IGNORED

Article: Geek Speak: Raspberry Pi HiFi Is Here

First - Thanks for the site and the GREAT articles. You explain things clearly and I can actually understand most of it (My fault not yours.)

Second - I bought the equipment and now have my Pi, HiFiBerry and Volumio set up working (option 1) and Thank You Very Much, it sounds great.

But... I notice you are a fan a JRiver software which I am using for the rendering and library management. I'd love your thoughts on using the JRiver Linux in liu of Volumio. Have you had a chance to play around with it on this Pi system?

Thanks for all you are doing.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I got a Raspberry PI 2 and configured it with Volumio as described in the article.

It all works fine. Highly recommended. Great alternative to commercial streaming hardware solutions.

My hardware configuration:

- Synology NAS with FLAC music library.

- Rasperry PI 2

- Audio-gd DAC/preamp connected via USB (soon to be replaced by Emotiva Stealth DC-1)

- Adam F7 active speakers

My software configuration:

- UPnP Media server on NAS

- Volumio on RPI

- Bubble UPnP on Android phone

- XiiaLive on phone

- Qobuz HiFi subscription

What I can do:

- easily play any music in the best possible quality!

- stream HiRes files from NAS

- stream CD quality files from Qobuz

- stream internet radio stations from XiiaLive

- control it all from the Android device

- play it all on high quality equipment - via speakers or headphones

- I also have the DAC/preamp connected to the TV so that all video sources (Bluray, streaming video, youtube, TV, movies) can be integrated. But that's another story.

Limitations/Challenges:

- technically, nothing!

- not very family-friendly. I've been looking for a simpler app than Bubble so that the family doesn't have to understand how to select servers and renderers and so on.

- The RPI setup was a bit of a challenge. PIWriter didn't work so I had to manually flash the SD card and it took several tries to get it going.

If anyone wants tips or troubleshooting, I'm happy to help.

• 2 weeks later...

Just my 2 cents:

I've installed Openelec on my Raspi2, in order to use it as a mediacenter (via HDMI to my HT amplifier), with a "separate daemon" running Squeezelite (via USB DAC to stereo amplifier).

So I could use both same time, with no trouble with 1080p nor SqueezeboxServer streams!

:-)

Next step will be changing the USB DAC with a I2S DAC (I think Hifiberry DAC+).

• 3 weeks later...

I am experiencing issues with trying to get my RP2 with Volumio working with my Schist Bifrost via USB, I have the Uber Analog and USB Gen2 updates. Sometimes Volumio does not recognize the Bifrost, and all I hear from the speakers are pops and clicks even when Volumio sees the Bifrsot as a "Device". The pops and clicks go away if I manually set the rate in Volumio to Medium Sync Interpolator and 16/44.1.

I just placed an order for the HiFiBerry Digi to try to run the RP2 via spdif to the Bifrost. Any thoughts why I cannot get the USB to work to the Bifrost? I am able to get my MacBook Pro to output via USB to the Bifrsot so I know the DACs input and the USB cord work properly.

I am experiencing issues with trying to get my RP2 with Volumio working with my Schist Bifrost via USB, I have the Uber Analog and USB Gen2 updates. Sometimes Volumio does not recognize the Bifrost, and all I hear from the speakers are pops and clicks even when Volumio sees the Bifrsot as a "Device". The pops and clicks go away if I manually set the rate in Volumio to Medium Sync Interpolator and 16/44.1.

I just placed an order for the HiFiBerry Digi to try to run the RP2 via spdif to the Bifrost. Any thoughts why I cannot get the USB to work to the Bifrost? I am able to get my MacBook Pro to output via USB to the Bifrsot so I know the DACs input and the USB cord work properly.

Have you try others such as Rune or Archphile. I find Archphile the most stable.

There are fundamental issues with the USB interface on the RPI. I had the same problem and tried all the solutions I could find on various forums. In the end, the only thing that worked was to set it to resample at 16/44. That's okay, but I wanted to listen to some hi-res tracks too.

I also tried Rune and Archphile. No better.

Final solution: HiFiBerry Digi+ board. Now I use the optical interface from the RPI to the DAC. It runs up to 24/196 so there are no compromises. The optical interface also electrically isolates the RPI and the DAC, if you believe that might matter.

