IGNORED

AES DAC input

Could a more technically minded member confirm, is an AES digital connection simply SPdif via another variety of termination (i.e. alongside RCA & BNC), or is it a different interface altogether, in which case is it considered superior to SPdif or not?

Thanks

While primarily concerned with conversion; rather than supply a vague answer I'll point you in the direction of http://www.rane.com/note149.html

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks

Interesting that output level of AES seems much higher than SPdif, wonder if that influences perceived SQ?

AES is designed for "professional" signal level and SPdif is for "consumer" use—it does have a lower voltage. The sound quality, apparent volume, and s/n ratio shouldn't be affected by the signal level (standard), assuming that both the sending and receiving circuits are designed for signals at that voltage range. This doesn't mean that both inputs will play at the same volume; it depends on how much the AES signal is padded down at the receiving end. The main reason for the voltage difference is that in a professional setting, cable lengths are often much much longer than in a home environment.