IGNORED

Music streamer suggestions to use with XEO 3s

Any helpful suggestions for wireless music streamer to use with Dynaudio XEO 3s? This is a secondary system so it doesn't need to be the best but I would prefer it to be wireless and UPnP compatable. Thanks in advance.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have not but if they are not wireless unfortunately they will not work for this setup. It is located in a room with no way to hardwire anything. I have an Apple TV connected now so I can access my itunes files but no way to access my other files that itunes does not allow. I've thought about a Naim UnitiQute but I really don't want to put that much cash into this. However if I can't find a cheaper solution then that is probably the way I'll end up going.

Mac Mini w/4TB external HD(minimserver)>NaimUniti 2b w/Naim Power-line>Scansonic MB 2.5>w/Naim NACA5 Speaker Cable

Auralic Aries Mini>Dynaudio XEO 3

Lack of wireless isn't necessarily an issue - add something like a AirPort Express and it works as a wireless bridge for non-wireless devices.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

Not Wireless, but have you looked at the Beaglebone and/or Raspberry Pi articles

The raspberry pi works well with a WiFi adapter as specified in the article. I havent tested any high rez files but with flac cd rips it works well. The best part is that it can also use airplay or upnp streaming when family wants to play spotify, etc.

AE is a cost-effective solution but again 16-bit only. It's "played to" via AirPlay so files inaccessible in iTunes will be a problem.

That's not how you would use the Airport Express in my suggestion. The AirPort Express would be purely a Ethernet to WiFi bridge enabling wired devices to talk to a wireless network. In this case there is no limitation.

The limitation only occurs if you are utilising the AirPlay functionality of the AirPort Express.

Eloise

---

Will a Sonos Connect work for what I've described? Will it access all of my files and play everything except DSD?

Sonos Connect is a great choice for that situation especially if you want to use any streaming services in that spot. It is however limited to 16/44 which for many is not a limitation at all. The good thing is that it will play just about any format you have ripped music to.

David