Next time I would just buy the Cubox. The RPI, plus Digi+, plus a case adds up to approx the same price.

It runs up to 24/196

Did you mean 24/96 ... or 24/192 ... or perhaps 24/176.4?

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

SSH into the pi and increase the power to the usb outlets.

props to Krisbee

Thanks

A brief follow up on what Peter has said and the ref to his post at theaudiostandard forum. Once you have worked out how to connect to your RPi via SSH, you can log in as the "root" user with password "volumio" (unless your're not using Volumio).

Two points - (a) commands do not need to be prefixed by "sudo" , (b) the following single command will append the appropriate line of text to the "/boot/config.txt" file:

echo max_usb_current=1 >> /boot/config.txt

Then reboot your RPi either via the Volumio web interface, or via the command line:

reboot

SSH into the pi and increase the power to the usb outlets.

props to Krisbee

Thank you, this solved most of my issues. The RP now recognizes the Bifrost every time, the pops and clicks have gone away except for when I try to play 24/192 FLAC files. ALAC files play perfectly, but 24/192 FLAC files play with pops and cracks.

Any thoughts on why the FLAC files are failing?

I switched to Rune on my RP and that solved my issue with playing back 192/24 FLAC files. I am fully operational now. Thanks again for all the comments on helping me get this running.

That's good news, as I don't have a clue about the flac file problem.

I was going to suggest Moode Player but as your sorted, your sorted!

atb

Ronnie.

Thank you, this solved most of my issues. The RP now recognizes the Bifrost every time, the pops and clicks have gone away except for when I try to play 24/192 FLAC files. ALAC files play perfectly, but 24/192 FLAC files play with pops and cracks.

Any thoughts on why the FLAC files are failing?

I had the same problem with hi-res FLAC files. I could play them if I converted to wav, but not as flac.

I wonder if the ultimate answer to the USB audio issue is here

More Power For Raspberry Pi USB Ports | Hackaday

It seems that the USB ports are under-powered. Even after the software fix (in boot/cmdline.txt) the USB ports still don't meet the specified power requirements.

So if we have a PI model 2, with an ordinary phone charger for a power supply, and we are decoding hi-res flac files to output via USB, it looks like something gives up and we get "brownouts" that explain the pops and clicks.

I'm happy with my solution - install the HiFiBerry Digi+ card, use the Digi+ optical interface, and free up the USB interface on the DAC for a laptop.

I had the same problem with hi-res FLAC files. I could play them if I converted to wav, but not as flac.

I wonder if the ultimate answer to the USB audio issue is here

More Power For Raspberry Pi USB Ports | Hackaday

It seems that the USB ports are under-powered. Even after the software fix (in boot/cmdline.txt) the USB ports still don't meet the specified power requirements.

So if we have a PI model 2, with an ordinary phone charger for a power supply, and we are decoding hi-res flac files to output via USB, it looks like something gives up and we get "brownouts" that explain the pops and clicks.

I'm happy with my solution - install the HiFiBerry Digi+ card, use the Digi+ optical interface, and free up the USB interface on the DAC for a laptop.

I also have the HiFiBerry Digi+card, use the Coax SPDIF output playing into a Musical Fidelity DAC -- but have never had a problem playing 24/192 FLAC files via Volumio. I do, however, use a USB power supply from MCM Electronics designed specifically for the RPi -- it's rated for 2A at 5.1 V, so that it never drops below 5 V under load. This may, or may not, be the difference.

Regards,

Grey_Friar

I also have the HiFiBerry Digi+card, use the Coax SPDIF output playing into a Musical Fidelity DAC -- but have never had a problem playing 24/192 FLAC files via Volumio. I do, however, use a USB power supply from MCM Electronics designed specifically for the RPi -- it's rated for 2A at 5.1 V, so that it never drops below 5 V under load. This may, or may not, be the difference.

Regards,

This is a good point, I use either a Modmypi supply rated at just over 5v 2A or a mean well 4a 5v (mostly the latter)

• 4 weeks later...

Hi Everybody,

(I am using Device 2)

I got part way through the setup and now it won't allow me to see the Volumio.Local.....and on top of that in JRiver & with the Ip scanner software, it's showing two instances of the device. There must be a conflict of some kind. The funny thing is I can stream music to the device from my JRiver server.

