IGNORED

Marantz sneaking out NA6005 under cover of darkness

I can only assume that they dont want to cannibalise sales of the NA8005 in other markets, but it's interesting that I only became aware of this player via a 'Coming Soon' tag on a British reseller site. Further googling revealed a 599 Euro sticker on this Italian site -

Marantz NA6005 € 599 nuovo

The Italian translates to 'Available on demand or product announced' leading me to believe we are talking pre-orders but I cant find it on any of the official Marantz sites.

Marantz UK | Network Audio Player

Marantz US | Hi-Fi Components

I own the PM6005 with the venerable CS4398 chip that Marantz have tailored to suit a variety of price points and I can only speculate that Marantz will limit the 6005 to 24/192 PCM as they've done with my amp, making the jump to the 8005 and beyond a logical one for those who want DoP via the USB interface. 600 Euros isnt cheap but I expect that the US price will be more in line with the current 6005 line - Music Direct has the CD6005 at $500 so 10-15% on top of that seems about right given that they already have a lot of the networking functionality built into their HT receivers and the aging NA7004.

Reading Ken Ishiwata's claim that Marantz management in Tokyo were nervous about the NA-11S1, one can only assume that they got over that nervousness when the reviews were published and it would seem that Marantz is now keen to saturate the market with network players - I believe that this is significant for a conservative company which has continued to offer disc spinners long after Linn announced that 'the CD is dead'. I'm not silly enough to make predictions, but it will be interesting to see how well sales of their CDPs hold up when they have a network offering across every price point and the new DAC-headamp offering at an even more attractive price point than the likes of Oppo and Sony.

Marantz-HD-DAC1-rear.jpg

Not sure about anyone else here, but 3 years ago that would have lit me up like a Xmas tree with anticipation - it's only now that we have a bewlidering array of inputs and outputs on pretty much everything in the headphone world. Bring it on.

Edit - Russian site has the NA6005 slated for release in Feb 2015 - HD-DAC1 should be here in Nov.

Just one more headphone and I know I can kick this nasty little habit !

Stream Audio Marantz NA-6005 Audiophile Hálózatos média lejátszó DSD támogatással Házimozi-Hifi-High-End-Hangfal Szakáruház

k_p37_1.jpg

192kHz/24bit High Current Audiophile D/A Converter

Jitter reducer

DSD Audio Streaming via Network

192/24 files playback - FLAC, WAV, AIFF, ALAC

Gapless playback support

Optical input and output for system expansion

Dedicated headphone output stage

Wi-Fi b/g/n support with WPS, WMM, Wi-Fi sharing

Bluetooth wireless connectivity

Spotify Connect

AirPlay Music Streaming from PC/MAC or iDevices

Internet Radio

USB-A port on Front Made for iDevice and USB-HDD

DLNA ver. 1.5 certified DMP (Digital Media Player) & DMR (Digital Media Renderer)

Looks like JA's mild rebuke in the Stereophile review of the NA-11S1 had the desired effect - good to see AIFF officially supported in this player. I'm going to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on the DSD streaming claim - not sure why anyone would pay extra for the NA8005 if that's correct.

Looks like JA's mild rebuke in the Stereophile review of the NA-11S1 had the desired effect - good to see AIFF officially supported in this player. I'm going to adopt a wait-and-see attitude on the DSD streaming claim - not sure why anyone would pay extra for the NA8005 if that's correct.

Why would you think DSD won't be supported? It's supported on Marantz's SR6009 and SR7009 AV receivers and I would think the streaming module is likely to be the same. What will be different between this and the NA8005 is what comes AFTER the streaming module - perhaps a different DAC chip and then different (better on the NA8005) analogue electronics. The NA8005 may also benefit from a better PSU.

Its the same as the difference between levels of CD player in the past...

