IGNORED

Specific Needs for Balanced DAC/pree, suggestions?

Hello all,

I am looking for input regarding a new DAC for my system. My current system: Synology NAS/C.A.P.S audio PC/Benchmark DAC1 USB/Sonic Frontiers Line2/McIntosh 7106/SalK SongTower (first generation). I am working on getting a fully Balanced system. I am in the process of purchasing a Krell KAV250 amplifier.

What I need now is a fully balance DAC with one analog input, a USB input, at least two analog outputs and a volume control. The input requirements and volume are so that I can experiment with using the dac as a preamp feeding directly into the amp. I would like to spend $1100 or less with a max of $1500 if an option seems very compelling. My two front runners are the Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC and the Benchmark DAC2. These two have everything that fits my needs and I can get used in my price range. Am I missing any other obvious offerings?

On a somewhat related note, my CAPS music PC is equipped with the S.O.t.M. PCI card (first generation). What is the maximum sampling rate that I can send to a DAC by USB from the SOtM PCI card? I ask because both of the new DAC’s that I am considering can play DSD files. I have no DSD files but I know that there are ways to upsample ”normal” files to DSD resolution and send to a DSD DAC. I look forward to your comments, thanks, Garth

Also, the Peachtree Grand Pre DAC appears to have all the bells and whistles but I don't know if it is a truly balanced design. I would say that I am looking for a "musical" sound that is not fatiguing. Out of these options, any opinions as to which would be the best for me? Thanks, Garth

The Grace 920... frankly, the balanced outs turn me off a bit. I woud have to get an addapter to convert to "regular" balanced connections. Also, above my price range new and I rarely see these used.

The BMC Pure Dac does interest me but there is no analog input so i'm passing on that one.

The Hegel I know nothing about but a quick check reveals no analog inputs either.

Viable options so far:

Mytek Stereo192-DSD DAC

Benchmark DAC2

Wyred 4 Sound DAC2

Peachtree Grand Pre DAC

OPPO HA-1

Emotiva Pro DC1

Grace Design m920

Based on my current setup and desires... any clear front runners... any comments?

Thanks, Garth

I'm using the DC-1 as a DAC/Pre combo, the price and feature set was the seller for me,

Turntable-analog in, SBTouch- USB, Amp-Balanced out, Sub-analog out, for sacd/dvd-a an oppo with a hdmi-embedder coax in, no DSD was not an issue for me, I convert DSF. to PCM via software, there are some nice DAC's in that list, you could always audition a few and see which sounds good to you, good luck, it's tough, the market is flooded with nice products so to say what's the best is going to be a tough one :)