IGNORED

My NAS build

This is what I use as NAS (this is much quieter than rackmount chassis):

CPU: Low power xeon E3-1265L V2

Motherboard: 1150 with IPMI: Supermicro X10-SLH-F

RAM: 32gb ECC

NIC: Intel x520 (ixgbe driver built in) dual SFP+ fiberoptic

Storage controller: Avago/LSI 9300-8e

Storage: PC-Pitstop 15bay SAS3 expander (tower chassis)

H80i AIO watercool

Case: Lian-Li PC-A05/PC-A41 or equivalent

Software: ZFS, iscsitarget

Custom room treatments for headphone users.

Haha, as soon as I started reading yourt build components they sounded like the recommended ones for FREENAS/ZFS.

Given how much you've contributed to the 2 Optical Networking threads, I had wondered what your won NAS was. I'm sure a few people PM'd you and brough out this thread.

I've read these tutorials and FAQs before when looking at what to do for a home server, how do you think they rank for advice vs. in your actaul experience? And what ones would you recommend reading/following?

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

What's New with FreeNAS » A Complete Guide to FreeNAS Hardware Design, Part I: Purpose and Best Practices

DIY NAS: 2015 Edition - Brian's Blog

Haha, as soon as I started reading yourt build components they sounded like the recommended ones for FREENAS/ZFS.

Given how much you've contributed to the 2 Optical Networking threads, I had wondered what your won NAS was. I'm sure a few people PM'd you and brough out this thread.

I've read these tutorials and FAQs before when looking at what to do for a home server, how do you think they rank for advice vs. in your actaul experience? And what ones would you recommend reading/following?

https://forums.freenas.org/index.php?threads/hardware-recommendations-read-this-first.23069/

What's New with FreeNAS » A Complete Guide to FreeNAS Hardware Design, Part I: Purpose and Best Practices

DIY NAS: 2015 Edition - Brian's Blog

FreeNAS looks good. I think Brian's Blog was interesting and practical.

In my own experience, I started with OpenSolaris on a 24 Bay SuperMicro SAS expander chassis to which I added a motherboard. Now its high powered but wow is it noisy due to those server PSUs. And it eats power. In my next NAS build, I went with low power and a micro ATX chassis. The PSU is much quieter as is the AIO watercooler. The external PC-Pitstop SAS2/3 expander chassis is also much quieter. ZFS is now working well on Linux so I used a Ubuntu server install.

Another resource for people is: ServeTheHome - Server and Workstation Reviews -

I am used to the command line so using Ubuntu server works fine for me. I am using an Intel x520 NIC in my NAS as well which has 2 10g fiberoptic and 2 1gbe copper Ethernet ports. I can see the attraction of FreeNAS which has a nice GUI and does ZFS under the hood. I can't recommend ZFS highly enough. I think that for many/most people, FreeNAS might be the way to go in terms of ease of use. Do you know which NICs it supports? Intel x520, Mellanox?

You are correct, with my recent diskless optical NAA, I am getting many requests about how to do this, and clearly the NAS as an iscsi-target becomes important.

Out of interest... Is your "NAS" just for audio or for video or other uses too?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Out of interest... Is your "NAS" just for audio or for video or other uses too?

Audio, video (distribution), photos, video editing ... Editing 1080p and now 4K video takes an astonishing amount of space & bandwidth!

Why not BTRFS?

Because I literally pulled the drives out of my OpenSolaris/OpenIndiana machine, and plugged them into my Linux machine and it worked. The drives are formatted the same. Love the machine/OS independence. Excellent history of data integrity. That said I've heard good things about BTRFS and would consider if just starting now.

• 4 weeks later...