IGNORED

WiFi DLNA Streaming Audio Drop-Outs

My set-up: Virginmedia Hub connected by Ethernet to TP-Link plugged to house electric. Similar connection from Onkyo Receiver to house electric.

Music tracks ( Mp3 and FLAC) reside on Laptop windows 10 OS. Laptop on WiFi connection to Virginmrdia Home network (laptop not wired). Serviio 1.5.2 running on laptop.

When music is played through Receiver, there is unacceptable drop-out. What could possibly be the cause?

Any help most welcome.

Thanks.

Hi Laz Baz,

Music playback dropouts when network streaming audio files are usually caused by poor data transfer rates of the network being used. Since you are using a combination of WiFi and homeplug powerline network adapters, it may be best to test each of these connections in isolation first to see which, if any, are the cause of the problem.

If it's physically possible for test porposes, I'd start first by using ethernet cables only thoughout, to make sure its not actually a fault with Onkyo Receiver and/or the Serviio UPnP/DLNA media server running on the Windows laptop.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Hi Laz Baz,

If it's physically possible for test porposes, I'd start first by using ethernet cables only thoughout, to make sure its not actually a fault with Onkyo Receiver and/or the Serviio UPnP/DLNA media server running on the Windows laptop.

John

Hi John,

Thanks for the response.

1. I connected the laptop to the hub directly with Ethernet cable (all other connections left as before) and the Onkyo shows "no items found". This has thrown my confidence. What is the reason for this?

2. I would be very grateful if you could explain the test by connecting Ethernet cables. How will the connection chain be done?

Sorry for the bother.

William

Dropouts like this are usually not related to throughput. You can stream FLAC files with a very slow network; music doesn't take up a lot of data per second. It's often caused by interference, and Powerline networks may suffer more interference than WiFi.

I'd start by the easiest thing to test, which is using Ethernet, as Cebolla said. Then try changing your WiFI channel in your router. If none of those work, it could be your power line adapters. I've used power line to an Apple TV, and never had problems even with video, so it's hard to know what could be going wrong.

I write about Macs, music, and more at Kirkville.

Author of Take Control of macOS Media Apps

Co-host of The Next Track podcast.

I'd start by the easiest thing to test, which is using Ethernet, as Cebolla said. Then try changing your WiFI channel in your router. If none of those work, it could be your power line adapters. I've used power line to an Apple TV, and never had problems even with video, so it's hard to know what could be going wrong.

I connected Ethernt cable to the receiver directly and now the Serviio server is not detected and I cannot see any files to select. So what do I do?

Perhaps I need much more basic detailed instruction how to go about doing what you and Cebolla have suggested.

Any further advice would be most welcome.

William,

From your description it appears you have connected the ethernet cables as instructed for testing, ie, the Windows laptop running Serviio to the Virgin Media router and similarly the Onkyo receiver to the router.

If this is the case and your UPnP/DLNA supporting devices can no longer detect the Serviio UPnP/DLNA media server, then it's possible your network is still expecting Serviio to be assigned to the IP given to the laptop when operating by WiFi as opposed to the new IP given by the wired connection. Normally, restarting the devices concerned, ie router, laptop & receiver, should clear this network caching effect. It may also be worth checking Serviio's console to see if it has started up correctly.

Incidentally,

what is the model of the Yamaha receiver,

how exactly are you controlling the music playback (eg from the Yamaha itself or using iOS/Android device control app or some other means)

and what model of TP-Link homeplugs are you using?

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Are you actually streaming to the Onkyo receiver or is the Onkyo receiver just opening up the remote files vi the DLNA protocol and playing them. The difference is a push vs a pull. DLNA uses HTTP1.1 to access content and that is a reliable protocol which should have no problem opening the file on the Onkyo before playing it. If that is the case you likely have some Wifi problems and the Onkyo isn't able to fully buffer the content to prevent this. As mentioned above attempt using just Ethernet and avoiding Wifi to test.

William,

From your description it appears you have connected the ethernet cables as instructed for testing, ie, the Windows laptop running Serviio to the Virgin Media router and similarly the Onkyo receiver to the router.

