IGNORED

The "Official" Aurender Discussion Thread

I was looking to a N10, but just for Tidal and MQA.

But if they don't do anything such as a firmware upgrade to allow MQA decoding, i cannot warm up to searching via tidal and saving to Favourites.

Do you see the duplicate albums from the aurender streamer and randomly selecting both till you find the MQA coded version and just let it play?

I just got a Node 2 to try MQA and liking it. The difference is that i can select search, select and play instantly from the BluOS as the Node is a certified player.

I wonder if this will be so for the A10 which will then be of interest. But without any update to the aurender app, i can not see how this will enable the A10 to play Tidal MQA from their APP.

I am guessing if they dont update the N devices, there won't be so for the A10 as well, sadly.

I add the MQA albums to favorites from my desktop. Shows up in the Aurender Tidal favorites in the Conductor app.

Chris is running the Beta firmware and maybe he can chime in how he searches MQA files on Tidal.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

Sorry, so how do the Aurenders currently perform software decoding to play MQA up to 24/96?

Max you are going to get with any non-MQA dac right now thru any of the Aurenders is 24-48. Not sure what you are getting with a Aurender and a MQA enabled dac.

27x17x10 Golden Ratio room,EtherRegen>Melco N1A EX H60 server/streamer >T+A Dac 200>Coda CsIB > Paradigm Personas 5f, Combak Harmonica Footers, Townshend Podiums, Custom swarm sub system , Iconoclast 4x4 UPOCC XLR cable, Townshend F1 Fractal speaker cables  SoTM dBl7 Ethernet cable, Puritan 156, Farad 3 LPS,  Synergistic, Audience,and Triode wire labs power cabling ,Stillpoints, SR fuses,GIK Slatfusors

I think I may be pulling the trigger on the A10 sometime in the next few days. I like the fact that it's mostly a one box unit. My pre/pro is the Classe ssp800, but it's pretty long in the tooth I think. Bypassing it would be the way to go for me from what I've heard about the A10 DACs.

Curious to know why more people don't own them here, or at least it seems like it. I'd be interested to hear more opinions about them.

Chris will have his review up in a bit I am sure. Most people will not pull the trigger on a 5500( street price a little less) piece until they see professional reviews. I already had a N100s and was coming from a Bryston ,Mac Mini ,Aires , streamers so I knew I liked the Aurender sound. The A10 is a great piece but really shines with a good pre-amp( as most 1 box solutions do).

Hopefully after a few reviews and maybe some press at Axpona it will take off. Looking at other MQA solutions for streamer, dac, and storage it looks like quite a value.

Analog ICs, PCs.

Sorry for not being clear.

Upgrade your power cord to something decent ( entry level Shunyata, or one of the many makers on Audiogon ) . Analog IC's are up to you and your beliefs. I use Audience Au24se but there are many fine cables out there, but to get to a decent level of performance you have to spend some dough.

I just installed Stillpoints Ultra Mini's (Set of 3)( 337.00 Shipped w/ coupon), underneath the A10 and a huge upgrade over the Synergistic MIG I was previously using.

I had to send in the Microzotl pre for a remote swap and went back to listening as a standalone. I have to say with the Stillpoint upgrade the A10 sounds pretty freaking good by itself. It certainly is amazing how power cables, IC , vibration control can affect the sound of a particular piece, and we are not talking subtle.

I guess that is what makes this hobby fun. It certainly takes a while as our systems evolve and keep improving as our knowledge and finances allow. I just wish more people enjoyed the hobby as most of my friends think I am nuts showing off a new power cord I got for Xmas. I am fortunate enough to have 3 good friends with nice systems ( Wilson, Martin Logan, Krell , tubes and SS) that we get together at least every 6 weeks or so. But most of the listening is done alone ( that's ok too... no fighting over the sweet spot).

The A10 has made the rounds and impresses in all their systems. Just waiting for the Software update for full blown MQA. I still do not think it will rival a 24-192 wav file rip from a 45 rpm album locally stored, but should be interesting to find out.....

Thanks guys. My A10 is scheduled for delivery this Friday. Can't wait!

As far as PC's, I have a Lessloss DFPC that I was using for the mac mini so I might try their ICs. Maybe see what Wireworld can bring to the table.

russellbobby, have you tried Symposium? I really liked what the Svelte Plus did for the mini so I might try that again. Thing is, they recommend that the chassis sits flat on top of the shelf for maximum benefit so I have to remove the feet on the A10. Got great results from the Rollerblocks+ also with previous CD players.

