IGNORED

Official TIDAL HIFI Streaming Issues Thread

Been pretty happy with Tidal.

When using the Tidal web player or the app on my Mac, I was getting dropouts and erratic playback but as soon as I switched to a player that caches the songs to RAM before playback, all those issues are 100% resolved. I use A+ and it has been great.

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

• 11 months later...

in regards to the stuttering issues, perhaps a networking issue,  has anyone adjusted their MTU settings on a PC?

Run as Administrator cmd.exe.

Trial and error find the right packet size that does not need fragmenting.  Assuming our music streams from tidal.com.  Not sure how effective but fun to try.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping Tidal.com -f -l 1500

Pinging Tidal.com [34.200.58.164] with 1500 bytes of data:
Packet needs to be fragmented but DF set.

Ping statistics for 34.200.58.164:
    Packets: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

^C
C:\WINDOWS\system32>ping Tidal.com -f -l 1450

Pinging Tidal.com [34.200.58.164] with 1450 bytes of data:
Request timed out.

Ping statistics for 34.200.58.164:
    Packets: Sent = 1, Received = 0, Lost = 1 (100% loss),
Control-C
^C

Now set the new MTU to 1450 by finding name of your interface then setting the value.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

MTU  MediaSenseState   Bytes In  Bytes Out  Interface
------  ---------------  ---------  ---------  -------------
  1500                1   19156349    5456217  Wi-Fi
  1500                5          0          0  Local Area Connection* 9
4294967295                1          0      59908  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 set subinterface "Wi-Fi" mtu=1450 store=persistent
Ok.

C:\WINDOWS\system32>netsh interface ipv4 show subinterface

MTU  MediaSenseState   Bytes In  Bytes Out  Interface
------  ---------------  ---------  ---------  -------------
  1450                1   19247052    5484615  Wi-Fi
  1500                5          0          0  Local Area Connection* 9
4294967295                1          0      60811  Loopback Pseudo-Interface 1

RIG:  iFi Zen Stream - Benchmark DAC3 L - LA4  AHB2 | Paradigm Sig S6 Cables:  anything available

16 hours ago, audio.bill said:

With all due respect you must have a very different idea of fun than I do!

ha ha, true but now that I think about it, if your streamer/player caches the file before  playback, packet fragmentation probably is not an issue.

I just chalk up all these weird intermittent inconsistent issues to the innate flaws of computer based audio.  So many pieces and bits between the music source and your system with ISP, public internet routes, protocols, equipment, cables, wifi etc.  that there is so much potential for a blip somewhere along this long long path.  But I think many of us, with all due respect, just expect things to work not appreciating or realizing all that transpires up there in this magical thing called "the cloud". 

• 3 weeks later...

Glad it is not just me, I have noticed this Tidal problem too in the last week or so with my Altair.  I get the "buffereing" message or tracks just stop and skip.  Previously things were almost perfect. 

However, streaming Spotify to my Bose TV soundbar  via S-Connect is flawless though :)

Hi-res streaming is great in theory but if it cannot be delivered reliably what good is it, but having said that, I have no doubt technology will conquer these challenges and it just might be that this product is a little bit ahead of itself, but it can and will be fixed I would bet.