IGNORED

Help me out here.

realhifi

Hi Chris,

A the moment, CDs constitute obviously the vast majority of available soundtracks and streaming in CD quality fits with most of the internet providers offers worldwide. It is clearly a mass market.

Furthermore, just have a look on the Chris' review ;) about the new BA RS DAC and you will maybe have a different opinion about the Redbooks...far from being dead.

For the future, we can imagine that while 4K and 8k TV streaming will be largely available, pure music offer will also evolve towards HD/VHD.

Do you have any kind of hearing defect? I'm actually truly interested in why cds affect you the way they do.

I have a friend who hears unpleasant sounds/sound that no one else does. He's not an audiophile so I didn't delve deeply into that side of things. However the sound he can't stand is something that happens in many cars. He thinks it has something to do with the motion system (tires, wheels, wind sound). He's had to buy a car that he basically dislikes a lot just because its sound doesn't aggravate his ears as much, and still he had to have it retrofitted with different tires and some other stuff. (After just riding a few miles in a "faulty" car he develops strong but temporary tinnitus).

He has a hearing defect. His hearing is down considerably in the 2 khz to 6 khz range, but perfectly normal at the high end.

By the way, he says he prefers vinyl. He says it's probably because his cd player is a very old cheapy. However he also says he doesn't mind cds.

-Chris

This is the same as asking if people like for example Barry Diament have a hearing defect. FYI, he has described the sound of Redbook CD with words like "the cassette of digital audio" and "reminiscent of a kazoo". Here is a lengthy video in which Sean Beavan talks about the subject.

Source: 24-Bit Audio Explained By Sean Beavan | Antiquiet

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
Those who find only displeasure and pain in enduring CDs should not listen to them and those who enjoy CDs should continue to listen to them. Why can’t we all get along?

Absolutely. Here's another video where Steven R. Rochlin explains how it is quite common for true audiophiles to have to miss out on some (or a lot of) recorded music as a direct result from discovering and getting used to listening to good quality sound.

If you had the memory of a goldfish, maybe it would work.
This is the same as asking if people like for example Barry Diament have a hearing defect. FYI, he has described the sound of Redbook CD with words like "the cassette of digital audio" and "reminiscent of a kazoo".

I give up. You either have no clue as to what I'm talking about, or you don't want to have a clue as to what I'm talking about.

-Chris