IGNORED

Question for Auralic Aries Users

Ever since I've gotten my Aries, every so often, it will just shut itself off. This happens one to two times each week, and when it does, the Aries is completely dead - it will not respond to the remote and the only way to bring it back to life is by disconnecting the DC power cable from the back, wait 10 seconds and plug it back in. After doing that, it responds to the remote just fine, starts normally and operates normally.

I used to think it was related to getting software updates, but now am not so sure. Has anyone else experienced this or am I alone in this problem? I've started a support ticket with Auralic to get their feedback.

Thanks!

I must admit I've not experienced that at all. I leave my Aries on 24/7, when I'm not listening I just turn the display off and it always come straight back on when I turn the display back on.

[br]QNAP+ -> Allo DigiOne Signature -> RequisiteAudio D3rs ->  McIntosh C52 -> McIntosh MC-275 MK VI -> Harbeth 30.1's via Roon

I've had my Aries for probably 9 or 10 months now. During that time I have tried different configurations for extended periods in both wifi & ethernet configurations to two different DACs using USB, AES & coax connections. I use a Netgear R7000 router.

Apart from having to power cycle it after one very early firmware update (probably due to my eagerness to intervene more than anything else) I have not had any problems. The last few firmware updates in particular have happened seamlessly without me realising it.

Based on my experience, shutdowns like you have must be a fault with the unit or some sort of incompatibility in your setup.

edit: I also leave mine on 24/7, it would be interesting to know if you do the same?

I do leave it on 24 x 7 and only turn the display on when periodically using the remote.

For further clarification, I have the version with Femto clocks and linear power supply.

I'm wondering if it's overheating and shutting itself down. What's odd is that when it does this, it has to be disconnected from power in order to reset.

While I'm happy with the features of the Aries, my ownership experience has been a bit of a roller coaster.

I should clarify one thing - I don't know for sure that the unit shuts itself off as in no electricity to it. What I do know is when this happens, the music stops, the display is dark, and it's completely unresponsive to either Lightning DS or the remote, until I disconnect the DC power cable and plug it back in to power cycle the unit. It may still be getting electricity, but is completely locked and unresponsive.

I've seen this unresponsive mode of Aries a few times. I normally leave the display turned off, and when the unit is in the unresponsive mode I cannot turn the display on with the remote, though there were a couple of times the audio could still play normally under LDS control. This suggests the unit was still running with the display off, but stopped responding to the remote. The only way to recover is to power cycle (hit the power switch on the LPS).

One thing I've noticed is that Aries can be sensitive to internet connection disruptions. A few weeks ago I needed to reboot my D-Link wireless router which briefly cut off the Aries from the internet, and the unit went unresponsive and required a power cycle. I have not experimented to see if this is repeatable. I also made some changes to MAC address filtering on the router, but never applied filtering to either of my Aries.

With Aries running 2.5 FW for the past month and most recently 2.6.1 FW, the number of unresponsive incidences appears to have gone down, though it's hard to tell since it was never frequent to begin with.

Not that I want others to have problems, but glad to see someone else has encountered a similar problem. Diminishes the odds that my specific unit has a unique problem.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Are you using NAS or USB and what kind of DAC? Could be some combo not getting along. Mine runs 24/7 without issue and I do a power cycle just because every few weeks. If the unit is running and encounters an error, it will send a log to Auralic that can help diagnose, so log a ticket if not already done so. Know what you mean about not wanting a hardware issue and hope you can resolve...

I sometimes clear the queue and sometimes don't. The problem I periodically encounter has happened both when playing from my NAS and with the library queue clear and streaming internet radio - it just spontaneously stops playing. Hard to nail down the circumstances and I'm sure hard for Auralic to diagnose.