this even with usb playback, so probably not related to network issue.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6acbe27a3d6ff3c4&resid=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4!3422&parId=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4!159&authkey=!ApFswDiUe8iZ-c4&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share&ref=button

eric, have you experienced this issue?

anybody else, any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

thanks

Depending what switch you have... If you have some form of web interface to the switch you may be able to go in and manually set it to 100Mbps (rather than auto negotiate).

If there is a problem with negotiation between the switch and the renderer, an old fashioned dumb hub might be the solution.

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

i have also a second issue where i get loud static sound which starting a track. i need to pause, then play and then it plays fine. it doesn't happen very much, perhaps 5% of the time.

here is a link with an example. pls turn up the volume. i experienced this even with usb playback, so probably not related to network issue.

https://onedrive.live.com/redir.aspx?cid=6acbe27a3d6ff3c4&resid=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4!3422&parId=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4!159&authkey=!ApFswDiUe8iZ-c4&Bpub=SDX.SkyDrive&Bsrc=Share&ref=button

eric, have you experienced this issue?

anybody else, any ideas what is causing this and how to fix it?

thanks

tony i could not listen to the example as the link seems to not work

i have only once experienced something similar ie loud static sound at beginning of track

not reassuring experience at all and i do hope it will never occur again

but i'm just starting the network player journey and still very busy ripping cds...

tony i could not listen to the example as the link seems to not work.

sorry i'm posting another link. hopefully it will work.

i tried total 4 switches/routers which are 10/100, no gigabit, and they all still have stutter issue. strangely only the sonos connect is ok which is also 10/100. i'm not planning to use that as a permanent solution, so will still ask the service centre to follow up. anyway don't you think they should be able to do a firmware fix for that?

https://onedrive.live.com/?id=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4!3419&cid=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4&group=0&parId=6ACBE27A3D6FF3C4!159&authkey=!AnIYYjIf9_0flcQ&o=OneUp

• 2 weeks later...

There is more, and good, news!

I made contact with CA who took it up and delivered a beta firmware yesterday which i put through some test runs:

six 24 bit 192kHz flac, wav and aiff tracks (with and without cover art in metadata) were run through beta firmware in 4 different scenarios

in total 4 x 6 x 3 = 72 audio tracks of 24bit 192kHz were rendered on 851n via Netgear switch without one hitch

so at this point the beta firmware seems to work well with gigabit switch for flac, wav and aiff - did not test alac, mp3 and < 24bit 192kHz