IGNORED

Raspberry Pi 2 (4-core) and Rune

A new 4-core Raspberry Pi arrived this morning, 30 mins later I'm enjoying the music. No clicks or dropouts with a USB connected DAC, this board appears to have the price, and the horse power, to be a serious contender. There are still things to tweak (e.g, the PSU is not linear) but so far results are excellent.

A specially compiled version of Rune (thanks to Frank Friedmann): http://www.friedmann-elektronik.de/RuneAudio-RP2/RuneAudio_rpi2_0.3-beta_20150304_2GB.img.gz

So, the setup: Mac Mini (nas), Raspberry Pi 2, iDSD nano, CA-2200, B&W 802d's.

Control is via a browser, or iPhone with MPoD.

IMG_2005.JPG

mzwzsspmittx.jpg

IMG_2002.JPG

Hi mjb,

Have you tried the Volumio distro with the Pi 2 and iFi nano iDSD DAC?

https://volumio.org/volumio-raspberry-pi-2/

It is supposed to be compatible too (so no click issues, etc):

https://volumio.org/forum/ifi-idsd-nano-and-raspberry-t2628.html

Volumio gives you the choice of an OpenHome Media (ohMedia) or standard UPnP front end to mpd, via upmpdcli: An UPnP Audio Media Renderer based on MPD

You'll then be able to use either an ohMedia or a standard UPnP control point as the user interface, so much greater choice of mature well known controller applications (and devices to run them on), eg:

Audionet Music Manager, BubbleUPnP, Foobar2000 + foo_UPnP, JRiver (+/- JRemote), Kinsky, Kazoo, Lightning DS, Lumin, etc.

John

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

Thanks John.

I have decided my SSP-800 sounds nicer (via HDMI) than the iDSD, but I had to uncomment two lines in config.txt by to make it work: hdmi_drive=2, and config_hdmi_boost=4. Now enjoying Hard-drive via USB > Pi2 > SSP-800 via HDMI > CA-2200 > 802D's.

I'm not sure about the politics, but I think RUNE came first. I've certainly had more luck with it, but perhaps I''ll give Volumio another go on the Pi2.

Oh dear, I was certainly not aware of any politics nor did I know the two developments were related!

My angle was actually to point out the usefulness of upmpdcli for providing UPnP & ohMedia support. Presumably there's no technical reason why you couldn't do a manual install of it for Rune, assuming you've done similar for Linux before.

We are far more united and have far more in common with each other than things that divide us.

-- Jo Cox

My angle was actually to point out the usefulness of upmpdcli for providing UPnP & ohMedia support. Presumably there's no technical reason why you couldn't do a manual install of it for Rune, assuming you've done similar for Linux before.

Just FYI, upmpdcli is included in rune audio too, so no need for either politics or tinkering here :)

• 9 months later...