IGNORED

Itunes on Vista

mosbrook

After downloading nearly all of my music onto iTunes, I discovered at playback, through a USB DAC, a very noticeable static on some recordings. Some music exposed it more than others, while other samples revealed none at all. The common denominator seemed to lie in music with predominate volume right around 1k Hz frequency. Dave Brubeck’s Take 5, for instance, was a particularly egregious offender. The same problem repeated itself with other outputs as well, such as the headphone jack and the speakers built into the laptop. This led me to believe it was a software issue.

Learning that Media Monkey was more compatible with Windows, I then made the subsequent downloaded and transferred my music from iTunes. I replayed the same tunes, and the static was gone. So, any insights here? Is iTunes just incompatible with Windows/Vista? Did I fail to make some back-end setting adjustment buried deep inside Windows’ or iTunes? Is this a bug iTunes just needs to correct?

I like iTunes better because it adapts more easily to my iPod, and its searchabilty for new music is unmatched. Ultimately I can use both programs for different purposes, but I’d still like to solve this issue. Any input is appreciated.

Possible that more RAM needed iTunes can command some 128MB+, if you have heaps, then read on.

Itunes playback is determined by Quicktime engine.

download the latest iTunes

Check these:

Control Panel>Quicktime (for 64bit Vista, 32bit applications>Quicktime)

Select audio Tab

Set the sound out to 44.1kHz

Size: 16bit

Channels : Stereo (L+R)

Set audio Latency to 1.500000

In the same tab, "Select audio Playback and recording Devices"

On the default sound card click properties

Select Enhanced, check mark "Disable all sound effects" Apply. This seriously really messes the sound with enhancements switched on, so switch this rubbish off.

Select Advanced Tab, check the sound card is set for 16 bit 41000Hz CD quality & OK.

done

In itunes, switch off all enhancements and the equalizer for the testing.

Although my sonic preference is with Foobar (which can play ALAC and AAC from itunes) with WASAPI, the library functions with itunes is a winner. So I use both, itunes for fun and gathering, and Foobar for sonic quality. Both are free, so win win!

If only itunes v8.x would run with WASAPI, one day I suppose, getting tired of all the Amarra hype.

AS Profile Equipment List        Say NO to MQA