IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here

hello all RaspBerry nerds :-)

just saw this amazing thread, after another user friendly linked to it :-)

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f22-networking-networked-audio-and-streaming/diy-network-audio-media-player-raspberry-pi-28109/

---------------

>I have tried an old mobile phone (Samsung Y) which is probably pretty obsolete technology

>(although it does rotate the screen if turned on it's side!).

>It establishes contact with the RPI but all the scripts overlaps and the Moode display is very messy.

>Is this to be expected from an 'old' phone?

Why not get a dedicated PAD for your PI player ?

one of them small android tablets 7" screen in kiosk mode, will solve exactly this,

they are ultra cheap 1/10 of the price of an ipad, but still makes one heck of a cool remote controll for your music box

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

For the record, my issues with this installation stemmed from not reading the directions fully. I have since fixed my errors and the pi is up and running without issue.

Thomas Turner

SPEAKERS - Snell Type C/V | PREAMP/DAC -  Project Pre Box S2 Digital  | SOURCE - Auralic Aries Mini | ROOM TREATMENT - LEDE, bass traps @ Rear of room, acoustic panels @ 1st reflections point: side walls | AMPLIFIER - Acurus A100

• 4 weeks later...
I want to get the setup with Toslink as long as it can render 192/24 FLAC to my Denon 3805 receiver. What name DAC is used on this?

I don't think the Toslink transmitter in the Pi/HiFiBerryDigi+ combination can handle 24/192. But the CoAx output from the Digi+ definitely will -- that's how I've connected to my Denon 4308ci, with some great sound.

Grey_Friar

I don't think the Toslink transmitter in the Pi/HiFiBerryDigi+ combination can handle 24/192. But the CoAx output from the Digi+ definitely will -- that's how I've connected to my Denon 4308ci, with some great sound.

Thanks, Grey, I'd actually need to use the coax connector as all 4 of my S/PDIF are currently in use. Since I'm Pi ignorant, wonder if any of you have any thoughts on the Google Chromecast Audio product? 96/24 output from the combo 3.5mm stereo/optical S/PDIF connector. Not sure of full DLNA compliance with my JRiver, Subsonic or WMP servers, but I suspect it's there. Comments? Thanks, guys.

a little google, and....

The HiFiBerry Digi+ is a high-quality S/PDIF output board for the Raspberry Pi model A+/B+, Raspberry Pi 2 and 3.

• Dedicated S/PDIF interface chip supports up to 192kHz/24bit resolution

• Optical (Toslink) and electrical outputs
  • Bit-perfect output, audio data stream will not be modified in any way
  • Connects directly to the Raspberry Pi, no additional cables needed
  • No soldering. The Digi+ comes as a pre-fabricated kit. You just plug it onto the Raspberry Pi B+. The board conform to the Raspberry Pi hardware-attached-on-top (HAT) specification. That means it perfectly fits your Raspberry Pi B+.
  • Directly powered from the Raspberry Pi, no additional power supply
  • Optional: high-bandwidth output transformer provides full galvanic isolation of the electrical output (not in the standard version)
  • Integrated EEPROM for automatic configuration (with write-protection).
    Note that this feature is still in development by the Raspberry Pi foundation. You will be able to upgrade your HiFiBerry DAC+ when it is officially available. The sound card already works without this feature.
  • Comes with all components required to mount it. We include 4 M2.5x12mm spacers to fix the board onto the Raspberry Pi.

a little google, and....

I stand corrected. The Toslink output on HiFiBerry Digi+ does indeed transmit 24/192, without downsampling. I tried it today with a consumer grade plastic optical cable and my Denon indicates that it is receiving the full 192 KHz.

Grey_Friar

• 6 months later...

Anyone know if anyone is sellling a prebuilt device 1 - Ethernet to coax/USB?

Best Stereo System: Wired Sonos Connect -> AQ Cinammon Digital Coax -> Marantz SA-8005 -> AA Black Momba 2 interconnects -> Marantz PM-15S2 -> Kimber 8TC speaker Cables -> Zu Soul Superfly speakers.

Ingest> NAS> Distribution: Sony Vaio Laptop ripping via ITunes to Apple Lossless, manually synced to WD Mycloud NAS, Linksys 1900AC Router, Netgear Gig E switch, generic Ethernet cables, TPLinc ethernet power line extenders.