I am using the wifi dongle with it.....

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Hi Everybody,

(I am using Device 2)

I got part way through the setup and now it won't allow me to see the Volumio.Local.....and on top of that in JRiver & with the Ip scanner software, it's showing two instances of the device. There must be a conflict of some kind. The funny thing is I can stream music to the device from my JRiver server.

I am using the wifi dongle with it.....

Thanks, any help is appreciated.

Marcels, I'm sorry but you will have to explain "Device2", I can't be arsed to find out.

One IP address is for the Ethernet connection and a separate one for the wireless.

I don't know Volumio or Jriver, but would suggest you reformat the card with the correct format tool and start again.

Also it might be a good idea to get everything set and working to your satisfaction whilst using the Ethernet connection and then do the wireless thing.

Then try Moode.

atb

Ronnie

• 2 months later...
With a little effort you can get Tidal working with the Raspberry Pi and Volumio. If you're using a NAS and install minimserver and bubbleupnp, you can use the Linn Kazoo app to access the Raspberry Pi and use your Tidal account.

I'm currently using this setup to feed a Devialet from the Raspberry Pi. It sounds good, and I haven't put my Auraliti back into the system since I got it setup.

Dear djn04!

Which Pi device config do you use with the Devialet? Do you feed the Devialet with using USB connection? thx

• 1 month later...

The Computer Audiophile,

Thank you for the great post !

Would like recommendations for setting up a headphone system. It seems that using Digi + with an external DAC and amp is best approach, although having a tough time find an inexpensive Dac with Coaxial in.

Recommendations for inexpensive coaxial in DAC ? (less than $100usd)

Recommendations for inexpensive headphone amp? (less than $100usd) or coaxial dac headphone amp combo (less than $200usd?)

Or is an option to use DAC + with a headphone amp ?

Headphones:

* Sennheiser HD650

* Sony MDR-7506

* Denon D2000

* Fostex t50rp

Thank you !

Would like recommendations for setting up a headphone system. It seems that using Digi + with an external DAC and amp is best approach, although having a tough time find an inexpensive Dac with Coaxial in.

Recommendations for inexpensive coaxial in DAC ? (less than $100usd)

Recommendations for inexpensive headphone amp? (less than $100usd) or coaxial dac headphone amp combo (less than $200usd?)

Thank you !

You might consider the highly-regarded Musical Fidelity V-Series, which I have used quite successfully. The Headphone Amp and DAC, ~ $200 - $300 originally, are both in their third generation now. You may be able to find used 1st or 2nd generation units close to your $100 targets.

Good luck,

Grey_Friar

You might consider the highly-regarded Musical Fidelity V-Series, which I have used quite successfully. The Headphone Amp and DAC, ~ $200 - $300 originally, are both in their third generation now. You may be able to find used 1st or 2nd generation units close to your $100 targets.

Good luck,

Thank you for the suggestion !

Thanks bobsherman for explaining it with videsoI also do same , powering the pi off the hifiberry card

I am not using linear power supply as I don't get one in my country. I am looking at sbooster and will order it once I have someone visiting from USA.

Another option is IFI ipower. Its not linear but company claims very less noise. No actual user review on the internet

Right now using a battery bank, yes a battery bank to charge a mobile to power up the pi via the hifiberry card.

Sound is very clean so not sure how much improvement I can get with using a linear power supply

If you have a battery bank lying around and ready to sacrifice a USB cable (you will have to remove micro USB connector and then solder to hifiberry card), then maybe you can do a comparison between linear power supply and battery bank

Thanks

Yes batteries are good and the IFI should be good also. If you have access to ebay you can find plenty that are made in China. TeraDak etc.

regards

Bob

A question on devices to control Moode on an RPI.

I have installed a Wi-Fi dongle on my RPI solely to be able to control the system wirelessly. It works faultlessly on my Hudle 2, but I am looking at something a bit smaller than the Hudle.

I have tried an old mobile phone (Samsung Y) which is probably pretty obsolete technology (although it does rotate the screen if turned on it's side!). It establishes contact with the RPI but all the scripts overlaps and the Moode display is very messy. Is this to be expected from an 'old' phone?