IGNORED

Article: The Music In Me: Really Quite Good, Maybe Great

Very good article. I started listening to KFAT in about 1978. I was a KSAN listener at the time. Terry McGovern mentioned on his morning show that some callers mentioned some weird radio station that was just below KSAN on the dial. KSAN was 94.9 and KFAT was 94.5. I checked it out and never went back until they were off the air. I would say that listening to KFAT was a life-changin experience. It opened up a world of music I had never experienced and still listen to today. I had been listening to a station out of Los Gatos, KLGS, which was also an effort(?) of Lorenzo Milam. A friend that had his 3rd class phone license had a late night show on weekends and we used to hang out at the studio. I didn't realize the connection until much later. Anyway, thanks for the reminisces. I have only one question. How do I get a recording of "Little Bird". It was played often by Gordy and was recorded by Steve Goodman, I think.

What a coincidence. I was searching for this song a few weeks ago, after hearing it on kfat.com ... back to back with "Disco Sucks" in true KFAT fashion ... which, by the way, initially had me thinking "novelty song" so I was really knocked out when I heard how good the vocals were and how it all held together as its own thing. Loved it! So I went looking for it on the internet just a week ago and could not find it. Again today I put more effort into it, and found this article written just five days ago. Talk about intertwined...

I loved the article and the song. Thanks, Gilbert.

By the way, there's another lost KFAT song I can't locate: a version of Shel Silverstein's "Diet Song", it's not the Bobby Bare version, and it includes the "all for your sake" line from the original Silverstien lyrics.

Very good article. I started listening to KFAT in about 1978. I was a KSAN listener at the time. Terry McGovern mentioned on his morning show that some callers mentioned some weird radio station that was just below KSAN on the dial. KSAN was 94.9 and KFAT was 94.5. I checked it out and never went back until they were off the air. I would say that listening to KFAT was a life-changin experience. It opened up a world of music I had never experienced and still listen to today. I had been listening to a station out of Los Gatos, KLGS, which was also an effort(?) of Lorenzo Milam. A friend that had his 3rd class phone license had a late night show on weekends and we used to hang out at the studio. I didn't realize the connection until much later. Anyway, thanks for the reminisces. I have only one question. How do I get a recording of "Little Bird". It was played often by Gordy and was recorded by Steve Goodman, I think.

I asked the Fatheads on Facebook and they think it was Jerry Jeff on his album "Viva Terlingua."

What a coincidence. I was searching for this song a few weeks ago, after hearing it on kfat.com ... back to back with "Disco Sucks" in true KFAT fashion ... which, by the way, initially had me thinking "novelty song" so I was really knocked out when I heard how good the vocals were and how it all held together as its own thing. Loved it! So I went looking for it on the internet just a week ago and could not find it. Again today I put more effort into it, and found this article written just five days ago. Talk about intertwined...

I loved the article and the song. Thanks, Gilbert.

By the way there's another lost KFAT song I can't locate: a version of Shel Silverstein's "Diet Song", it's not the Bobby Bare version, and it includes the "all for your sake" line from the original Silverstien lyrics.

Yep, back to the Fatheads on Facebook, and we have two options for you:

and:

They also found a newer album, so you never heard it on KFAT, but for the record:

WPI - Sing A Full Song

Fatheads! What a group!

FWIW, the descendent of KFAT still lives. It is KPIG at 107.5 out of Freedom, CA or kpig.com, 96kbps stream, decent but not great quality. AFAIK, the direct lineage went KFAT -> KHIP (an AM only station, IIRC) -> KPIG. Loyal listener to them all.

Do you have a URL that works for KPIG? I haven't been able to dig it out of their website which seems to focus only on playing it though your current browser session.

Another great station (that tragically doesn't stream) is KKUP (Cupertino, CA) where many of the segments are dedicated to portions of the KFAT universe. Sully from KFAT does a Saturday afternoon segment.

Thanks,

Skip