I'm curious about the Stillpoints now that you've mentioned it.

No experience with Symposium. I am sure they make great products as they have been around for awhile. I always have tried to go the cheap way( Herbies, Diy, Viprapods) but never really noticed much improvement and sometime went backwards. A friend gave me the Synergistic Migs so I used them under the A10 sitting an a 2 inch block of Maple. Couldn't really notice a big difference but couldn't hurt. I actually bought the Stillpoints for under my tube pre but that had to go back for the remote swap so I installed them under the Aurender. Didn't take long to figure out what I had been missing. So now the SR Migs are under the power conditioner and I am ordering a set of Stillpoints for the pre. Love this hobby!!

The Mytek Brooklyn DAC is a good option at its price point and plays well with the Aurender N100H.

Meridian has a few MQA models also and I suspect there will be many more MQA DACs to come soon (if not already).

MQA via Tidal is fantastic and worth the investment of an MQA DAC in my opinion.

Ok so it looks if it looks like you are going to use it a s a USB dac only, you may want to consider selling your N100H for 2k. and buying a A10. The Mytek is 1999 so that brings you to almost 4 k. A good USB cable is at least $200.00 ( on the Cheap) if you upgrade power cords you need to upgrade 1 instead of 2. If you are into isolation you worry about 1 box instead of 2. You would add an additional 2 tb of storage with the A10. As far as SQ would go I think the A10 would have an advantage over the Brooklyn ( albeit losing a lot on connectivity and a headphone amp). Street price on a A10 is at least 10% less so you are talking about less than a $ 800.00 difference when all things are considered. Just a thought

I would be really curious how the A10 compares to the N100H plus Mytek Brooklyn combined! Maybe I should try and seek out a dealer with a solid no questions asked 30 day return period and conduct the experiment?

I can save you a lot of aggravation. I had a N100s ( solid state 1 tb storage) with all the good stuff, W4S re-clocker,sbooster,LPS, Curious cables,yada,yada Using a Oppo 105d Modwright tube dac. The A10 leaves the combo in the dust. I don't think the Brooklyn can hang with the OPPO so I think it is pretty safe to say the A10 would clearly sound better. I really think the player/streamer portion of the A10 is superior to the N series. I know the literature basically states that it is a N series with a DAC but the improvement is leaps and I know the DAC section cannot be that much better then the Oppo Modwright. It could just be the integration. I really wanted to compare the player in the A10 using the Oppo Dac but everything sold so quickly I did not get a chance.

Thanks for your input!

I will say that I do suspect that the Mytek Brooklyn is most likely a superior DAC to the Oppo (and I have all of the accessories in-between as you did - a W4S RUR, Two dedicated LPSU's (one for the RUR, one for the Brooklyn), and two top of the line Cardas split cable (power and data legs separated) USB cables between Aurrender and RUR and DAC and also an Intona Isolater and also a hospital grade Ethernet isolater, etc. However, I don't doubt for a second that just simply removing the entire USB chain would not in itself increase sound quality.

Perhaps I should list my N100H and DAC (and all the USB cables and USB accessories, and two HD Plex LPSU's) and get the A10?? It's possible I could come close to an even

Exchange??

Oppo Modwright 105D Tube dac with Tube power supply. No disrespect to the Mytek, but do not think they are comparable pieces.

So my A10 finally came in about 3 hours ago. Beautiful piece, very impressive, all 22 lbs of it. The pics do it no justice.

Fired it up and it sounds great out of the box and this thing was still cold to the touch from being exposed outdoors. Initial setup was fairly easy but have to figure out how to copy files from external drive.

A few quick impressions. I can say that the SQ has definitely exceeded my expectations so far. Very airy and transparent. Love the pre-loaded tracks. Going back and forth quickly between the A10 DAC and my Classe's, there's definitely more bloom with the A10, a lot quieter too. Not sure how much it can better after another 300 hrs of break-in but if it improves another 20%, I'd be ecstatic.

Just leave it on 24/7 and give it a few weeks. To copy from the hard drive go to Disk info in settings. Look at the USB. Drive should be there. Hit copy. Done

I would agree entirely to compare an 'unknown' internal DAC with standalone DACs that have a reputation (good or bad :) ) is something to consider, quite carefully.

"Totally agree on this. Someone has to take a leap though!! Based on Aurenders other products there is a good chance it was going to be good. With a 30 day trail how can you lose.?

