IGNORED

Very Nice Oppo 10x firmware beta and controller app update released

I've known for while that using the Oppo 10x hardware as its UPNP controller sounds better than using the software apps like Kinsky or Bubble UPNP as controller. However given the klunkiness of using a dedicated controller with an HDMI connected display and the lack of media server control features with Oppo's own tablet app, convenience won out.

Oppp has since September 12 a new beta firmware version on the site (77) and the android app has been updated to version 3.0. You can now use your tablet to fully remote control the Oppo. This is a joy because it gets you the audible improvements of using the hardware controller capabilities in the Oppo + you can text string search a music category to find an album vs infinite scrolling, an option that Bubble UPNP or Kinsky didn't provide. So far I don't seem to be getting album art but I'll gladly make that trade off for better sound. And this is a beta release so there may be some defects to discover, improvements still pending.

Oppos has me really curious now about what an Oppo "115" might add for improved streaming, DSD hardware.

Regards,

Dave

Audio system

I've known for while that using the Oppo 10x hardware as its UPNP controller sounds better than using the software apps like Kinsky or Bubble UPNP as controller. However given the klunkiness of using a dedicated controller with an HDMI connected display and the lack of media server control features with Oppo's own tablet app, convenience won out.

Oppp has since September 12 a new beta firmware version on the site (77) and the android app has been updated to version 3.0. You can now use your tablet to fully remote control the Oppo. This is a joy because it gets you the audible improvements of using the hardware controller capabilities in the Oppo + you can text string search a music category to find an album vs infinite scrolling, an option that Bubble UPNP or Kinsky didn't provide. So far I don't seem to be getting album art but I'll gladly make that trade off for better sound. And this is a beta release so there may be some defects to discover, improvements still pending.

Oppos has me really curious now about what an Oppo "115" might add for improved streaming, DSD hardware.

I've had my BDP-105D since May and use it exclusively in a stereo setup with no display. The iOS apps are great - easy to use. The sound quality via XLR into my pre/power combo is superb and it plays everything. I mostly use lossless music on a NAS drive.

I don't think there is a better player that's cheaper - or a cheaper player that is better.

I did use it for a while directly plugged into my power amp (using the OPPO as a pre-amp) but since I also use a record player that was short lived. (no analogue inputs)

I would've liked USB iPhone streaming (really don't need anymore as my whole library is on network storage) - maybe the next model will??

I would like an input selector on the front.

Can't think of much else.

(I also sometimes push music to the OPPO from Media Center)