IGNORED

Sony HAP-S1 File Transfer Help

Allan F

I am assisting a friend set up his Sony HAP-S1. His flac files are organized as follows: a master 'Music' directory containing folders for each artist. Each artist folder, in turn, contains the album folder(s) for that artist. His library consists of over 8000 tracks and approx. 875 folders with the structure described.

I have tried transferring his files using Windows Explorer on his computer as his Sony player is on the same network. I basically copied and pasted the 'Music' folder to the Internal HDD drive of the Sony. Overnight, it appeared to complete the transfer. However, when viewed on the Sony's screen, a significant number of the listings come up indecipherably garbled under any category, i.e. Artist, Album, etc. When I view the files on the Sony's Internal HDD in Windows Explorer on his computer, everything appears to be normal.

I decided to delete everything and try again. I haven't used the HAP Transfer Program because it has a limit of a maximum of 100 folders in a batch and I would much prefer to do one transfer of the entire library. I don't know how the Sony's software deals with folders and metadata or what may be causing the problem.

I would appreciate any suggestions on how to avoid the problem and best transfer his music library to the Sony.

"Relax, it's only hi-fi. There's never been a hi-fi emergency." - Roy Hall

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Eloise

---

...in my opinion / experience...

While I agree "Everything may matter" working out what actually affects the sound is a trickier thing.

And I agree "Trust your ears" but equally don't allow them to fool you - trust them with a bit of skepticism.

keep your mind open... But mind your brain doesn't fall out.

My guess is that the Transfer Program encodes the music in a proprietary manner used by its hard drive so you may have to go that route in stages. I would recommend you use a wired connection as described in the guide. Did you mean HAPZ 1 ES?

Thanks for the reply. Everything that I have read states that files can be transferred using the HAP Transfer Program or directly over the network via Explorer. And yes, I mean the HAP-S1, the little brother of the HAP-Z1ES.

"Not everything that can be counted counts, and not everything that counts can be counted." - William Bruce Cameron

Thanks, Eloise. I looked there but couldn't find anything in the thread that directly addresses my problem.

Does each track have correct data embedded?

As far as I know. There is no garbled information in the metadata when viewed in Explorer.

Any chance of confirming the tags with another program besides Explorer? Try moving a few albums over and see if you can edit the tags with the Sony app?

Also, after transferring, the Sony takes a looong time to digest so move a few albums and wait for the double-arrow logo to stop then check. Good luck, it is a great player when all is set up.

"The main problem with communication is the illusion that it has been achieved"

Auralic Aries & Vega / Pass Labs XP-30 / DSPeaker 2.0 / Pass Labs XA160.5 / mbl 101E mk2

Any chance of confirming the tags with another program besides Explorer? Try moving a few albums over and see if you can edit the tags with the Sony app?

Also, after transferring, the Sony takes a looong time to digest so move a few albums and wait for the double-arrow logo to stop then check. Good luck, it is a great player when all is set up.

Actually, I viewed all of the metadata in a program called Jaikoz that I used to recover the metadata that had been lost when the library was in wav format. After converting the library to flac, Jaikoz retrieved all of the metadata from the MusicBrainz database. It took many hours, but all files appear to be properly tagged.

What I don't know is whether there are any conflicts between the tagged output of Jaikoz and the Sony software. I know that the Sony takes a very long time to transfer and organize files. As you suggest, I was thinking of transferring a sample batch and monitoring the results. However, what caused the corruption viewed on the Sony's screen remains a complete mystery.

I would recommend you use a wired connection as described in the guide.9ce11.jpg

Thank you, but I am aware of the benefits of using ethernet as opposed to wifi for file transfer. That's not the issue that I am concerned with at this time.

Try moving a few albums over and see if you can edit the tags with the Sony app? 9ce11.jpg

Thanks. Will probably do so eventually, if necessary. But, first I want to try moving batches of 100 folders or less and see if that works. There are a number of reports of problems when moving large libraries.

It's too bad that Sony has apparently produced a great piece of hardware, but its software leaves a lot to be desired.