If an examination is made of a typical example though of Computer/NAS --> USB fixer/Ethernet Fixer --> USB fixer power supplies --> DAC & DAC Power supply in some cases, the chain is so spread out which can be measured by the yard, the propagation of uncontrolled leakage currents increases with every device connected. No more is a simple cable from a computer going to work as it did in the past.

Agree 100% But if by adding all these add ons improved the chain in between the DAC and the Player, but with removing from the chain made a significant leap in SQ of A10 it must mean the gap is that much wider.

For the A10 and others like it (Lumin D1, T1... series), the signal paths from the source to the analog out are measured in inches, or less! This right away eliminates leakage currents from everything in the chain compared with computer playback. This will have a profound impact on SQ even before the listening tests begin.

Yep

Just digressing a little here, in evaluating the A10 and what I consider its rival in the Lumin T1 and a ~ 30% price premium difference, there's a few topics still unclear, perhaps owners can mention?

- I'm lost as to what hdd1 and hdd2 are in relation to the storing files on the internal Drive, do external files need to be copied on both drives? what happened to hdd0, and is an external drive hdd3?

Only HDD1 shows in the Disk info

- One day the HDD will fail it's a sad statisitic, what does one do to make an image of the internal drive, physically remove and use a cloning device?

As always you have your files backed up and install a new drive.

- The power down sequence applies ? To my mind, and from the warnings, the A10 needs a UPS otherwise data corruption could occur...(just quoting).

You just shut it down and it goes into standby. I have had a few power interrupts and it goes thru a recovery process and never been a problem.

- Only one USB external drive

4 tB internal storage, Nas and USB HD. How much more do you need?

- NAS access is not very well explained, and it appears that all music needs to reside on the internal hard drive for I assume quicker access.

I would imagine the NAS files would be played from cache just as Tidal or other files.

- I don't see the word gapless on the A10 product page, does the A10 play, especially DSD128 gapless

Plays gapless perfect

- Can PCM files be internally upsampled to DSD

No

The Lumin doesn't have an internal drive, it's a true Ethernet renderer. Oh well, Ethernet fixers for that one.

When Chris comes out with his review, I guess we will all know. Looking at his equipment list I am sure he will put it thru the paces.

• 2 weeks later...
I just stumbled across this tutorial the Chris put out awhile ago for the Aurender Conductor app. Nice overview!!. Found a few tips I was not aware of. Thanks Chris

Chris would have a better handle on that. I hear end of the month from Aurender support.

I'm new to this forum and had a minor question.

I own an Aurender N100H and it connects to my McIntosh MAC6700 integrated amp via USB. I love my Aurender N100H and the control app is just so robust & reliable!

I noticed that sometimes when I interrupt a song via my iPad, the sound will stop and I need to power cycle my integrated amp. Any ideas?

Welcome to the forum!!

What type of files does it happen with?

Streaming or playing from the HD or Nas?

Try swapping USB cords?

Try reloading the Conductor app.

Let us know and we will try to help. You can also launch the help from the Conductor app and it will create a inquiry from Aurender.

Good luck!!

...yes. And yet, Aurender should look around for some better UI out there. If they are unable to design some good new UI, why don't they copy it then? Far east companies have never had problem with that. For example, look at Auralic's Lightninh DS soft. Such a clean, modern and fresh GUI, easy to use...

Aurender old fashioned brownish look is years behind (not talking about functionality, just terrible, out of date graphic design)...

Hi Koso,

Are you using an Aurender? Looks from your sig you maybe using an Aries. Maybe if you had an Aurender you wouldn't be worried about the brown background app and you would be enjoying the superior ( compared to the Aries) sound quality of the Aurender. Trust me I am a former Aries owner.

The Aurender is about as easy to use as it gets, The Tidal integration works flawless. The Wiki info gives you a lot of info on the artist and album, including hyper links.

Aurender certainly does not move fast. They want to make sure when they release the software it will perform as expected. Their customer support has always been exemplary.

Great company and great products!!

I fully agree with your opinion that it's really time for Aurender to bring us a large update of their UI. They used to be the king in that area, but I do feel they're losing ground and have hardly added any substantial functionality over the last few years, whereas Roon changed the server UI world in a short period of time.

I also agree on your remark on vinyl! [emoji4] Regardless of the very significant upgrades I have made in the digital area over the last years my trusted LP12 is still the best source in my system. Strange but true.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Computer Audiophile mobile app

Isn't that we are striving for is our digital side to sound like vinyl?. Adding tubes with good products like the Aurenders are getting us closer all the time. I love putting on 24-192 album rips and getting a little surface noise and ticks, just like playing the album. My audio buds come over and we can play whole or parts of a 100 songs during a session. Can't do that with vinyl.