If this is the case and your UPnP/DLNA supporting devices can no longer detect the Serviio UPnP/DLNA media server, then it's possible your network is still expecting Serviio to be assigned to the IP given to the laptop when operating by WiFi as opposed to the new IP given by the wired connection. Normally, restarting the devices concerned, ie router, laptop & receiver, should clear this network caching effect. It may also be worth checking Serviio's console to see if it has started up correctly.

Incidentally,

what is the model of the Yamaha receiver,

how exactly are you controlling the music playback (eg from the Yamaha itself or using iOS/Android device control app or some other means)

and what model of TP-Link homeplugs are you using?

John

John,

Thank you for your patience. In my previous post may be I have not made statements that are completely true. I will repeat the testing, write down the results and post again. At the moment I need to attend to some other business.

I will post as soon as possible and also give some background information to understand my problem.

William

Kevin 1969 may also get more information from the post to follow.

John & Kevin 1969,

1. PC directly connected to Receiver by Ethernet cable (laptop still wifi connected to Virginmedia): Receiver sees Serviio (user PC). Trying to open audio, message "no item"

2. Receiver connected to TP-Link, VM Hub connected to TP-Link and PC connected to VM Hub by Ethernet: Receiver sees Serviio (user PC). Trying to open audio track, message"no item"

TP-Link AV200 Mini Powerline Adapter on Hub side 200 Mbps and TP-Link AV Powerline Adapter with AC pass through 200Mbps on Receiver side.

Receiver (Onkyo TX-NR609) operated by its remote control.

Unable to connect Receiver downstairs to Hub upstairs for reason of length of cable. But if this process is necessary to determine the fault, I will purchase one.

I trust I have provided enough info. Please feel free if I need to do anymore tests.

William

DLNA Streaming.doc

Hi William,

It's probably best not to further complicate matters when trying to isolate your music file streaming issues, by simultaneously using the latop's WiFi and wired network connections. The idea was to test each connection on the laptop separately, to see if the WiFi connection was causing the dropouts, the assumption being that the wired connection could be used as the 'good' connection to compare with.

Also, seeing as the Onkyo AVR can now no longer find the Serviio UPnP media server, it might be an idea to start afresh. That image of the Serviio console's status page you've uploaded shows that you've previously used the BubbleUPnP Android app on some device connected to the network. You should be able to use it for some further UPnP network streaming tests. The BubbleUPnP app's built-in renderer can be used as a test substitute for the Onkyo receiver and would normally be able stream the FLAC & mp3 files from Serviio without any issues.

First thing to try would to see if you can do stream and play your music files from Serviio on the Android device using the BubbleUPnP app, firstly with your laptop's original WiFi connection (and no ethernet cable to the router). Next try the BubbleUPnP app with the latop connected to the router by ethernet cable (and latop's WiFi disconnected).

BTW, presumably your Android device running the BubbleUPnP app is a tablet or phone, so is connected to the network by WiFi?

Also, what's your TP-Link's actual model number (eg TL-PA210, TL-PA211, etc)? Some models have a known problem with UPnP/DLNA connectivity and they can be identified by their serial number:

I can?t find my UPnP or DLNA server with Powerline Connection. - Welcome to TP-LINK

John

-- Jo Cox

Hi William,

It's probably best not to further complicate matters when trying to isolate your music file streaming issues, by simultaneously using the latop's WiFi and wired network connections. The idea was to test each connection on the laptop separately, to see if the WiFi connection was causing the dropouts, the assumption being that the wired connection could be used as the 'good' connection to compare with.

Also, seeing as the Onkyo AVR can now no longer find the Serviio UPnP media server, it might be an idea to start afresh. That image of the Serviio console's status page you've uploaded shows that you've previously used the BubbleUPnP Android app on some device connected to the network. You should be able to use it for some further UPnP network streaming tests. The BubbleUPnP app's built-in renderer can be used as a test substitute for the Onkyo receiver and would normally be able stream the FLAC & mp3 files from Serviio without any issues.