Eloise

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

All good points Eloise - even when they used the same transport and DAC chip in the CDPs it was clear that Marantz were offering something more substantial than better casework as you moved up through the line. I guess buyers will make their own decision re which of the two is better value but I stand by what I said about CDP sales vs network players - not a particularly original 'prediction' and I'll happily accept the egg on my face if Marantz are still offering CDPs across their 2-channel product range. It's not that long ago that some predicted the universal BD player would kill off the dedicated CDP - I guess there are still enough people out there who prefer a spinning disc to ripped or downloaded files.

• 5 months later...

Anyone own the Marantz NA6005 yet. If so any chance of a small review. I'm in the market for a streamer and can't find any reviews on the NA6005. I also looked at the Pioneer N-50A, got a good review on what hi-fi. Any other recommendations for streamers would be very welcome. Looking to spend £500 - £800.

many thanks Bruny

• 2 months later...

To Bruny,

I have had a Pioneer N50-a for just over a month, the first unit had problems playing internet radio and .mp3 streams from a NAS. My dealer exchanged the first unit for a second one last week and now the 2nd one suffers from the same problems. Additionally 24 bit 96 kHz flac files now have exhibited the same issues when sources from the NAS. The unit goes in to a kind of "buffering" mode with an hour glass on the screen and the music stops.

My dealer is offering the opportunity to exchange for a Marantz NA6005, hence my post here. If I go for the Marantz I will let you know how it compares to the Pioneer N50-a.

Anyone got a Marantz NA6005 yet?

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

Analogue: Rega RP1, Cambridge Audio Phono stage, amp and speakers as above.

Thanks GilesM

Not so good news about the Pioneer N50-A.I'm still on the look out mate, had high hopes for that streamer too. Hopefully whatever you replace it with works out for you. Let me know what you end up with as i would be interested to know how you get on. The new Cambridge Audio CXN also looks interesting. Look forward to hearing soon.

I'm happy to say that I received my NA6005 this past Thursday (the 11th) and have been running it in ever since.

For a $600 unit, this player sounds great. Very deep, punchy bass, tube-like midrange, silky treble, a nice wide and deep sound stage. That is in regards to both internet radio and streaming FLAC files from my NAS.

Right now I'm listening to some DSD64 and DSD128 tracks that I downloaded earlier today. I had to put them on a USB flash drive as my old Buffalo NAS doesn't want to stream DSD files. As for DSD performance? Just re-read what I wrote above and magnify it by 2! Very sweet, very delicate, very dynamic and powerful, micro and macro details are right out in the open. Not covered up and hidden at all.

I was seriously considering the 8005, but the 6005 does just about everything that 8005 does and I didn't see the increase in cost worth it. I'm certain I made the right choice.

Now I just have to figure out my NAS issue, possibly time for an upgrade.

p1249893867-5.jpg

p1249894961-5.jpg

p1249895173-5.jpg

p1249897325-5.jpg

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

I can only assume that they dont want to cannibalise sales of the NA8005 in other markets, but it's interesting that I only became aware of this player via a 'Coming Soon' tag on a British reseller site. Further googling revealed a 599 Euro sticker on this Italian site

The Marantz NA 6005 has been on the Marantz U.S. web site and in the DSD Database for awhile now. It supports DSD64 and DSD128 and sells for $649 list price in the U.S.

Marantz US | NA6005

http://www.dsd.sonore.us

Yeah, we know. That's what I just said...

Digital Sources: Bluesound Node 2 w/ iFi SPDIF iPurifier | Roku Ultra NAS: Synology DS215J running MinimServer Preamp: PS Audio Stellar Gain Cell DAC Amplification: NuPrime STA 9 x2 Loudspeakers: Sonus faber Venere 1.5 Subwoofers: JL Audio e110 x2 Remote Control: Apple iPad Mini 2 w/ BluOS Power Conditioning: APC H15 | Blue Circle Cables: Wireworld | AudioQuest | Pangea 

can you control it over ipad?