Hi russellbobby,

yes, i am Auralic Aries user. For last few days. I've just purchased Aurender N100H, in few days will be in my system...

Ofcourse, sound quality, as well as built quality and design was the reason. In fact, the only thing i dont consider as upgrade is design of an app. Again, not talking about function or stability etc. As a designer, I really dont like overall look and feel of this app. Auralic did great job in designing their Lighting DS. Thats it.

Anyway, thanks for reassurance about oncoming quality compared to Aries:-)

Hi Koso,

Sorry about being off the cuff. I am sure you have played with an Aurender before purchasing. The Aurender's soundstage is very far back compared to the Aires "forward" sound.

Hope you have great synergy with your Pre-Dac. It may take a little getting used too.

I definitely don't agree. I want to have my albums sorted by artist last name while presented in the UI with first name and last name - I can't. Within an artist, I want my albums sorted by release year - I can't. I want to be able to manage groups of albums like box sets - I can't. I want to be able to use custom tags for filtering and sorting - I can't. I could go on for ever, but my point is that the conductor app is NOT as easy as it gets. When you have a large collection (in my case 5000+ albums in various genres) you need a lot more flexibility and possibilities than what's available today.

Yea I guess it is all what we are used to. If you are coming from Roon or a JRiver it may seem a little antiquated. Coming from loading CD's its like sliced bread.

I still bet if I ask you to search for a file you have, it may take you all of 5 seconds to find it :)

Hi Guys - I'm finishing up my Aurender A10 review this afternoon, sending it to Aurender for fact checking, then publishing it as soon as I get the OK that the review is factually correct (standard procedure).

Given the time differences between Minneapolis and Seoul, I'm guessing it will hit the front page Friday.

Looking forward to it Chris. Great to see that you have spent a month with the A10, as it really improves with time.

You have been running with the new update. Any chance the rest of us get it by tomorrow?

I wish I would have given the Aurender more break in time before upgrading my pre. After 30 days or so the gap really lessened.

Chris, what percentage is the Aurender compared to your mega-dacs? Also did you try the Aurender as a player using one of your other dacs?

Well it looks like the brown background peeps are not going to be happy with the upgrade :)

firmware upgrade for Aurender A10 just appeared

new firmware is 5.9.27 replacing 5.7.29.2

takes about 10 minutes

updated successfully

playing MQA track Joni Mitchell River from Tidal: front panel of A10 reads:

MQA Studio 192 Khz

I like the update, as not only are you receiving full MQA there are non MQA albums streaming Hi-Rez.

Blue Tofu, Nils Lofgren's Keith don't go, and Annie Lennox's Nostalgia all show 176 Khz and sound great. The Stones Tattoo You shows 88.2 . Maybe I was not paying attention to this before. Can someone else confirm.

To me the App looks exactly the same. The A10 now has analog filter settings so if someone from Aurender can come on and enlighten us that would be great.

I like the update, as not only are you receiving full MQA there are non MQA albums streaming Hi-Rez.

Blue Tofu, Nils Lofgren's Keith don't go, and Annie Lennox's Nostalgia all show 176 Khz and sound great. The Stones Tattoo You shows 88.2 . Maybe I was not paying attention to this before. Can someone else confirm.

To me the App looks exactly the same. The A10 now has analog filter settings so if someone from Aurender can come on and enlighten us that would be great.

I have not been able to duplicate the resolutions again. They all now read HiFi

In the release notes AURENDER - Reference Music System

It mentions up sampling for the A10. I haven't been able to find that feature yet. Anybody else?

IMG_1488303001.852789.jpg

I was geeked. Still can't figure it out.

IMG_1488302958.997409.jpg

IMG_1488302978.500789.jpg

Hi, are these also MQA titles.

I don't see any double albums for these titles.

Thanks

These were not MQA titles. As you can see from the posted pics they showed 176Khz. Today they only show Tidal streaming.

Loving the MQA files though.

Little more info. Password Aurender. This area is password protected [401]

And this talks about upsampling. http://support.aurender.com/a10---new-features---eng---updated.html. Looks like it may not be enabled yet in the A10

Wish Chris or someone from Aurender would jump in here and explain what the filters do and when the Upsampling feature may be enabled.