First thing to try would to see if you can do stream and play your music files from Serviio on the Android device using the BubbleUPnP app, firstly with your laptop's original WiFi connection (and no ethernet cable to the router). Next try the BubbleUPnP app with the latop connected to the router by ethernet cable (and latop's WiFi disconnected).

BTW, presumably your Android device running the BubbleUPnP app is a tablet or phone, so is connected to the network by WiFi?

Also, what's your TP-Link's actual model number (eg TL-PA210, TL-PA211, etc)? Some models have a known problem with UPnP/DLNA connectivity and they can be identified by their serial number:

I can?t find my UPnP or DLNA server with Powerline Connection. - Welcome to TP-LINK

John

Apology for the delay in responding to your advice.

I was having difficulty in pairing the two TP-Links for some reason. Now it is ok.

The Onkyo DLNA now sees 3 sources (shot attached).

BubbleUpnP (installed on my smart phone) was suggested to check if there are any drop-outs using this. The very few tracks that I have on my phone plays but there are very short drop-outs- not as many as when I use the Serviio. I don't understand your "The BubbleUPnP app's built-in renderer can be used as a test substitute for the Onkyo receiver and would normally be able stream the FLAC & mp3 files from Serviio without any issues" statement though.

TP-Link to Onkyo is AV 200+ Powerline adaptor with AC pass through; MAC address: 647002325450,pass word DUZZ-XEVu-EDCW-UVWA, model Tl-TA251 (UK), SN 12788800610.

TP-Link to Virginmedia is AV200 Minipowerline Adaptor, MAC address:F8D1116AF9C5,pass word KHVI-ZZRP-AATG-GSSS, model TL-PA211 (UK) Ver 1.2, SN 11B97102442. (I did not have to use any of this to set-up the TP-Links).

"First thing to try would to see if you can do stream and play your music files from Serviio on the Android device using the BubbleUPnP app, firstly with your laptop's original WiFi connection (and no ethernet cable to the router). Next try the BubbleUPnP app with the latop connected to the router by ethernet cable (and latop's WiFi disconnected)". How do I use BubbleUPnP to play the tracks that are on my laptop? Can I download BubbleUPnP on to my laptop?

John I will leave it at this at the moment till I have further instruction from you and I understand what is required.

Thanks.

William

Additional info: I used BubbleUPnP on my phone, selected local renderer, on library selected SErviio (User PC) and media audio and could select all my tracks on my laptop. My phone plays all the tracks with no drop-out whatsoever. So how can I play them through the Onkyo receiver to my HiFi set-up.

Regards

DLNA Streaming-2.doc

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry, been busy lately so forgot about this issue.

From your additional info it appears you eventually managed to get the Android smart phone to stream and play the music files (via the BubbleUPnP app) from Serviio running on the laptop. The fact that it worked without any dropouts with all relevant devices connected wirelessly to the network suggests the your WiFi is up to the job.

As an aside, you didn't mention if you had any success with my other recommendation in my last post of also trying to get the Android phone to stream and play the same music files with the laptop connected to the router by ethernet cable (& not wireless). Some routers have issues with UPnP/DLNA network streaming across the wireless/wired portions of the network and the suggestion was only to test that possibility as the cause of some of the problems you were having when you did those earlier tests.

It certainly looks like the cause of dropouts is associated with the powerline adapters you are using rather than the WiFi connection. Their models and serial numbers match the info mentioned in that link I posted last time (I'm assuming the 'Tl-TA251' you mentioned is a typo and is actually the TL-PA251), for having UPnP/DLNA device discovery issues. It's possible that this may be causing the dropouts you are experiencing and it may be worth trying the recommended TL-PA211/TL-PA251 (Except North America) firmware upgrade for both adapters. It's a shame the firmware upgrade is mentioned as untested & still in beta so never became an official release, though the adapter models are relatively old so the lack of further support is understandable.

-- Jo Cox

My 609 was picked up for repairs today and should get it back within 10 days as per Onkyo.

Now is the time to ask you all: What system are you using for streaming Music & Video that you are very satisfied with. I would be very happy to hear from you?

I need to have a fresh think as to what I should be doing.