Yes; there is an iPad app supporting the amaranth NR6005.

Personally though I would install BubbleUPnPServer (presents any UPnP renderer as an OpenHome Renderer) on your network somewhere and use Lumin, Lighning DS or Linn Kazoo instead.

Eloise

---

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

+1 and unlike the latest Pioneer streamers (shame on them) you'll still have full gapless playback support, ie, gapless works with gapless supporting third party UPnP/DLNA controllers, not just the Marantz's own app.

amaranth NR6005
Liquid lunch talking, Eloise?

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

The iPad app (I'm using a stripped down iPad 2) is extremely slow and sluggish. Half the time the screen dims as that little circle thingy spins and spins, sometimes up to 30 seconds. That same iPad worked just fine on the Marantz NR1504 & SR7007 receivers as well as JRemote with JRiver.

Half the time I'm just using the standard remote that came with it.

That is really bad news about the remote app being flaky, it really puts me off when aspects like this do not work as they should.

I am still testing my N50-a. It has been performing well over the last few days, I am not convinced that changing it for the Marantz will resolve the issue.

on the other hand it might. This is really hard to solve, don't know what to do at this point.

At first I thought the Marantz looked a little ugly, but it is growing on me. My dealer recently reduced the price to £369.00 I am tempted to buy it and have both, but if the issue I have persists on both units it will be a waste of money.

However the issues with the remote would really pi** me off.

hmmm..

Digital system:  NAS (216 play), CAT. 6 cable to Marantz NA6005 network music player. Optical connection to Cambridge Audio DacMagic. Graham Slee Novo headphone amp with Grado Sr80i headphones, and Cambridge Audio 540 amp. Monitor Audio Bronze B2 speakers.

That is really bad news about the remote app being flaky, it really puts me off when aspects like this do not work as they should.

I am still testing my N50-a. It has been performing well over the last few days, I am not convinced that changing it for the Marantz will resolve the issue.

on the other hand it might. This is really hard to solve, don't know what to do at this point.

At first I thought the Marantz looked a little ugly, but it is growing on me. My dealer recently reduced the price to £369.00 I am tempted to buy it and have both, but if the issue I have persists on both units it will be a waste of money.

However the issues with the remote would really pi** me off.

hmmm..

No offence to you at all, but I bet the reason you're holding out with the Pioneer is the color screen with album art capability. That screen probably IS a strong selling point for a lot of people.

I don't have any idea on how that unit actually sounds, but I do know that the Marantz sounds sublime! All of it's functions work flawlessly, plays internet radio non-stop unless the station itself times out after several hours. Most stations will play 24/7. It easily streams all of my music file types off of my 9 year old NAS with the exception of the DSD files (which is to be expected for most NAS drives).

And quite honestly, the iPad app issue really isn't an issue for me. The Marantz remote is so clean and ergonomic that it's very easy to use and navigates through the unit very simply. I still keep the iPad close by so I can read what artist is playing from time to time if I can't quite make it out on the screen from my listening seat.

I for one would rather have a unit that operates perfectly and sounds excellent with an easy to read black & white screen than one with a smaller color screen with feature that don't perform up to standards, or at all.

At least over in the UK where you are, you have the option of getting the silver Marantz. I wish I did over here in the states.

No offence to you at all, but I bet the reason you're holding out with the Pioneer is the color screen with album art capability. That screen probably IS a strong selling point for a lot of people.

I don't have any idea on how that unit actually sounds, but I do know that the Marantz sounds sublime! All of it's functions work flawlessly, plays internet radio non-stop unless the station itself times out after several hours. Most stations will play 24/7. It easily streams all of my music file types off of my 9 year old NAS with the exception of the DSD files (which is to be expected for most NAS drives).

And quite honestly, the iPad app issue really isn't an issue for me. The Marantz remote is so clean and ergonomic that it's very easy to use and navigates through the unit very simply. I still keep the iPad close by so I can read what artist is playing from time to time if I can't quite make it out on the screen from my listening seat.

I for one would rather have a unit that operates perfectly and sounds excellent with an easy to read black & white screen than one with a smaller color screen with feature that don't perform up to standards, or at all.

At least over in the UK where you are, you have the option of getting the silver Marantz. I wish I did over here in the states.

No offence taken, you are right, I do love the screen on the Pioneer.

But I may yet end up getting the Marantz as well and moving one or other to my home cinema room. The best performer gets to stay in the music room!

Question is should I do this...hmmm...

But I may yet end up getting the Marantz as well and moving one or other to my home cinema room. The best performer gets to stay in the music room!

While not a colour screen ... is the display on the NA6005 is anything like the one on my M-CR510 then its wonderfully readable from 4-5m away.

Eloise

---

That's only a question you can answer. If you have the funds, go for it and see which one you prefer.

While not a colour screen ... is the display on the NA6005 is anything like the one on my M-CR510 then its wonderfully readable from 4-5m away.

One of my brothers has the M-CR610, and it has the same screen as the NA6005. I love the screen, clean, simple, easy to read and informative.

p1249896496-5.jpg

Most of the screen is straightforward, but what is the '100%' for? Hat does this denote?

Most of the screen is straightforward, but what is the '100%' for? Hat does this denote?

100% Buffered.

Reading Ken Ishiwata's claim that Marantz management in Tokyo were nervous about the NA-11S1, one can only assume that they got over that nervousness when the reviews were published and it would seem that Marantz is now keen

What was interesting is that after feedback from engineers (audiophile engineers I'd guess), they decided to do a pure audio device and not mix in the video capabilities of a full AVR.

Dedicated Line DSD/DXD | Audirvana+ | iFi iDSD Nano | SET Tube Amp | Totem Mites

Surround: VLC | M-Audio FastTrack Pro | Mac Opt | Panasonic SA-HE100 | Logitech Z623

DIY: SET Tube Amp | Low-Noise Linear Regulated Power Supply | USB, Power, Speaker Cables | Speaker Stands | Acoustic Panels

One of my brothers has the M-CR610, and it has the same screen as the NA6005. I love the screen, clean, simple, easy to read and informative.

p1249896496-5.jpg

Speaking of my brother's M-CR610, he just sent it back and got his money back. Even though it sounded good, it kept dropping the signal and resorting back to a different screen on the display. Plus he didn't exactly care for the fact that the unit was rather lightweight and that glossy plastic chassis attracted dust like crazy. The only reason he bought it over the NA6005 was because it had a built-in CD player.

Luckily for me, my NA6005 has been performing flawlessly with all features/functions. No glitches of any kind. (knock on wood).

Even though it sounded good, [the M-CR610] kept dropping the signal and resorting back to a different screen on the display.

Was he using it on WiFi? I found the M-CR510 was weak on WiFi.

Plus he didn't exactly care for the fact that the unit was rather lightweight and that glossy plastic chassis attracted dust like crazy. The only reason he bought it over the NA6005 was because it had a built-in CD player.

For the type of unit it is I don't mind the plastic finish. But thats personal feeling. Mine sits in the bedroom.

Eloise

---

Was he using it on WiFi? I found the M-CR510 was weak on WiFi.

For the type of unit it is I don't mind the plastic finish. But thats personal feeling. Mine sits in the bedroom.

He ran it wireless at first. After about a week or so, it started "buffering" and stopping several times throughout the day. This was with internet radio, Pandora and streaming from his NAS. He then connected it directly with CAT6. Again, it worked fine for several days then started the same buffering and stopping again. There were no firmware updates available either, so no idea if an update would have fixed things or not.

In the interim, he swapped out his Dared tube preamp for a mint Rega Cursa 3 that he just purchased, so that's keeping him happy for now. It's a vast improvement over the Dared which was no slouch in its own right.